"Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel!"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

"Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel!"

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Apr 2012, 19:02

Personally, I'm startled to run into music videos for songs anymore, even five-year-old ones (like the Creature Feature one I posted on the Earworms thread). I'd gotten the impression that MTV has successfully disappeared and secretly executed the art form, at least in terms of mass exposure. But then there's still actual news coverage of controversial music videos.

So, are music videos still a going art form/promotional tool/etc? Or is it a dying form that journos who grew up in the 80s mistakenly think the kids watch?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Re: "Hey, they made a little movie for this song - how novel

Post by dbcooper » 01 Apr 2012, 19:43

I generally find that watching a video inhibits my engagement with the music, so I don't like to watch them. There are exceptions though. VHS dreamz has provided some of those.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Apr 2012, 20:11

dbcooper wrote:I generally find that watching a video inhibits my engagement with the music, so I don't like to watch them. There are exceptions though. VHS dreamz has provided some of those.
I've pretty much always hated music videos on account of the turn away from prog rock and into total shit that they ushered in.

From the title I was thinking of songs that were made into movies, like Coal Miners Daughter, and The Gambler. I remember when they made Ode To Billy Joe into a movie and after we watched it, my father said "I'd have rather never found out the deep dark secret that drove him to his death".

Sayyyyyyy now that I think about it... Take This Job And Shove It, Convoy, Harper Valley PTA, seems like the only songs worth making into movies are country songs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Apr 2012, 20:16

Red fang has some good ones. Chris cunningham makes event shitty breakbeats like leftfield look awesome. The form has potential but can be misused. It makes me hate grimes even more than i would have, for example.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Apr 2012, 20:25

They definitely often suck, but Sturgeon's Law applies to many things, I think. I've always just imagined very visual stories to lots of songs, so music videos always appealed to me.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 01 Apr 2012, 21:17

Eric the .5b wrote:So, are music videos still a going art form/promotional tool/etc? Or is it a dying form that journos who grew up in the 80s mistakenly think the kids watch?
I recall reading somewhere that they get decent viewership online on places like youtube, and that a lot of bands and even some smaller labels will spring for a shoestring budget to make a video in order to try and drive views and generate popularity online in order to catch the attention of larger labels in order to make promotion deals. No solid support for the argument, but it does seem like most of the growth in the art form is in people who are using a music video as a resume rather than as something to be consumed by end users.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Apr 2012, 21:22

I've wondered about that angle, Shem. I have no useful comment there, but I've wondered about it. :D

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Apr 2012, 21:25

Even without a 'central' clearinghouse for music videos, like MTV was initially, there is still a HUGE value in music videos for songs from the artists and distributor's perspectives. It's easier to see video now than any time in the past, and there's a huge place to put it, for free or almost free, on YouTube. You can use them to drive traffic to your own site. You can use them to chop up and send out as clips to TV stations for promos.

Generally, they're much more important for acts that want to be huge mass market acts. And that might be what a lot of folks around here rebel against, given that most folks on this board only have minor intersections with liking Top 40 style music. But like it or not, idols and idol groups are huge business, and idols and idol groups don't get huge just on their music. They get huge on the whole package: looks, music, dancing, lifestyle. And videos are a big part of that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Apr 2012, 21:36

they're still a viable promotional piece, regardless of your audience. i bought red fang's last album after seeing this video:

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Apr 2012, 22:21

Warren wrote:From the title I was thinking of songs that were made into movies, like Coal Miners Daughter, and The Gambler. I remember when they made Ode To Billy Joe into a movie and after we watched it, my father said "I'd have rather never found out the deep dark secret that drove him to his death".

Sayyyyyyy now that I think about it... Take This Job And Shove It, Convoy, Harper Valley PTA, seems like the only songs worth making into movies are country songs.
and 9 to 5
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Apr 2012, 22:29

dhex wrote:they're still a viable promotional piece, regardless of your audience. i bought red fang's last album after seeing this video:

Nice. :)

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 02 Apr 2012, 23:34

Have I posted this here yet? I recently found this music video and I like it a lot:

"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 03 Apr 2012, 11:53

Highway wrote:Even without a 'central' clearinghouse for music videos, like MTV was initially, there is still a HUGE value in music videos for songs from the artists and distributor's perspectives. It's easier to see video now than any time in the past, and there's a huge place to put it, for free or almost free, on YouTube. You can use them to drive traffic to your own site. You can use them to chop up and send out as clips to TV stations for promos.

Generally, they're much more important for acts that want to be huge mass market acts. And that might be what a lot of folks around here rebel against, given that most folks on this board only have minor intersections with liking Top 40 style music. But like it or not, idols and idol groups are huge business, and idols and idol groups don't get huge just on their music. They get huge on the whole package: looks, music, dancing, lifestyle. And videos are a big part of that.
I think Justin Beiber got his start doing YouTube videos. I know the comedian Bo Burnham did.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 03 Apr 2012, 11:59

Stevo Darkly wrote:Have I posted this here yet? I recently found this music video and I like it a lot:

I found the music just ok (a bit simple and repetitive for my admittedly weird tastes), but the video was amusing.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Apr 2012, 14:41

Yeah, music videos are definitely still a going thing. What else would you put on your youtube channel?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Apr 2012, 15:36

dhex wrote:they're still a viable promotional piece, regardless of your audience. i bought red fang's last album after seeing this video:

I like that one. :)

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 03 Apr 2012, 17:56

Are music videos better, or worse, now that they're free from the constraints of MTV's Standards and Practices people?

Dunno, you be the judge.

Palin/Camacho 2012

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Apr 2012, 17:58

I'll have to wait til I get home to see that one, but I laughed quite a bit at Rammstein's video for "Pussy" (?). At least, when I wasn't yelping in horror.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Apr 2012, 11:11

Rammstein + Visual Format = Horror, Absolute Horror

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Apr 2012, 07:42

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 19 Apr 2012, 18:54

Here's my man card.

I love Fiona Apple.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Apr 2012, 19:07

There is nothing immasculine (it's a word now suckers!) about liking Fiona Apple. She has really clever lyrics and plays the piano pretty well.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Apr 2012, 19:11

I saw Ms. Apple once in Hawaii. The problem with the Hawaii leg of a national or world tour is that it's either at the beginning before they've worked all the kinks out, or it's at the end, where their worn out and even the talented singers have tired voices. (The concert I saw was the latter case)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 19 Apr 2012, 19:12

Hugh Akston wrote:There is nothing immasculine (it's a word now suckers!) about liking Fiona Apple. She has really clever lyrics and plays the piano pretty well.
I tend to like female songwriters who write about having been wronged, and are angry about it (Fiona, PJ Harvey, Courtney Love, Bjork, etc.), but not all of them (Alanis Morrisette, Tori Amos [though a lot of that seems to be about rape], etc.).

Yeah, Girlzzzzz Rock, and I love it.

(See also: Kittie)

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Apr 2012, 19:29

GinSlinger wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:There is nothing immasculine (it's a word now suckers!) about liking Fiona Apple. She has really clever lyrics and plays the piano pretty well.
I tend to like female songwriters who write about having been wronged, and are angry about it (Fiona, PJ Harvey, Courtney Love, Bjork, etc.), but not all of them (Alanis Morrisette, Tori Amos [though a lot of that seems to be about rape], etc.).

Yeah, Girlzzzzz Rock, and I love it.

(See also: Kittie)
+ Mirah, Regina Spektor, Neko Case
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul