On the modern electric guitar

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 7698
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Taktix® » 11 Jan 2017, 11:19

Highway wrote:No suggestions, but your discussions about your former band mates are why my band is mostly a basement practice band. We're not interested in working to make money from it, so we're fine with 4 gigs per year. And yeah, that musical stagnation can get a little difficult, but then there's not a lot of new music I listen to that the whole rest of the band would want to or could play.
See, that's what I want, like my Brother-In-Law does, like 4-8 gigs a year to scratch that otherwise-unscratchable playing live itch, with maybe some originals recorded for posterity and to show the grandkids what musical instruments were for.

(no really, the high from nailing a fun song and having lots of people applaud is not attainable by any other means, including sex and (I would assume) heroin. This is probably why so many artists become drug addicts - you're trying to fill a hole that only one thing in the world can fill)...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 11 Jan 2017, 11:58

Agreed about doing stuff for fun vs. money. Having been in a couple bands, it's no mystery at all to me why bands break up - most people, I think, want a balance between fun and money. Some of us amateurs are happy for it to be all fun and no money, but professionals pretty much by definition want it to be some money and hopefully some fun too. But if you're not making any money and not having any fun either, who's going to stick around for it?

For those of us who are in bands just for fun, the most important thing is probably just to find people you're personally compatible with. You're not making any money, so there's no real reason to hang around with people who aren't fun to be around! Even that can be trickier than it sounds, because you might not want to play with someone who is a good guy and likes the same music you do but can't play his way out of a paper bag, or someone who's a really good player but isn't into the same music as you, etc.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 11 Jan 2017, 12:06

I finally got around to buying a small digital recorder for band practice (the Tascam DR-05). I used it at practice for the first time last night, and I was relieved that we actually got something usable. Recording your practice (and actually critically listening to it again later) makes a huge difference in your ability to actually monitor what you're doing. Aside from all the usual kind of stuff - "Oh, I'm playing that intro part too staccato, it should be more legato" or "That solo began well, but then I completely lost my place and the second half was a mess" - recording your whole practice session is a great way to realize how much time you spend bullshitting instead of actually rehearsing.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 7698
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Taktix® » 11 Jan 2017, 12:26

JD wrote:I finally got around to buying a small digital recorder for band practice (the Tascam DR-05). I used it at practice for the first time last night, and I was relieved that we actually got something usable. Recording your practice (and actually critically listening to it again later) makes a huge difference in your ability to actually monitor what you're doing. Aside from all the usual kind of stuff - "Oh, I'm playing that intro part too staccato, it should be more legato" or "That solo began well, but then I completely lost my place and the second half was a mess" - recording your whole practice session is a great way to realize how much time you spend bullshitting instead of actually rehearsing.
Yes to these. Also, recording all the time is good prep for actual studio recording, as playing comfortably (and therefore better) while that red light is on can be a mental roadblock for some people...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12648
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Highway » 11 Jan 2017, 12:47

We've been doing more recording, partly because the mixer we got last year makes it so freakin' easy. 18 channels out to USB to the computer we have hooked up to be the mixer control surface, so we just run a DAW and record the output. We haven't done anything more than that, tho, with the recordings to this point.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 11 Jan 2017, 12:47

On a vaguely related note, the Tascam DR-05 cost about $100 (and I had a $25 gift certificate to the store). While I was there, I looked at some tambourines, because we're doing "I Wanna Be Your Dog", and it isn't quite the same without tambourine or bells or something. Tambourines, bizarrely, were about $40. One is a complex microelectronic product requiring precision engineering and manufacture; the other is literally some pieces of metal stapled to a piece of wood. I was expecting the price difference to be a little greater...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12648
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Highway » 11 Jan 2017, 12:51

JD wrote:On a vaguely related note, the Tascam DR-05 cost about $100 (and I had a $25 gift certificate to the store). While I was there, I looked at some tambourines, because we're doing "I Wanna Be Your Dog", and it isn't quite the same without tambourine or bells or something. Tambourines, bizarrely, were about $40. One is a complex microelectronic product requiring precision engineering and manufacture; the other is literally some pieces of metal stapled to a piece of wood. I was expecting the price difference to be a little greater...
That's cause you're looking in a store. Amazon's got a bunch in the 10-15 dollar range, not to mention the 5 dollar range for kids ones.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 17 Jan 2017, 08:15

On another note, finding a band name that is halfway decent and not already taken is really hard. We thought we had one, but nope! Danish pop band.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12648
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2017, 08:35

JD wrote:On another note, finding a band name that is halfway decent and not already taken is really hard. We thought we had one, but nope! Danish pop band.
Unless you're really intent on producing and selling albums, there are practical limits to how far you should go to avoid another band's name (and even then, there are bands that reuse other names). If you're just playing in your city, and not trying to get famous, then reusing a name is fine, especially if they stay local to them and even more especially if they play a different kind of music. No Danish pop band is going to sue you guys for playing in bars and public spaces, and even if they did, the relief would be "stop using the name." Just don't try to foster confusion between the two bands (copying the logo, implying that you're the same group, etc.).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 17 Jan 2017, 11:00

Highway wrote:Unless you're really intent on producing and selling albums, there are practical limits to how far you should go to avoid another band's name (and even then, there are bands that reuse other names). If you're just playing in your city, and not trying to get famous, then reusing a name is fine, especially if they stay local to them and even more especially if they play a different kind of music. No Danish pop band is going to sue you guys for playing in bars and public spaces, and even if they did, the relief would be "stop using the name." Just don't try to foster confusion between the two bands (copying the logo, implying that you're the same group, etc.).
Well, true to all that, but the problem these days is that it severely hampers your internet/social media presence, I would think. You can't really be on Facebook, Bandcamp, etc. because there's already someone there under that name.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12648
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2017, 11:03

That's why you do things like "Five Little Angels_NY" or "Nightfall Band" in names. Sure it's less optimal, but people who are looking for you will find you with just a little bit of effort.

It's better to have a name you like and is cool than a name nobody else has. You can work around the social media stuff.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 7698
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Taktix® » 17 Jan 2017, 11:09

Highway wrote:That's why you do things like "Five Little Angels_NY" or "Nightfall Band" in names. Sure it's less optimal, but people who are looking for you will find you with just a little bit of effort.

It's better to have a name you like and is cool than a name nobody else has. You can work around the social media stuff.
Yes, this.

Easily find-able names are less relevant in a world where link sharing is the way to spread info, and even non-band-duplicate names have "band" at the end in websites. (e.g. one former project, Styrofoam (not my suggestion nor favorite name) was registered as styrofoamband.com).
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jan 2017, 11:35

JD wrote:On another note, finding a band name that is halfway decent and not already taken is really hard. We thought we had one, but nope! Danish pop band.
Is Unnamed Danish Pop Band taken?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12648
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2017, 12:06

Somewhat relevant: There was an article last week or so that I skimmed that said that easily recognizable domain names were becoming less and less important due to the easy prevalence of google and other searches. Noone tries to blind guess a domain name anymore, they search for it, and let the search engine figure it out.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 17 Jan 2017, 12:21

Taktix® wrote:
Highway wrote:That's why you do things like "Five Little Angels_NY" or "Nightfall Band" in names. Sure it's less optimal, but people who are looking for you will find you with just a little bit of effort.

It's better to have a name you like and is cool than a name nobody else has. You can work around the social media stuff.
Yes, this.

Easily find-able names are less relevant in a world where link sharing is the way to spread info, and even non-band-duplicate names have "band" at the end in websites. (e.g. one former project, Styrofoam (not my suggestion nor favorite name) was registered as styrofoamband.com).
Well, of course you can put "Willie Wontkins and the Whatsits band" in a search or whatever, but that doesn't necessarily help if both entities that want the name are bands. I have actually encountered this sort of problem in practice: search for Cactus and you may get Cactus.

Yes, you can work around anything...but why set yourself up for a problem that you could have (semi-)easily avoided in the first place by just not using the conflicting name? IMO it's just poor form to use a name that you know another band is using, particularly another current band.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22380
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2017, 12:35

Highway wrote:Somewhat relevant: There was an article last week or so that I skimmed that said that easily recognizable domain names were becoming less and less important due to the easy prevalence of google and other searches. Noone tries to blind guess a domain name anymore, they search for it, and let the search engine figure it out.
Or type the url in the search bar.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2460
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Jake » 17 Jan 2017, 17:23

Didn't we have a "band names" thread two or three Grylliades ago? In the meanwhile, though, feel free to steal the name I used in the Rock Band video game: Ömnivöre (pronounced -- approximately -- "Urmnivurreh"). I think the name would go best with a light acoustic folk duo. Something extra-twee.

Or I can probably get you permission to use Bümberfückel as your band name... I know a guy. ;)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23348
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Warren » 17 Jan 2017, 20:56

When deciding on a band name, summarily reject any submission that begins (even implicitly, I'm looking at you Don Henley) with an article.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17788
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Jan 2017, 23:23

Why of all people and groups would you single out Henley? Over and over again they insisted the group was Eagles not the Eagles and no one ever pay them any attention.

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23348
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Warren » 18 Jan 2017, 01:39

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Over and over again they insisted the group was Eagles not the Eagles and no one ever pay them any attention.
That's what I'm saying.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 15 Jun 2017, 21:14

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 15 Jun 2017, 21:19

In other random news, some of the venues we'll be playing at have very limited backline equipment, so I bought myself a 2x12 cabinet (quite possibly the stealiest steal ever in the history of 2x12 cabinets) and it looks like I'll be bringing my 20W Soldano-designed head to a gig where they have a 4x12, so there should be plenty of rockage.

Also, the other day at practice I got to dime a Vox AC30. It was glorious. My pant legs were flapping in the breeze.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12648
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Highway » 15 Jun 2017, 21:39

Eh, Telecasters don't make me puke. I just don't want to play one.

I've been considering getting a Fender Jazz Bass 5-string, the Active Pickup one they have. Or I'll wait and say that's what I want for my 25th anniversary with my company.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23348
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Warren » 26 Jun 2017, 14:54

Why my guitar gently weeps
The slow, secret death of the six-string electric. And why you should care.

In the past decade, electric guitar sales have plummeted, from about 1.5 million sold annually to just over 1 million. The two biggest companies, Gibson and Fender, are in debt, and a third, PRS Guitars, had to cut staff and expand production of cheaper guitars. In April, Moody’s downgraded Guitar Center, the largest chain retailer, as it faces $1.6 billion in debt. And at Sweetwater.com, the online retailer, a brand-new, interest-free Fender can be had for as little as $8 a month.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9958
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2017, 19:34

Thanks for posting that, Warren, that's an interesting find. They mentioned some of the big factors, but I think there are also two big ones they didn't mention:

- The big guitar companies spent years, decades even, catering to Baby Boomers (and to some degree Generation X), selling them ever-more-expensive guitars as the Boomers got older and richer. But you can only ride the horse of selling dentists $3000 Les Pauls so far, and it's pretty much tapped out. There are at this point about as many guitars as we could want.

- Internet sales and the rise of quality East Asian manufacturing coincided. It used to be that a cheap East Asian guitar was pretty well guaranteed to be unplayable junk, and ordering a guitar sight unseen was slow and risky. (Fun factoid: Irish guitarist Rory Gallagher owned the first Fender Stratocaster ever shipped to Ireland - but not because he ordered it. Someone else special-ordered it through a local music store, and Fender shipped one the wrong color. Return it? No, it just went on sale at the music store...) Now, I would have little hesitation in ordering a $150 guitar from East Asia sight unseen, and they're actually decent instruments. This has got to be putting a big hurt on bigger manufacturers and retail establishments.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests