Horrible, Offensive Geekery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Horrible, Offensive Geekery

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jul 2017, 21:08

Semi-related article in the Atlantic about a professor at Maryland's Washington College (which, IIRC, a certain Gryllmember is or was attached to?) whose anthropology course teaches students certain skills which early nomadic humans had (icnluding making and using stone tools):

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... an/517815/
Before the first crude blades were employed in East Africa some 3.4 million years ago, Schindler likes to remind his students, our hominid forebears had no way to slash through tough animal hide to get at the nutrient-dense meat and organs beneath. The development of stone tools (together with the control of fire, which Schindler believes occurred 2 million years ago) initiated a nutritional revolution. In part because of all the fat- and protein-rich food that was suddenly available, our ancestors’ brain and body size increased rapidly, culminating in the emergence of anatomically modern humans in the Middle Paleolithic period, some 200,000 years ago.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jul 2017, 23:13

Bill is the best dude
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Horrible, Offensive Geekery

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jul 2017, 11:27

A friend at Comic Con (Denver).

It's the bruises that make it. Danger zone.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 19:23

lunchstealer wrote:A friend at Comic Con (Denver).
Which one is your friend? Who are the other two?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jul 2017, 02:54

My friend is the dude. The other two are randos doing Lana & Cheryl from Archer.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2017, 09:43

lunchstealer wrote:My friend is the dude. The other two are randos doing Lana & Cheryl from Archer.
I see. If you hadn't mentioned the bruises I wouldn't have recognized it as cosplay.
*googles*
I'll forgive Lana's hair, but she needs padding.
So I take it Cheryl is a glue sniffer and was choked to death. Yes?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Jul 2017, 13:52

She's way too far into BDSM/breathplay for anyone's comfort, and getting choked/forcing people to choke her is a running gag.

Ha. Gag. Phrasing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2017, 13:54

Erotic asphyxiation? Kinky.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jul 2017, 14:05

Warren wrote:Erotic asphyxiation? Kinky.
Sounds Kung Fulish.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2017, 17:02

Jennifer wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 04:22

*When I got home from today's walk, I saw that I'd actually perspired through one side of my straw sun hat. And high temperatures have still only been in the 80s! When they get up to the 90s in a couple weeks, I dunno if even the combination of my new sun-blocking clothes and the "found-money game" will get me out of this apartment unless I absolutely have to go someplace.
And the answer is .... no. No, they will not. I'm back to living under the same self-imposed house arrest I adopted upon moving here last summer.

A few nights ago, Jeff and I attended a Moody Blues concert at an outdoor venue. After the concert, we trudged back to the car and got there at 10:30 at night (according to the dashboard clock) ... and it was still 84 degrees with thick humidity, and I was still slimy and gross after walking only a couple of blocks. I'm not used to being that overheated more than an hour after sunset.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Oct 2017, 00:22

After studying a little Spanish phonetics, I just realized why, exactly, I kept running into conlangs that mentioned using Spanish vowels. There are only five! It's easy mode!

(Some friends asked me to do NaNoWriMo with them, so I'm doing a post-post-post-apocalyptic fantasy where people in the area speak a far-future language that started out as a Spanish/English hybrid. As I'm not going to invent a whole damn language for something I'll be using in a few days and maybe for a month, I just worked out the sequence of sound changes that I can use to convert proper names, with a sensible-ish way to spell them. "Alan" becomes "Ilonn", etc. )
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 26 Oct 2017, 02:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 00:22
After studying a little Spanish phonetics, I just realized why, exactly, I kept running into conlangs that mentioned using Spanish vowels. There are only five! It's easy mode!

(Some friends asked me to do NaNoWriMo with them, so I'm doing a post-post-post-apocalyptic fantasy where people in the area speak a far-future language that started out as a Spanish/English hybrid. As I'm not going to invent a whole damn language for something I'll be using in a few days and maybe for a month, I just worked out the sequence of sound changes that I can use to convert proper names, with a sensible-ish way to spell them. "Alan" becomes "Ilonn", etc. )
I would call those "Italianate" vowels, but yeah. Those are by far the five most common vowel sounds, I think; it's also the five fundamental vowels you get in Japanese, for instance. Most English vowel sounds are just modifications and combinations of those anyway. (Our long "a" is really an ei in Italianate vowels, for instance. And our long "i" is "ai" in Italianate vowels).

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2017, 04:20

Jadagul wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 02:52
I would call those "Italianate" vowels, but yeah. Those are by far the five most common vowel sounds, I think; it's also the five fundamental vowels you get in Japanese, for instance. Most English vowel sounds are just modifications and combinations of those anyway. (Our long "a" is really an ei in Italianate vowels, for instance. And our long "i" is "ai" in Italianate vowels).
Latinate, I suppose; /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/ and /u/ have those representations in IPA due to Latin pronunciation.

But then, all vowels are just modifications of "moving air over your vocal cords". As for combination vowels, English has 12 pure vowel sounds without going near diphthongs. The Latin five aren't any more elemental than any other monophthong, particularly once you get out of Latin-derived languages.

And more to the point, all those damn pure vowels and diphthongs are a pain in the ass. I think I'll add another vowel merger or two. :D My current rules don't affect the pronunciation of Spanish names nearly as much as they do English ones. One character's tentative name, Florennsēȃ, is completely unchanged from the modern name except for the spelling change. (Which, as you can see, demands diacritics, which I've mostly managed to avoid.)
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 27 Oct 2017, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 27 Oct 2017, 04:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 04:20
Jadagul wrote:
Latinate, I suppose; /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/ and /u/ have those representations in IPA due to Latin pronunciation.

But then, all vowels are just modifications of "moving air over your vocal cords". As for combination vowels, diphthongs, English has 12 pure vowel sounds without going near diphthongs. The Latin five aren't any more elemental than any other monophthong, particularly once you get out of Latin-derived languages.
Which twelve are you thinking about?

I know there's stuff like the vowel chart on Wikipedia and vowels are really continuous rather than discrete anyway. But many of what we think of as primary vowels in classic English phonetics are in fact dipthongs.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2017, 04:48

Jadagul wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 04:29
Eric the .5b wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 04:20
Jadagul wrote:

But then, all vowels are just modifications of "moving air over your vocal cords". As for combination vowels, diphthongs, English has 12 pure vowel sounds without going near diphthongs. The Latin five aren't any more elemental than any other monophthong, particularly once you get out of Latin-derived languages.
Which twelve are you thinking about?

I know there's stuff like the vowel chart on Wikipedia and vowels are really continuous rather than discrete anyway. But many of what we think of as primary vowels in classic English phonetics are in fact dipthongs.
I see different counts for US versus RP, but here's 10:

Most of our long vowels are diphthongs, now, like "long i", /aɪ/, but at least half of English vowels, depending on your dialect, are one sound.

Not including schwa because schwa is cheating. (I pondered a conlong with schwa as the only vowel, once. Spellings would have resembled Hebrew and it would have sounded like people muttering the names of early Aughts tech startups.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 Oct 2017, 17:00

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Nov 2017, 18:52

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Dec 2017, 18:28

11 Minor Star Wars Characters Who Got Absurdly Full Lives Beyond The Movies
1) Willrow Hood
There could be only one name at the top of this list -- one of the most infamous background characters in Star Wars history. Long known as Ice Cream Maker Guy, simply because all we see him evacuating Cloud City with is a piece of tech that is... well, very clearly an ice cream maker, he eventually got the name "Willrow Hood" in the Star Wars card game from Decipher, where it was established that Willrow was actually a secret Alliance contact in his mining company, A'roFilter.

It was later explained the ice cream maker is actually a computer core containing A'roFilter's rebel contacts, and Willrow was actually bravely protecting the Alliance's agents by safely taking the core out of the Empire's grasp on Cloud City. You really can't make some of this stuff up.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Dec 2017, 22:21

When will Elan Sleazebaggano get his day in the sun?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Dec 2017, 00:54

Ellie wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 22:21
When will Elan Sleazebaggano get his day in the sun?
Moralo Eval must have stolen it.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Dec 2017, 12:27

So, where are the simarils now?

The logic is self-evident.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Dec 2017, 15:49

Eric the .5b wrote:So, where are the simarils now?

The logic is self-evident.
I'm a little bit afraid of what might happen if one of Christopher Tolkien's IP lawyers saw that theory...
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jan 2018, 22:54

So I go look at my Amazon "Follow" settings, a feature I just learned about, and I note only one writer I somehow tagged for Amazon to alert me about: Seanan McGuire.

And then I look at the several releases she's had this year...and then I look at her bibliography. 35 finished novels in the less than ten years she's been published. A number of which are under a pen name for marketing reasons.

Geeze. I mean yeah, she's not exactly Tolstoy, but she's a solid, enjoyable writer....and that's a lot of words.

But then, I'm reminded that it's hard to be a genre writer who manages the eating-and-sleeping-indoors purely on writing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2018, 23:31

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 22:54
So I go look at my Amazon "Follow" settings, a feature I just learned about, and I note only one writer I somehow tagged for Amazon to alert me about: Seanan McGuire.

And then I look at the several releases she's had this year...and then I look at her bibliography. 35 finished novels in the less than ten years she's been published. A number of which are under a pen name for marketing reasons.

Geeze. I mean yeah, she's not exactly Tolstoy, but she's a solid, enjoyable writer....and that's a lot of words.

But then, I'm reminded that it's hard to be a genre writer who manages the eating-and-sleeping-indoors purely on writing.
Ever hear of Piers Anthony?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jan 2018, 23:38