What are you reading?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Andrew » 25 May 2019, 22:44

I finished The Tunnel about a month ago and then re-read the first 100 pages to see if they made any more sense. They did, but the first 100 are by far the hardest. After that, the blend of memoir and never-ending griping becomes easier to follow.

Now I'm halfway through my re-read of Gravity's Rainbow. I think it's been about 10 years since I read it. I don't know if it's having read it before or the passage of time or all the difficult books I've read in the meantime (or all 3), but this reading is so much more fun. It's a big, bouncy, hallucinatory, paranoid adventure novel, and reading it too seriously misses out on how enjoyable the adventure is.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 May 2019, 14:18

GR is tough to plow through if you keep trying to chase references themes and the mountain of devices he throws in there.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Jun 2019, 22:22

After making it through The Tunnel and then finding Gravity's Rainbow much easier on the reread, I decided to take another crack at The Recognitions. I'm about 60% through, and this has to be the hardest book I've ever read. I don't know which is tougher: scenes that are 4-10 characters all talking over each other with no quotation marks or finished sentences, or the interior monologues that are nothing but dense allusions to religious history.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren