Light laffs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2637
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Light laffs

Post by pistoffnick » 08 Nov 2017, 09:31

Warren wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 09:06
If I'm eating peanuts, life sucks. Bonus peanut only serves to mock me.
Double yolks on the other hand.
I don't know 'bout dat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11722
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Light laffs

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 21:12



The trolling is worth the clicking.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11722
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Light laffs

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 21:14

Go Cathy.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21090
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Light laffs

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 21:48

the innominate one wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 21:14
Go Cathy.

I think Cathy is being too cleaver by one-half. Women can have children with multiple men. So I would also be genuinely curious as the cause of a 9 percentage point discrepancy. Is it all age? Are women less likely to have children with different fathers than men having children with multiple mothers?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11722
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Light laffs

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 22:49

Those are all potentially interesting questions. But is there any other possible answer to the question of why a greater fraction of women are mothers than men are fathers than Cathy's? The only other possible explanation I can think of is differential mortality between the sexes.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24424
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Light laffs

Post by thoreau » 08 Nov 2017, 23:03

The variance in offspring production is going to be lower for the sex that can only produce offspring at a rate of roughly once per year and higher for the sex that could, at least in principle, impregnate multiple mates per day.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21090
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Light laffs

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 23:47

the innominate one wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 22:49
Those are all potentially interesting questions. But is there any other possible answer to the question of why a greater fraction of women are mothers than men are fathers than Cathy's? The only other possible explanation I can think of is differential mortality between the sexes.
I can think of 4 off the top of my head.
Men are older on average when they have kids (the age cutoff for the survey is 40).
Men do not know with 100% certainty that they are fathers, while women do know with 100% certainty.
Artificial insemination.
Men are more likely to lie in these survey.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21090
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Light laffs

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 23:48

thoreau wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 23:03
The variance in offspring production is going to be lower for the sex that can only produce offspring at a rate of roughly once per year and higher for the sex that could, at least in principle, impregnate multiple mates per day.
But that would make it more likely that men are more likely to be fathers than women would be mothers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24424
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Light laffs

Post by thoreau » 09 Nov 2017, 00:34

Mo wrote:
thoreau wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 23:03
The variance in offspring production is going to be lower for the sex that can only produce offspring at a rate of roughly once per year and higher for the sex that could, at least in principle, impregnate multiple mates per day.
But that would make it more likely that men are more likely to be fathers than women would be mothers.
Not really. It's difficult for women to produce a large number of offspring but since the number of adult women is pretty close to the number of adult men the average number of offspring per woman and man will be about the same. The only way for women and men to have the same average while men have a larger variance is if men have a lot of outliers on both the high and low ends. Since the average is in the low single digits a lot of those outliers will have to have zero offspring.

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17730
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Light laffs

Post by dbcooper » 09 Nov 2017, 01:32

Time to start a new thread, dudes.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 8924
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Light laffs

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Nov 2017, 10:35

dbcooper wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 01:32
Time to start a new thread, dudes.
Autism mode, activate!
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12609
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Light laffs

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2017, 11:30

a bunch of highly educated people twisting themselves in knots over baby math is hilarious to me.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24424
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Light laffs

Post by thoreau » 09 Nov 2017, 11:35

Kolohe wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 11:30
a bunch of highly educated people twisting themselves in knots over baby math is hilarious to me.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5536
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Light laffs

Post by Andrew » 09 Nov 2017, 13:12

Mo wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 21:48
the innominate one wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 21:14
Go Cathy.
I think Cathy is being too cleaver by one-half. Women can have children with multiple men. So I would also be genuinely curious as the cause of a 9 percentage point discrepancy. Is it all age? Are women less likely to have children with different fathers than men having children with multiple mothers?
I'm on my phone, so linking is a pain, but I thought there were several DNA studies (Wilder 2004 is one that pops up when I Google, but I think there are more recent ones) that show the historical disparity is far, far greater than 9%.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11722
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Light laffs

Post by the innominate one » 09 Nov 2017, 22:36

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11722
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Light laffs

Post by the innominate one » 10 Nov 2017, 08:45



"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 8924
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Light laffs

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Nov 2017, 09:46

Mankind's time is short.

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17730
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Light laffs

Post by dbcooper » 10 Nov 2017, 15:23

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 09:46
Mankind's time is short.

Deleted.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17730
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Light laffs

Post by dbcooper » 10 Nov 2017, 18:49

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11022
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Light laffs

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2017, 20:52

I know I laughed, and I don't even like mcnuggets.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21090
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Light laffs

Post by Mo » 10 Nov 2017, 21:30

Here's the video. The thing is, chicken skin is good. I haven't had chicken bone marrow, but regular bone marrow is good too. Hell, chicken feet is good too.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6293
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Light laffs

Post by Jadagul » 10 Nov 2017, 23:14

Mo wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 21:30
Here's the video. The thing is, chicken skin is good. I haven't had chicken bone marrow, but regular bone marrow is good too. Hell, chicken feet is good too.

I'm always baffled by culinary experts professing horror at pink slime.

Like, the fact that sausage looks super gross when it's being made is literally proverbial. And I understand that a bunch of people don't really realize that, but you'd think famous chefs would already know.

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3147
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Light laffs

Post by Painboy » 11 Nov 2017, 02:35

I dearly miss being able to eat Mcnuggets.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11022
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Light laffs

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Nov 2017, 04:33

Jadagul wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 23:14
Mo wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 21:30
Here's the video. The thing is, chicken skin is good. I haven't had chicken bone marrow, but regular bone marrow is good too. Hell, chicken feet is good too.
I'm always baffled by culinary experts professing horror at pink slime.

Like, the fact that sausage looks super gross when it's being made is literally proverbial. And I understand that a bunch of people don't really realize that, but you'd think famous chefs would already know.
I assume they do and are, quite literally, being pretentious about it for attention and ratings.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6293
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Light laffs

Post by Jadagul » 11 Nov 2017, 05:13

Eric the .5b wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 04:33
Jadagul wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 23:14
Mo wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 21:30
Here's the video. The thing is, chicken skin is good. I haven't had chicken bone marrow, but regular bone marrow is good too. Hell, chicken feet is good too.
I'm always baffled by culinary experts professing horror at pink slime.

Like, the fact that sausage looks super gross when it's being made is literally proverbial. And I understand that a bunch of people don't really realize that, but you'd think famous chefs would already know.
I assume they do and are, quite literally, being pretentious about it for attention and ratings.
Probably.

When people are complaining about pink slime---it has organ meats and intestines and other gross things!---I always want to respond, "You know, the Native Americans used every part of the chicken."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests