"Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel!"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: "Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Jan 2014, 04:10

Stevo Darkly wrote:Eric -- I haven't listened to much radio lately, and hadn't heard any Imagine Dragons songs yet, but that video was pretty cool.

Was the guy in the white suit Lou Diamond Phillips? (Albeit a bit older than he was in the last movie I saw him in.)

EDIT: Google sez yes.
Yeah, although with makeup he looks younger than in Stargate:Universe, which I was sad to see cancelled, as it had promise, although it rarely managed to live up to it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jan 2014, 19:00

Stevo Darkly wrote:Eric -- I haven't listened to much radio lately, and hadn't heard any Imagine Dragons songs yet, but that video was pretty cool.
Indeed! Apparently, that song was #3 last year and one of the songs to stay the longest in the top 100 ever...and I managed to never hear it until coming across that fanvid.

Weirdly enough, that's still beneficial even though I actually like the song - I haven't heard it intensely overplayed and thus am not sick of it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2015, 20:24

I think "Gorgeously hi-rez slomo" is the modern equivalent of the low-budget, sparsely decorated video set of the early 1980s. The cameras aren't expensive, and you don't need much to make something visually intriguing.

This one especially benefits from blowing up full-size:

"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2015, 20:26

No slomo:

And one of the old, solid tricks in the video-maker's book—a hot dancer.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Sep 2015, 22:50

Been a long time since I saw this one:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Sep 2015, 00:39

The first christian rock video on MTV:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Oct 2015, 18:42

Just like it says on the tin, NSFW.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Oct 2015, 01:02

Eric the .5b wrote:Just like it says on the tin, NSFW.

Very cool.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2015, 11:32

Jeff and I watched a bunch of old (early to mid-1980s) videos yesterday -- holy crap, almost none of them aged well. I'm not talking about just the hairstyles and clothes, but the videos themselves. (Though I agree with Jeff: Ultravox's "Dancing with tears in my eyes" probably has the saddest music video ever.)

It's also funny, how "person stalking the object of his or her [usually his] desire" was such a very common theme in the 80s. First there were the songs explicitly about stalking -- I'm Gonna Follow You by Pat Benatar, Gonna Get Close To You by Queensryche (actually a remake of a Canadian woman's song -- Lisa Dalbello or something like that), Every Breath You Take by the Police -- but then, too, there were the stalky videos for songs. The award-winning video for "You Might Think" by The Cars -- holy crap, that would be a fucking nightmare from the woman's perspective. And "Infatuation" by Rod Stewart -- he spends pretty much the whole video taking surreptitious snapshots of the woman to wallpaper his Room of Crazy.

And, yeah -- looking at these old videos from the perspective of "Bona-fide grownup who has no kids, but still knows to keep certain interests, quirks and personality traits under wraps when The Children are around" -- no surprise that the religious-fanatic parents hated MTV, but the big surprise is that more "mainstream" parents did not. I watched the video for Billy Idol's Eyes Without A Face -- I'd forgotten that when the song did its "four claps" riff, the video usually showed the butts of three women in bondage gear, and the women slapped their butts in time with the song's claps. Which made me laugh when I saw it last night -- but if my niece-n-nephew, or any of my friends' children, had been in the room at the time, no WAY would I have kept that video on, even though I myself watched it however-many times back in the day.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Oct 2015, 20:44

Jennifer wrote:It's also funny, how "person stalking the object of his or her [usually his] desire" was such a very common theme in the 80s.
Yup. In related questionable behavior, I'm reminded of the sneaking fingers bit from ~3:15 in this video:

(Also, is there a more 80s video than that?)

I think there was a premise that the audience skewed male, despite all the teenage girls known to be watching early on.

Related, a more modern video with tangential take on the whole pursuit angle...

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Oct 2015, 20:45

Oh, an 80s video that probably ages so well thanks to the lack of budget:

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Oct 2015, 21:33

Do B-52's videos count as "more 80s"? Or just "more WTF?!?!?!"

And there's always even weirder Fred Schneider solo...

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 24 Oct 2015, 08:46

Jennifer wrote:
It's also funny, how "person stalking the object of his or her [usually his] desire" was such a very common theme in the 80s. First there were the songs explicitly about stalking -- I'm Gonna Follow You by Pat Benatar, Gonna Get Close To You by Queensryche (actually a remake of a Canadian woman's song -- Lisa Dalbello or something like that), Every Breath You Take by the Police -- but then, too, there were the stalky videos for songs. The award-winning video for "You Might Think" by The Cars -- holy crap, that would be a fucking nightmare from the woman's perspective. And "Infatuation" by Rod Stewart -- he spends pretty much the whole video taking surreptitious snapshots of the woman to wallpaper his Room of Crazy.
To be fair, isn't this what like all of Adele's music is about?
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Oct 2015, 16:16

Highway wrote:Do B-52's videos count as "more 80s"? Or just "more WTF?!?!?!"
Less classically 80s, but very much delightfully-whacky with a side of low-budget.

Some uber-low budget from the eighties:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Oct 2015, 21:42

One of those videos I wonder about the budget on. Simple and workable, though.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Oct 2015, 23:44

They did a good job of working the Jupiter/Venus conjunction into the video. Wonder if that was planned, or fortuitous?

Edit: Not the actual conjunction, but they spent a lot of time last spring sharing the evening sky, and I'm guessing that's what the bright objects are in the sky behind her in the not-running-with-wolves shots.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Nov 2015, 03:29

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Nov 2015, 21:56

Oh, man. Movie tie-in videos. Do they still do that?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Nov 2015, 13:08

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Nov 2015, 22:28

I was sharing some tracks I'd liked with a friend and came upon this little bit of retro ambiguity:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Mar 2016, 01:10

And suddenly, the coolest video I've seen in some time. At least if the early 80s damaged your brain, like me.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Mar 2016, 13:58

Via Timothy, amazingly strange:

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 May 2016, 21:17

As Wicker Man remakes go, it rates above the Nicolas Cage version, but below the YouTube video of the highlights of the Nicolas Cage version, and certainly below Hot Fuzz.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 May 2016, 21:25

Not exactly the movie in my head that the song gives me, but quite fitting:

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 May 2016, 19:41

Creeptastic guido action: