Hooray for Halloween!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Hooray for Halloween!

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2012, 17:53

Any plans? Any costumes? Three weeks away, but it's never too early to start planning what you'll wear. :D

I have two costume events on the calendar. The first is the evening of the 31st at church where they read "The Witch of Endor" (there are witches in the Bible I guess? I dunno, I'm too Catholic) and the kids I babysit for sometimes are planning to come in costume. They're super nerdy kiddos who have read all the right books, so I am planning to wear my wedding dress and some other accessories (a sheepskin rug as a stole if it comes in the mail in time; my square dance tiara if I can find it or one made from tinfoil if I can't) and go as the White Witch of Narnia.

I also have a grown-up party to attend and have NO IDEA what I want to go as. Definitely want to do some crossplay like last year but something people will recognize when they see it. David has an Indiana Jones hat and coat that I could use if I can't think of anything else.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Aresen

Re: Hooray for Halloween!

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2012, 18:18

What fun is Halloween if you can't push the children into the oven @ 350˚ F ?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2012, 18:28

No costume plans. But we're carving a jack-o-lantern. Mary's getting the pumpking from a cow orker. I'm told that is sizable and oddly shaped.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2012, 18:31

Ooh, jack-o-lanterns! It's been so long since I carved one, I forgot about them. They are so fun to do.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 09 Oct 2012, 19:26

Halloween, just another Catholic holiday. Another Catholic holiday allowing children to run amok (see also: St Patrick's day, Valentine's Day, Michaelmas, St Christoper's, Lady's Day, and Christmas, et al.).

Maybe I'll dress up as Max Weber?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2012, 19:35

This year we have an actual front door, so we figured we'd have trick-or-treaters and have to plan accordingly, but when I asked my neighbor how many he had last year (so I'd know how much candy to buy), he said "none." Turns out my new town has a bog-deal Halloween parade every year, and everyone in the parade is expected to hand candy out to passersby, so the local kids who want a good swag don't bother with residential homes in my neighborhood. (We live only a couple blocks away from the street traditionally shut down for parades.)

So we'll probably spend Halloween night walking through whatever they do with downtown for the Halloween parade. Probably won't dress up, though.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2012, 19:39

GinSlinger wrote:Halloween, just another Catholic holiday. Another Catholic holiday allowing children to run amok (see also: St Patrick's day, Valentine's Day, Michaelmas, St Christoper's, Lady's Day, and Christmas, et al.).

Maybe I'll dress up as Max Weber?
Dude. You're scaring me.

The origins of holidays are irrelevant. Halloween is more of a Walgreens holiday than a catholic one.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 09 Oct 2012, 20:36

I'm thinking of going as a slutty pumpkin this year.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Oct 2012, 20:40

Timothy wrote:I'm thinking of going as a slutty pumpkin this year.
there's an app for that
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 09 Oct 2012, 20:57

I loved Halloween as a kid from a hoarder perspective. I don't actually like 99% of candy, but I enjoyed collecting it. This definitely resulted in neurotic tendencies, such as choosing neighborhoods to trick-or-treat in based on how close together the houses were.

I still enjoy Halloween, as it's a good excuse to watch terrible slasher-horror movies and give myself nightmares.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 09 Oct 2012, 21:10

Rachel wrote:I still enjoy Halloween
Et tu, Rachael? ;)

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Oct 2012, 21:32

halloween is the wee one's favorite holiday so far and he'll be an astronaut this year.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2012, 22:01

Pics or you're banned for life! ;)

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Oct 2012, 22:07

terrible quality but you get the idea. will have better ones after h day.
Last edited by dhex on 09 Oct 2012, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2012, 22:08

Ummmmmm no. False. Your kiddo is a BABY. There is no way he is that big yet.

*dies of old age*

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2012, 22:09

I was thinking of being a replacement referee*. Just throwing flags to and fro and ordering the wrong drink repeatedly.

FWIW, the Witch of Endor sounds like the title of the special Ewok Halloween special.

* Primarily because I haven't been able to convince anyone else to be Frank Beard** and Dusty Hill to my Billy Gibbons for years.
** Well, Frank Beard mostly, since who wants to be the ironically named, unbearded drummer for ZZ Top
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2012, 22:11

I have an awesome costume planned but I'm not telling anyone what it is.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 09 Oct 2012, 22:17

Ellie wrote:Ummmmmm no. False. Your kiddo is a BABY. There is no way he is that big yet.

*dies of old age*
Arg, I'm going to feel really old with the Gryll kids growing up. I know dhex has now-not-a-baby liam and Number 6 has scout who must be what, 4 now? That should be illegal. Although I should approve of breeding good little libertarians - they should go out on halloween in costumes made of rearden metal
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2012, 22:38

I know, right? I trust their parents are bringing them up to be good little capitalists. Also I should probably never meet any of the Gryllspawn in real life because I will windmill my arms and shriek, "I'M YOUR INTERNET GRANDMA" and give them nightmares.

Original topic: oh how I wish I wish I wish I weren't trying to grow my hair out to girl length, so I could chop it all off into a manly side-parted cut and get a fake mustache and a golden gun and a pile of bacon the size of my head and go as Ron Swanson.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Oct 2012, 23:35

I will be drinking and consuming candy with the neighbors.

Sadly, I have no qualms about candy, so long as it doesn't contain nuts. And isn't Bit 'o Honey, the candy for people who hate candy and children.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2012, 23:43

You misspelled Good and Plenty.

BTW, Lewis Black's rant on candy corn (starting @ 2:01) is dead on.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Oct 2012, 23:51

Mo wrote:You misspelled Good and Plenty.

Isn't Good and Plenty just ghetto Starburst?

And I have a severe weakness for candy corn. I have limits, but yeah, I can hurt myself eating that stuff.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2012, 23:54

Sandy wrote:Isn't Good and Plenty just ghetto Starburst?

And I have a severe weakness for candy corn. I have limits, but yeah, I can hurt myself eating that stuff.
Nope. It's disgusting licorice in a nasty, chalky white/purple candy shell. I think you're thinking of Good & Fruity, which is ghetto Mike and Ike.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2012, 00:45

Sandy wrote:And isn't Bit 'o Honey, the candy for people who hate candy and children.
Would I like it if I just hate children?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2012, 01:12

Mo wrote:You misspelled Good and Plenty.

What sort of bizarro world do you live in? First of all candy corn tastes exactly like candy because it's over 99% sugar. Second of all it isn't fruitcake and it's eaten by the fistful. This rant is more appropriate to circus peanuts which go stale and taste like sweetened termite infested cardboard within hours of being packaged.

I'm not a fan of candy, but I have a tendency to eat it if it's setting out in a bowl.