What are you reading?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7753
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: What are you reading?

Post by nicole » 06 Dec 2016, 10:22

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
nicole wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Andrew wrote:I read/skim lots of book blogs and look for people who have liked books I've liked. And I look for the reasons they've liked the same books. Amazon's suggestions (people who bought this book also bought this book, etc.) are a good starting point, too. I probably read the summaries for 20-30 books for every one book that gets added to my reading list, but it's been a long time since I started one and immediately hated it or had to force myself to finish it (fuck you, Stendhal).

edit: or pretty much exactly what Highway said!
Kindle samples are a pretty good way to, uh, sample books.
Yeah, and they're an extremely effective way to cross things off your recommendations list because they suck.
The samples as samples or the books being revealed to suck?
The latter.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3203
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Painboy » 06 Dec 2016, 12:05

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the blog idea but that's going to take a little time to find someone who shares some of my preferences. Any suggestions for a good place to start?

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17499
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What are you reading?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Dec 2016, 12:07

Painboy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I like the blog idea but that's going to take a little time to find someone who shares some of my preferences. Any suggestions for a good place to start?
Goodreads?

I've got a stack of supposedly good books I haven't even cracked open yet, but I keep seeing Goodreads pop up on various searches, so it might be worth a look.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17001
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Dec 2016, 12:10

LibraryThing is the same basic deal as Goodreads and has the added benefit of not being owned by Amazon.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7753
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: What are you reading?

Post by nicole » 06 Dec 2016, 12:19

Hugh Akston wrote:LibraryThing is the same basic deal as Goodreads and has the added benefit of not being owned by Amazon.
And additional benefits like actually being able to add the specific edition of a book you have, edit its info, etc.

Goodreads fucking sucks, ugh.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17499
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What are you reading?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Dec 2016, 12:23

nicole wrote:
Goodreads fucking sucks, ugh.
As I said, I haven't tried it, but I'm interested in why so strong an opinion. Because it's owned by Amazon? Because it seems to dwell on genre literature and user "lists"? Is it surreptitiously nudging users toward books Amazon has some sort of sweetheart deal with? What?

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7753
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: What are you reading?

Post by nicole » 06 Dec 2016, 12:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
nicole wrote:
Goodreads fucking sucks, ugh.
As I said, I haven't tried it, but I'm interested in why so strong an opinion. Because it's owned by Amazon? Because it seems to dwell on genre literature and user "lists"? Is it surreptitiously nudging users toward books Amazon has some sort of sweetheart deal with? What?
For me, it's because they don't let you choose specific editions of the books you want to add, and don't let you edit any of the books' data. My LibraryThing library includes exactly the right editions of everything I have, with the right covers, with the titles in sentence case (like in library catalogs, unlike on Amazon, which is the only source Goodreads pulls info from), etc.

And there's no question that the Goodreads community is made up of people who don't care about stuff like that, while the LT community includes people who do.

I don't care at all about being owned by Amazon or anything like that.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17499
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What are you reading?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Dec 2016, 13:10

nicole wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
nicole wrote:
Goodreads fucking sucks, ugh.
As I said, I haven't tried it, but I'm interested in why so strong an opinion. Because it's owned by Amazon? Because it seems to dwell on genre literature and user "lists"? Is it surreptitiously nudging users toward books Amazon has some sort of sweetheart deal with? What?
For me, it's because they don't let you choose specific editions of the books you want to add, and don't let you edit any of the books' data. My LibraryThing library includes exactly the right editions of everything I have, with the right covers, with the titles in sentence case (like in library catalogs, unlike on Amazon, which is the only source Goodreads pulls info from), etc.

And there's no question that the Goodreads community is made up of people who don't care about stuff like that, while the LT community includes people who do.

I don't care at all about being owned by Amazon or anything like that.
Okay, I can see how if you're a scholar or a book collector different editions of the same book would be important and I can see how, if not changing data, at least noting errors in the data as posted would be important. I'm just not sure how that makes any difference if you're looking at genre literature or any sort of contemporary fiction or, for that matter, nonfiction.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14626
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: What are you reading?

Post by dhex » 06 Dec 2016, 16:09

Painboy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I like the blog idea but that's going to take a little time to find someone who shares some of my preferences. Any suggestions for a good place to start?
i don't have any blawg suggestions because i live with a human repository of literary uh knowingfulness and all that but i would probably start by hitting up something like "last book i read that jazzed me like wynton marsalis" + reviews and going from there.

it also depends on what kind of reader you are, though. if you don't put much stock in critical assessments, i would just see what amazon says or whatever. i tend to go by author, exhaust their work, then move onto someone else.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2662
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Dec 2016, 09:07

The book I ordered, Cody Wilson's Come and Take It: The Gun Printer's Guide to Thinking Free, finally came in at B&N after only 2 1/2 weeks. I could have had it cheaper and faster through Amazon. Perhaps there is a reason brick and mortar book stores are failing.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20674
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jennifer » 17 Dec 2016, 14:01

I'm reading selections from Before the Golden Age, a science fiction anthology of 1930s pulp-magazine stories put together by Isaac Asimov. There's one 1933 story called "The Man Who Awoke" (a rich-genius scientist puts himself in suspended animation and awakens thousands of years in the future) which is full of astonishingly modern [post-1970s] ideas: thousands of years in the future, he awakens to a world where there's a major generational rivalry -- the young people hold old people responsible for failing to properly maintain today's resources for tomorrow's generation -- and the 20th century is remembered (and castigated) as the "Age of Waste," when humanity prodigally squandered all non-renewable resources. Update the language just a little, and the story sounds like an environmental sf piece written as recently as this year.

Another novella, He Who Shrank from 1936, might be one of the earliest uses of the idea of extreme scaling up and down: What if our entire universe is just an atom in a bigger universe somewhere? And what if a single atom in our universe is another universe unto itself? What if that goes indefinitely in both directions, and even comes full circle?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20674
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jennifer » 17 Dec 2016, 14:05

The writing in all the stories is "primitive" or even hack-like by today's standards, though. The actual phrase "As you know" appears a lot.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14682
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: What are you reading?

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Dec 2016, 15:48

Jennifer wrote:I'm reading selections from Before the Golden Age, a science fiction anthology of 1930s pulp-magazine stories put together by Isaac Asimov. There's one 1933 story called "The Man Who Awoke" (a rich-genius scientist puts himself in suspended animation and awakens thousands of years in the future) which is full of astonishingly modern [post-1970s] ideas: thousands of years in the future, he awakens to a world where there's a major generational rivalry -- the young people hold old people responsible for failing to properly maintain today's resources for tomorrow's generation -- and the 20th century is remembered (and castigated) as the "Age of Waste," when humanity prodigally squandered all non-renewable resources. Update the language just a little, and the story sounds like an environmental sf piece written as recently as this year.
To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9539
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Sandy » 17 Dec 2016, 17:07

lunchstealer wrote: To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22062
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2016, 17:26

Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote: To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
That would be a secondary conflict. The main conflict would be the one where I opened up both your skulls with a crowbar.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17919
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: What are you reading?

Post by dbcooper » 19 Dec 2016, 06:27

http://www.tor.com/2016/12/09/the-troub ... a-snowman/
Great Northern Development has bought a failing ski resort and in an attempt to spice things up, they hire Janice, a car model, to be Miss Great Northern Resort’s Snow Queen of 1977, but the whiny model can’t ski. She gets sent up the slopes with a studly instructor where they stumble across the Yeti who’s just minding his own business and he decapitates them with one mighty swipe of his paw.

“Janice was no longer anybody’s headache.”
:lol:
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9539
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Sandy » 19 Dec 2016, 09:02

Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote: To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
That would be a secondary conflict. The main conflict would be the one where I opened up both your skulls with a crowbar.
Literally shaking.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22062
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2016, 15:17

Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote: To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
That would be a secondary conflict. The main conflict would be the one where I opened up both your skulls with a crowbar.
Literally shaking.
Oh sorry. I forgot the JK emoji :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9539
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Sandy » 19 Dec 2016, 15:29

Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote: To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
That would be a secondary conflict. The main conflict would be the one where I opened up both your skulls with a crowbar.
Literally shaking.
Oh sorry. I forgot the JK emoji :)
Words are violence. LITERALLY SHAKING.

I need a safe space, stat.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22062
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2016, 15:40

Ouch.
I'm going to remember this Sandy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12709
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Kolohe » 19 Dec 2016, 20:04

Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote: To update this, just change the title to "The Man Who Got Woke"
Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
That would be a secondary conflict. The main conflict would be the one where I opened up both your skulls with a crowbar.
Literally shaking.
Oh sorry. I forgot the JK emoji :)
Words are violence. LITERALLY SHAKING.

I need a safe space, stat.
The best selling safe on Amazon dot com contains 0.5 cubic feet of space.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9539
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Sandy » 20 Dec 2016, 00:48

Kolohe wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote: Then the main conflict would have to be between genderfluid starfoxkin and agendered AI-kin who don't identify as people.
That would be a secondary conflict. The main conflict would be the one where I opened up both your skulls with a crowbar.
Literally shaking.
Oh sorry. I forgot the JK emoji :)
Words are violence. LITERALLY SHAKING.

I need a safe space, stat.
The best selling safe on Amazon dot com contains 0.5 cubic feet of space.
Another example of gender bias. I need more safe space but i have to spend more to get it.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5590
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Andrew » 28 Dec 2016, 20:29

I finally finished the collected fictions of Borges. It was mainly a slog because everyone has apparently been copying his ideas for ~40 years, but doing so poorly. That meant I knew where all the stories were going, so the appeal was his writing and his ability to tell a story in 4 pages that would take other authors 20+. This will be one of the rare books that I keep so I can keep going back and reading a story here and there to refresh it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5590
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Andrew » 06 Feb 2017, 16:50

The two Dirk Gently books are on sale together for $2 for the Kindle version.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Jason
Posts: 152
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 02:17
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jason » 06 Feb 2017, 18:20

Andrew wrote:The two Dirk Gently books are on sale together for $2 for the Kindle version.
A link would be nice.
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pham Nuwen and 4 guests