Hooray for Halloween!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Hooray for Halloween!

Post by Mo » 31 Oct 2018, 08:30

Apparently, there are a series of Monster Mash sequels that are worse than the original.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/10/bobby ... ylist.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Oct 2018, 16:51

Those really are amazing pumpkin-carvings, Warren. Would the skill required to carve pumpkin shells transfer over into carving soft (pre-baked) ceramic? Because if you could make permanent candle or electric-light holders that look like that, I could see them selling for a not-insignificant sum of money. Though of course you'd need raw ceramic material, and also access to a kiln. (An IRL friend of mine makes a decent living selling her art in an Etsy shop, which is what made me think of you in this instance.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Oct 2018, 17:03

Ellie wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 19:51
Those are SICK. Sick in the good way, obviously. You're amazing.
No kidding! I think Owen Wilson said it best.

"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Highway

Post by Highway » 31 Oct 2018, 20:49

I think our neighborhood has fallen out of favor as the destination neighborhood. Volume this year was probably 1/3 to half of what it's been the last 10 years. No cars lining the street even on my cul de sac. And a much more sedate pace of people showing up, and almost no high schoolers who shave.

This is tolerable, I think. We'll see what next year is like.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Oct 2018, 21:49

One knock on the door all night. (I doubt it's just me, though; despite the many many kids in this neighborhood, hardly any of them go trick-or-treating. From my perch in the living room, I can see the majority of the complex parking lot; nary a costumed beggar in sight.) About ten minutes before trick-or-treating hours ended, the knock came: one tiny girl in a witch costume, and three costumeless girls who I suspect were over the age limit, but I wasn't about to begrudge them some free candy; since I knew by then there was no chance of me running out, I gave everyone two pieces rather than one.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 Oct 2018, 22:02

Still at the office, but I managed to get a decent version of the costume put together.

For nobody to recognize. Ah, well. (I'll see if I can get a picture; it's a hard one to get a decent selfie of it.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2018, 23:10

Rained out.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Nov 2018, 15:24

Not a one this year. As usual, I took the pups upstairs and watched TV for a couple hours while Sue handled treat-giving responsibilities. I heard a few groups go by, and the front door opening & closing a few times, but Sue said no one showed. She checked when she heard the groups too, but they all went down the little cul-de-sac across from us but never in front and further down the hill.

I wonder if it's because we're surrounded on three sides by retirees that don't put their lights on? We were the only house on our corner with the porch light on. I'd normally say it was our kinda-shitty front gate, but we leave it open on Halloween so kids don't have to deal with it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Nov 2018, 16:23

Cold but not windy. Drove block to block. Hit about 30 houses or so at most. Kids loved it.

Had a homeowner with a toddler ask me where all the trick or treaters are at around this area. Had to explain this is olde town. Lots of peeps are descendants of the original homesteaders. These people are old. Very old. Even with the recent influx.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JD

Post by JD » 01 Nov 2018, 17:22

We never get any trick-or-treaters because we live in a smallish apartment building with no kids, and Amanda's shop is on a quiet, rather industrial street, but we lay in a lot of candy, you know, just in case a ton of kids unexpectedly show up. I mean, sure, last year we were forced to eat all of it ourselves, but you never know, this year could be different.

When I was out and about in the afternoon, there were kids hitting up the businesses on the major commercial street. I was in the pet food store when a little girl came in, and she was so smitten with the store's cat who was sitting on the counter that she completely forgot about candy. It was pretty adorable.

The band had a gig in Bushwick, so we were out in hipster central, but Slut-o-ween was actually fairly restrained this year. Our bassist did show up dressed in full death metal regalia, though.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF