What are you reading?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: What are you reading?

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jul 2017, 23:33

Not reading it but book related-

So this showed up in my email, normally I delete their marketing without reading:
Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 11.18.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 11.18.32 PM.jpg (15.24 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Like a Boss, right?

Well played Amazon, got me to look.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 11.19.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 11.19.11 PM.png (81.79 KiB) Viewed 405 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Aug 2017, 17:12

The Lowlands by jhumpa lahiri was really goddamn good.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 18 Sep 2017, 13:26

I now get the reference to the thread "Setec Astronomy"

Ready Player One was a good read but I nearly lost it at Cory Doctorow for president of the internet. "...good job protecting my rights" my ass. Doctorow is a fucking communist.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Sep 2017, 13:38

pistoffnick wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 13:26

Ready Player One was a good read but I nearly lost it at Cory Doctorow for president of the internet. "...good job protecting my rights" my ass. Doctorow is a fucking communist.
I don't take that as a considered opinion on Doctorow so much as a very realistic portrayal of how that character might see things.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 18 Sep 2017, 15:52

I saw Doctorow at a signing a few months ago. (He was appearing jointly with Scalzi and Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy)). During the first half of the talk he totally sold me on his book. During the second half he completely un-sold me again.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Sep 2017, 16:04

Doctorow has written books that the main character in Ready Player One would like. I think it was quite appropriate for the character to support him.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Sep 2017, 19:07

pistoffnick wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 13:26

You watched Sneakers?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 19 Sep 2017, 09:00

Wait...it goes deeper?
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Sep 2017, 12:08

Doctorow's EFF just resigned from he World Wide Web Consortium, after a fight over the new DRM standard.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Sep 2017, 12:43

Amazon hooked me with the first season of The Expanse, and then cut me off unless I buy the other seasons. So I said screw it and bought the first 2 books. I'm enjoying them so far.

Although I think it would have been cheaper to just buy the seasons rather than the books. Amazon getting paid either way, though.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 19 Sep 2017, 14:17

tr0g wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:43
Amazon hooked me with the first season of The Expanse, and then cut me off unless I buy the other seasons. So I said screw it and bought the first 2 books. I'm enjoying them so far.

Although I think it would have been cheaper to just buy the seasons rather than the books. Amazon getting paid either way, though.
SYFY has the last 3-4 episodes of Season 2 on it's site. So you may only have to buy the first 6-7 if you want. The books are good though.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 20 Sep 2017, 12:22

The series, as you've probably already discovered, does not hew exactly to the books. I think it's actually a great adaptation for television, and in some cases an improvement over the books.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Sep 2017, 17:41

While taking a non-hiking day in Breckenridge, I was surprised to see a copy of The French Lieutenant's Woman at the hostel. When not doing other things, I read it and managed to complete about 4/5 of it. I need to track down a copy and finish it.

I cannot express how good it is. There are lots of critically-acclaimed books that I read where my reaction is "eh, it was good, but not worth the fuss." This one is worth the fuss. I enjoyed Fowles' The Magus, but this might be better (unless it really shits the bed in the last 1/5). It's good enough that I'm going to track down his other fiction works (aside from Mantissa, which sounds dreadful).
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2017, 18:07

if you haven't read the collector, it's a debut novel that doesn't feel like a debut novel. it's also chilling as shit.

eta: it'd be the manosphere's favorite novel if those dorks had any decent taste. this is not a strike against the novel but their lack of self-awareness.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Sep 2017, 18:19

Sandy wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 12:22
The series, as you've probably already discovered, does not hew exactly to the books. I think it's actually a great adaptation for television, and in some cases an improvement over the books.
The TV series is up and down for me when comparing the two. I don't really like the way Holden is portrayed in the TV series as comes off as kind of whiny instead just self righteous. The show also amped up what little animosity there was in the book among the crew. Likely for "dramatic" purposes I imagine but at times it seems needless and manufactured. Of course the books on the other hand tend to resolve what drama there is between the crew a little too easily.

Also while some of their casting choices have been good some have been have been pretty poor. Neither the actors who play Avasarala or Bobbie are very good for example. Their characters in the book being far more interesting.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Sep 2017, 18:22

dhex wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:07
if you haven't read the collector, it's a debut novel that doesn't feel like a debut novel. it's also chilling as shit.

eta: it'd be the manosphere's favorite novel if those dorks had any decent taste. this is not a strike against the novel but their lack of self-awareness.
I think it is in some regions of the angar internet man sphere.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Sep 2017, 19:23

Painboy wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:19
Neither the actors who play Avasarala or Bobbie are very good for example.

Bobbie, yeah. She seems to be less badass than she should be. I hope that gets better.

But Avasarala? If she's not doing the book character credit, then that's one of the greatest characters in the history of literature. She is by far the best character in the show.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Sep 2017, 19:24

The Bobbie actor is a soap-opera actor from NZ, and she is very poor.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Sep 2017, 22:05

dhex wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:07

That's on the list now, along with Daniel Martin and A Maggot. The last one sounds especially interesting.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Sep 2017, 00:20

lunchstealer wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 19:23
Painboy wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:19
Neither the actors who play Avasarala or Bobbie are very good for example.

Bobbie, yeah. She seems to be less badass than she should be. I hope that gets better.

But Avasarala? If she's not doing the book character credit, then that's one of the greatest characters in the history of literature. She is by far the best character in the show.
They make her too noble and poised in the show. In the book she was more like a scrappy terrier who barked like a doberman to make up for any perceived lack of bite. She acted as if she was constantly about to go volcanic and burn up anyone in her way. Maybe that doesn't translate to live acting but I definitely miss the book version.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Sep 2017, 00:21

Yeah ... the book's character is pretty bad.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 21 Sep 2017, 02:16

Weird. I frickin love Avasarala in both book and TV form. I thought her character was well adapted to TV and bringing her forward into the first book's dramatization was a stroke of genius. It covered up the exposition and gave relief from the two hardass guys. (Free fap material for Ellie there.)

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 21 Sep 2017, 02:21

Bobby suffers a little in the book as being a bit of a one-punch-man. She's not as bad as Rey in Star Wars, but there's a bit of it. I still like the character a lot, but she almost seems more like a comic book than a semi-hard (heheh) SF character.

I'm not especially bothered by the actress who plays her. She mostly looks the part, and I'm probably blinded a bit because of how much I like the character. She also is a little nerfed in the show, which helps.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Sep 2017, 09:16

Haven't read the books. I think Bobby is bad ass. One of the best fictional bad asses I've seen.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2017, 12:28

I found a copy of Max Brooks' World War Z, and since I'd never read it and it was so popular, I thought I'd give it a try.

It is not really that good and I don't understand why it was so popular. I mean, the overall work is not bad. I like the general concept, and the storytelling structure is pretty decent. But Brooks is just not a very good writer. All of his characters sound the same, whether they're supposed to be a Pakistani villager or the US Secretary of State or a Brazilian shopkeeper or whatever, and they all sound like they're reciting a flowery pre-written speech. Even the character who's supposed to have a mental age of four barely sounds different.

And I promise not to get too bogged down in specifics, but the Battle of Yonkers is the dumbest goddamn thing in the book, because it requires pretty much everybody, including the zombies, to behave in not only the most screamingly stupid way possible, but an extremely scripted stupid way. According to the book, it's the first major military operation against the zombies, and yet there are already millions of them. Buh? Apparently the various levels of the government and military completely failed to notice anything was happening until NYC was already completely destroyed?