Good Cover Versions

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Painboy

Re: Good Cover Versions

Post by Painboy » 14 Oct 2016, 16:07

Alvin and the Chipmunk songs played at 16 RPMs.

This one is my fave. Who knew a doom version of Call Me would be so cool. I love the original but this might be the best cover I have heard of it. The only thing that might make it better is if we could resurrect Peter Steele and have him do the vocals.
https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmun ... sludgefest

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Oct 2016, 16:40

Painboy wrote:Alvin and the Chipmunk songs played at 16 RPMs.

This one is my fave. Who knew a doom version of Call Me would be so cool. I love the original but this might be the best cover I have heard of it. The only thing that might make it better is if we could resurrect Peter Steele and have him do the vocals.
Also Walk Like An Egyptian gets new life. Great find.

I do wonder if they should be sped up a smidge, though. The harmonics on the guy's voice seem just a tad off, like maybe he's more of a tenor. It's not too far off, though.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Oct 2016, 17:39

I'd heard the original, normal-speed version of the Christmas song, but these are pretty entertaining.

I've been entertained by sped-up versions of songs, too. "Nightcore" started out as people speeding up trance songs, but now it's a tag for any random song some kid's sped up on YouTube and slapped some manga art on. But if you do that to, say, Sabaton's "Primo Victoria", you get something that sounds like little gnomes who are so very fucking angry about fascism.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2016, 12:33

All of her covers are amazing, but this one is particularly so:
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Oct 2016, 23:04

Some of the tracks sound like Stabbing Westward is covering the song. (Keep Me Hanging On in particular)

Edit - Venus sounds like it's being done by Black Sabbath.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Oct 2016, 23:35

thoreau wrote:
This song is being used as a main theme in the commercials for some video game coming out now. I was about to post it, until I realized it was, in fact, this singer.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Oct 2016, 00:14

Apropos for Halloween, a track that should be the theme for a period TV show about supernatural shenanigans:

"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Nov 2016, 14:30

Also, this cover track on my Halloween playlist:

"Don't Fear the Reaper" by the Beautiful South

Just a nice, snazzy, well-sung little cover.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Nov 2016, 00:11

Really a mashup, not a cover, but still:

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Jan 2017, 19:15

So I've been stabbing myself in the face with the '90s, and this one popped up on my trip-hop/big-beat station.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Feb 2017, 16:17

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 15 Feb 2017, 16:52

Nice Pixies cover, Hugh.

The Church takes on Neil Young & Crazy Horse:

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Jul 2017, 18:07

Isaac Hayes could cover the phone book and it would sound awesome.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 12 Jul 2017, 15:35

A reference to Kraftwerk in another thread reminded me of this cover I first heard when returning to Athens for college (never made time to see the band live, though).

Apologies if I have posted this before.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 12 Jul 2017, 18:26

Solitudinarian wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 15:35
A reference to Kraftwerk in another thread reminded me of this cover I first heard when returning to Athens for college (never made time to see the band live, though).
Cool version of a cool tune.

I love this version of Taxman:

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Aug 2017, 10:24

(til the Natalia Imbruglia version is also a cover)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Oct 2017, 07:12

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Oct 2017, 11:00

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Oct 2017, 00:11

I'm an absolute sucker for a Kate Bush cover.

I just didn't expect an absolutely committed nordic metal cover with some grizzled singer.

Bonus Frida cover!

(I'm also tickled by the low-budget-enough-for-early-MTV videos.)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2017, 13:33

I think I've posted this one before, but this is also a great cover:

Related - they originally did this for AV Club's Undercover series which had a lot of good recordings of great covers, and all of a sudden they're all gone. So instead of a professionally produced recording, we've got to make do with these bootleg videos from concerts. It's really sad that they're gone from both Youtube and the main AV Club site. Wye Oak also had great covers of Danzig and The Kinks, The Mountain Goats had a good cover of "Boxcar" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", and Gwar's cover of "Carry On My Wayward Son" is as amazing as that sounds. I forget some of the others, but there was a lot of good stuff out there and now it's gone.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2017, 13:47

Found that Mountain Goats cover:

And Gwar:

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 12 Oct 2017, 14:20

One of my favorite AV Club Undercovers was Reggie Watts doing a slightly re-written version of Panama.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » Today, 14:36

Love this awesome take on Dazed and Confused: