Light laffs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: Light laffs

Post by Andrew » 29 Sep 2017, 08:51

dhex wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 07:48
people are no better than animals.
This was my conclusion when I noticed people can never be bothered to re-rack weights at the gym. Opposable thumbs are wasted on them.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 11:10

If you have room, you need

1 of these
2 of these

And no more need for the gym.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 12:03

the innominate one wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:10

1 of these
2 of these

I had no idea those adjustable dumbbells were so expensive.

I have a pretty good free gym at my workplace.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 12:26

They are expensive, but worth it for a home gym, if you have space and don't have access to a free gym. I think the lighter ones are less expensive, but used to cost as much as the ones I linked, when the lighter ones were the only model available.

I think the design might be improved if they would place the heavier, larger plates on the outside. More room to hold one with two hands.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Sep 2017, 14:24

29 Sep 2017, 11:10

1 of these
2 of these

Neither of those appears to be a squat rack.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 14:29

I believe you can get most of the same effects by simply doing squats while holding the weights at your sides.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Sep 2017, 15:22

Andrew wrote:
dhex wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 07:48
people are no better than animals.
This was my conclusion when I noticed people can never be bothered to re-rack weights at the gym. Opposable thumbs are wasted on them.
I actually kind of prefer that to when they decide to just re-rack the weights in any odd order forcing you to take half of them off and rearrange them just to get the weights you need.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Sep 2017, 15:28

the innominate one wrote:I believe you can get most of the same effects by simply doing squats while holding the weights at your sides.
Your arms can't hold that kind of weight. My warm up squats are 135. Actual reps were at 250-300 and I'm a mid size guy.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Sep 2017, 16:48

Millennials don't use proper grammar online. That's Xers and to a lesser extent Boomers.

Like, they find it weird and offputting to use overly proper grammar and spelling.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 29 Sep 2017, 19:34

Painboy wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 15:22
I actually kind of prefer that to when they decide to just re-rack the weights in any odd order forcing you to take half of them off and rearrange them just to get the weights you need.

Oh, I see you've been visiting my gym. OTOH, I suppose having to move around around all the kettlebells to find two matching ones is a bit of exercise, and exercise is what I went to the gym for...

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Sep 2017, 20:19

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Sep 2017, 22:36

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Sep 2017, 19:37

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Sep 2017, 19:50

It's the faggot in the front of the image, isn't it.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Oct 2017, 18:01

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 19:11

dead_elvis wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 18:01
These people aren't homeless? WHY NOT? What kind of two bit culture doesn't kick idiots like that out into the street to beg for change where they belong?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Oct 2017, 19:41

Because factoids?
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Oct 2017, 19:53

What is the difference between a planet or a moon? If we're speaking of their orbital characteristics, there's a clear dividing line. If we're speaking of their physical traits, well, Earth has more in common with Titan than with Saturn. Titan has more in common with Earth than with Phobos.

Be that as it may, these people are idiots, particularly when it comes to what is or isn't a star.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Oct 2017, 20:38

because factoids?
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Oct 2017, 20:48

Because basic facts about how the world works, yes. Knowing the sun is a star and the moon is not should be basic knowledge because people should know what a star is. I can understand maybe not being clear on whether or not the moon is a planet, but there should be no question that it's not a star, and the sun is a star.

The U.S. just experienced a total solar eclipse. How could the moon block the sun's light and cause the sky to dim during daylight, if the moon were a star?

Without the sun, life as we know it wouldn't have happened. Most life on earth depends directly or indirectly on energy from the sun, a star.

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Oct 2017, 20:54

Totally meaningless to their lives.

Thats the beauty of the division of labor. You guys don't need to know shit about mid market women's shoes!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Oct 2017, 21:18

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Oct 2017, 22:00

I think we've had this argument before, but in the form of "why should people need to understand evolution"?

It's not meaningless to their lives in a democracy where peoples' votes affect public policy. The sun is the source of most heat energy in the atmosphere, and changing the amount of the heat that is retained by changing atmospheric composition by pollution is what's causing anthropogenic global warming. The moon doesn't contribute directly to the heat budget of the earth.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Oct 2017, 22:06

Ellie wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 21:18
This was disproved in an episode of Sherlock, where knowledge of the timing of an astronomical event was key to identifying a painting as a forgery. I choose to believe Holmes was taking the piss out of Watson. And also that Holmes is an imaginary character written by someone with a lot of beliefs we now know to be mistaken.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Oct 2017, 22:26

It definitely wasn't Holmes taking the piss out of Watson in the original---the character was one hundred percent serious.

(The episode of Sherlock you're talking about is, of course, taking the piss out of Holmes).