Horrible, Offensive Geekery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Horrible, Offensive Geekery

Post by Jennifer » 04 Nov 2018, 04:31

But it's not only the Las Vegans; it's also all the residents and tourists elsewhere in Nevada, and Arizona and New Mexico and the dry parts of California and similar places, and it's been going on for decades and increasing all the while. It's like, one car (or even one filthy Soviet-era factory) puts out a truly negligible amount of pollution compared to the entirety of the earth's atmosphere, but there's been enough of these to noticeably alter the planet's climate. And, of course, the planet as a whole is a hell of a lot bigger than the relatively small section of desert in the American southwest. I'm not saying the southwest should be as muggy as Georgia by now, but it seems odd that its relative humidity over the decades hasn't increased at all (I assume).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Nov 2018, 15:41

Also the heat of vaporization of water is about 2.2 mJ/kg. So to remove 340kg of water per day you have to dump about half a kWh into the air, so you're looking at best case around 50Wh for the heat pump, if every joule it moved went straight into removing water from the air, but a good portion is also going to go into cooling the air that moves through so you'd lose a lot of efficiency in that regard. I'd guess you'd be using closer to a 1 to 2 kwh but possibly even more.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Nov 2018, 15:53

Jennifer wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 00:51
Related question: why haven't desert cities like Vegas and Phoenix (or at least, places downwind of them) become more humid over time? Where does all that "imported" water/humidity go? According to a quickie Google search, Vegas had 39.1 million visitors in 2017, plus 2,204,079 people who live full-time in Clark County. (I don't know, however, if that visitor statistic is unique visitors, or hotel check-ins -- if a Californian makes six weekend trips to Vegas per year, does that count as "one" visitor or "six"?) Vegas also has 152,275 hotel rooms, AND a buttload (I could find no number more specific than that) of RV-trailer campgrounds, plus a smaller number of campgrounds allowing tent campers. So, conservatively estimating only two-thirds of those hotel rooms are full at any given time, with only two people per room, plus 3,000 campers at any given time -- and I strongly suspect I am severely underestimating the number of tourists there at any given time -- there's at least 2.5 million people in Clark County alone, all drinking water or other liquids brought in from elsewhere, all letting out a little water every time they exhale and losing more through perspiration, MOST of them also washing their clothes while they're there (and all of them either washing their own dishes, or eating off dishes which someone else must wash), PLUS all those elaborate fountains and swimming pools and the like--and Vegas has been a glitzy tourist attraction longer than anyone on this forum has been alive. Water or other fluids certain soon to evaporate and potentially become humidity has been brought into that area in ever-increasing numbers for three or four generations now, yet neither Vegas nor any other desert city is getting less arid as a result. So where does that humidity go?
Same place all the other humidity goes. Rain drops close to 40 million tons of water on Las Vegas every year. Some of it runs off into the Colorado and some goes into the ground to become groundwater, but a huge chunk will evaporate back off. Insolation and wind move almost all of that water out. There is a humidity island effect around cities, but not enough to really put much dent in the humidity before the slightly more humid air is moved out by regular atmospheric circulation.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR