What are you reading?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Ellie » 16 Jan 2018, 12:08

You can re-listen through Audible even after you're not paying for the monthly membership.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 12:29

I'm new to audible. Or wife is more precisely. I was confused to learn that they are both a subscription and a purchase model. I think in the subscription model you still buy titles so re-listening is always a thing. You get like 1 $15 credit toward a book per month for the subscription, but I'm not sure if there are any included titles like Prime gets you included content plus paid.

I don't fully understand the model tbh.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jan 2018, 13:38

I haven't had a paid subscription in a while, so I don't know what content they offer for free as part of the subscription.

"Credits" basically mean free audiobooks. So a book might cost $22 or one credit. You get 1-2 credits per month (depending on your level of subscription) and then if you buy additional books that month you pay money for them instead of credits. You can bank/roll over about 6 credits, I think.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Jan 2018, 14:02

JasonL wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 12:29
I'm new to audible. Or wife is more precisely. I was confused to learn that they are both a subscription and a purchase model. I think in the subscription model you still buy titles so re-listening is always a thing. You get like 1 $15 credit toward a book per month for the subscription, but I'm not sure if there are any included titles like Prime gets you included content plus paid.

I don't fully understand the model tbh.
Basically you get 1 credit a month with a 14.95 subscription. That basically buys any one book (occasionally you can get a whole trilogy sometimes) they have for sale. Since most books are between $20-$40 dollars it's a good deal if you are consistently using one credit a month. You can accrue up to 3 credits total if you don't use them for a few months. They will also have deals where you can get another 3 credits for like $35-40 if you run out.

For me I usually find myself buying extra credits every 4-5 months as 1 credit a month isn't always enough. Especially if you pick a few shorter books. You can also outright buy stuff with cash as well.

I personally love the service and it makes my commutes far more tolerable than they would be otherwise.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 14:11

Ok thanks. I guess I had intuited there was some amount of included content like a streaming service, so when the wife said subscription and buying on top of that I was confused. It's not that bad really with one book per month.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jan 2018, 14:39

Depends on whether what you listen to is worth more than the monthly fee. As I recall, a lot is.

You can also get an audio edition of the New York Times and maybe the WSJ or at least you could.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Jan 2018, 14:51

Occasionally they have really good deals like this as well.

That's six books (66 hour length) for not much money. That's also a series I would recommend if anyone is looking for a good fantasy series. Excellent narration.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 15:00

Link looks like one triology?

Would a family need more than one account? Like could I use my wife's account like we share a prime account and add or remove books on my devices?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jan 2018, 15:27

The only problem I could see with that is that it saves your location in the book across devices, so if you're trying to listen to the same book at the same time it would mess up who's in what place. But otherwise you would use the same account. I think actually you can just attach it to your Prime account and use that sign-in.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Jan 2018, 16:51

JasonL wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:00

Would a family need more than one account? Like could I use my wife's account like we share a prime account and add or remove books on my devices?
I've never tried two devices simultaneously but they have a limit on how many devices can be used on one account. Like when I upgraded my phone I had to kill the older one's access so I would have room for the new one as I had my PC and laptop as the other devices.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Jan 2018, 17:14

JasonL wrote:

It says it's a trilogy but I think they just condensed them into three books. Each book is divided into Book 1 and Book 2. Either way it's a nice deal.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 20:56

JasonL wrote:

One reason why two accounts may be useful is if you're listening to the same book but at a different pace. That way you can pick up where you left off, rather than where the last person to use it did.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Jan 2018, 12:53

I'm reading Again, Dangerous Visions because I enjoy wildly out of date SF (okay, some is actually still remarkably good), but apparently the copy editor gave up at the 60% mark. It's now riddled with OCR errors.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Jan 2018, 02:41

Andrew wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:53
I'm reading Again, Dangerous Visions because I enjoy wildly out of date SF (okay, some is actually still remarkably good), but apparently the copy editor gave up at the 60% mark. It's now riddled with OCR errors.
Thanks, you reminded me I have been intending to buy a copy of the original Dangerous Visions for my younger son to feed his interest in both short stories and science fiction.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Feb 2018, 00:52

I've been reading through the PC Peter Grant/Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, which is pretty damn entertaining. It's series urban fantasy with a strong side of mystery/police procedural, and wonderfully snarky writing. I was pretty much hooked from the droll opening description of the sequence of events surrounding the discovery of a body and the activity of the police, CSI, etc, before the main character even showed up.

I'm reminded of some of the nicer touches of the earliest Laundry Files stories in the handling of the supernatural, with stuff evoking folklore and myth, but strange and consistent in its own way. Just more "curious person confronting the mysterious and mythic" in tone than the Laundry Files' "angry geek squinting warily at the universe".

(And in a grylliade-specific note, I'm reminded of that conversation on a previous iteration of the site where dhex (?) asked whether "urban fantasy" meant "fantasy with black people", as the protagonist and a number of other characters are black.)

However, while I like it and am already on the fourth book, I'm gonna have to recommend against you reading it, Ellie. There's some body-horror at times, which might bother you. More to the point, though, something awful happens in the first book that gets treated with minimal description and proper gravity, but I suspect you'll have to nope right out upon hitting it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Feb 2018, 10:19

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 00:52
I'm reminded of some of the nicer touches of the earliest Laundry Files stories in the handling of the supernatural, with stuff evoking folklore and myth, but strange and consistent in its own way. Just more "curious person confronting the mysterious and mythic" in tone than the Laundry Files' "angry geek squinting warily at the universe".
Sounds interesting. The library appears to have all of them, so I'll take a look.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Feb 2018, 10:34

i'd be reading demographics and the demand for higher education but JHUP only printed maybe a thousand and the kindle edition was 31 dollars. fuck that. for a few bucks more i get the hardcopy and can loan it out.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Feb 2018, 10:53

dhex wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:34
i'd be reading demographics and the demand for higher education but JHUP only printed maybe a thousand and the kindle edition was 31 dollars. fuck that. for a few bucks more i get the hardcopy and can loan it out.
31 bucks for an e-file? LOL. I bet I can get it for free.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Feb 2018, 11:56

The Culture of Narcissism by Christopher Lasch. The main book was published in 1979, and the revised afterword is from 1990. I can only imagine what he'd have to say about the rise of the internet and social media.

He's a cranky traditionalist who came from the left, which would make many of his critiques right at home in more erudite neoreactionary places. Maybe this book is popular with some of them and I'm just unaware of it. He's critical of how capitalism and liberalism have undermined traditional practices which were best at helping people find meaning, but he's not much of a fan of modern conservatism or religion, either.

I think everyone here would probably enjoy sections of this book. The parts about education, bureaucracy, and the growth of the state are extremely similar to discussions that occur around here. The discussion about how the state has moved from a paternalistic punishment mode to a therapeutic "corrective" mode is similar to concerns expressed here about the medicalization of all kinds of things.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2018, 12:27

Warren wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:53
dhex wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:34
31 bucks for an e-file? LOL. I bet I can get it for free.
Not without investing more than 20 minutes I can't. :(
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Apr 2018, 13:23

Too Like the Lighting by Ada Palmer. It's... genius? She has one of the most original visions of a future society that I have seen since Banks wrote the Culture novels or Mieville wrote The Scar. Outstanding characters, smooth narrative style, and tight story concepts that illustrate the differences that 400 years can make on humanity.

There are no nations; people choose to join one of several pluralistic, non-geographical political entities called Hives, each with a different emotional, legal, and moral code that governs its members and guests.

There is no gender; 'they' is used universally, and gender is only used to describe superficial attitude and temperament. People are male and female bodied, but names, titles, etc are so interchangeable that unless someone specifically makes note of a biological function of sex, the reader has no idea what sex any character is.

All government is polylaw, and religious beliefs are outlaw.

Ok gotta go. Check this book out.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Apr 2018, 11:02

Society-building like Banks? I'll have to give a look-see.

I think it was our Number Six that mentioned on FB about reading Annihilation and the subsequent books, where he said it was a good story that had an uneasiness & creepy factor akin to early Stephen King and some Lovecraft. So I bought Annihilation based on that, and found it to be only OK. I guess I needed more unease & creepy, and maybe a bit of outright horror? The story is intriguing, but I can't help but think it could've been written better to really ramp up the weird factor of Area X. I get that the narrative device of the unreliable narrator is a thing, but there are parts where it's just a mess of images and interpretations that hint at weirdness and horror, without actually being all that weird or horrifying.

That said, it's enjoyable enough that I picked up the next two books as well, just to see where the story goes. It's a decent supernatural mystery, if nothing else. The second book has the same not-quite-enough-weirdness problem, for me, that the first does. It's set mainly in the facility overseeing the Area X phenomenon, with flashbacks to various characters' experiences in Area X. I'm about 2/3 through it, and again, it's OK, if a little too tropey now; shadowy government organization, odd-ball scientists, facility administration hiding secrets...

At least it's a quick-read. The language isn't all that dense or chewy.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Apr 2018, 11:37

I liked the Area X trilogy, but it's on the side of hinting and talking around weirdness rather than full-on exploration. If you want more direct weirdness, the Ambergris trilogy by Vandermeer is the way to go.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Apr 2018, 12:41

Will check into it, thanks.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Apr 2018, 17:12

First fiction on audible - Artemis by The Martian guy Andy Weir. This is definitely what happens when STEM people dabble in librul arts. There is no amount of plumbing, ductwork, window materials, fuel mixes, network interfacing, fire protection, etc. that doesn't get at least 2 pages of description, often in the middle of some attempt to build tension. Rosario Dawson reading, which is actually way better than it sounded when I first saw that. She's good.