On the modern electric guitar

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2013, 09:12

The organizer of a local free-form jam session (the one I went to a while back) is moving away and wants someone to take over for him. I'm debating whether I should jump into that can of worms.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Oct 2013, 11:41

Oh hell no.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 22 Dec 2013, 15:16

I had to do it...I saw on Craigslist that a local guy was selling a Marshall SL5 for a really good price, so I grabbed it. Five watts, reduce-able to one watt, EL34-powered. Now I'm out of space, so I definitely have to sell something (which is the reason the previous owner was selling the SL5).
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Dec 2013, 11:02

In a confluence of "Video Games", "Petty Annoyances", and "Electric Guitars":

I got Rocksmith 2014, which is an improvement over the original. But instead of just having E-standard and Drop-D tunings for songs, it adds about 7 other tunings, including E-flat, and other screwy ones. And since my guitar has a Floyd Rose floating tremolo bridge, it just can't be retuned like that. So I guess I'll be borrowing my bandmate's Les Paul to play for a while, since my wife isn't a big fan of me buying a Jackson Kelly fixed bridge (I love the Kelly body, and like (and am used to) Jackson necks.)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 21 Jan 2014, 15:56

Despite being out of space, I had to order a VHT Special 6. (Hey, I had all this Amazon gift certificate that I had to use.) It's got real stripboard construction of a kind you never see at this price point, so it's an excellent candidate for modding.

Also, I think I am going to redo this one in British racing green tolex with a cream panel and gold piping. Alternately, maybe a green faux-alligator tolex, if I can find a good one.

Now I definitely need to get rid of something...

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Feb 2014, 12:24

The Gibson Government Series II Les Paul
From its solid mahogany body with modern weight relief for enhance resonance and playing comfort, to its carved maple top, the Government Series II Les Paul follows the tradition of the great Les Paul Standards—but also makes a superb statement with its unique appointments. A distinctive vintage-gloss Government Tan finish, complemented by black-chrome hardware and black plastics and trim, is topped by a pickguard that’s hot-stamped in gold with the Government Series graphic—a bald eagle hoisting a Gibson guitar neck. Each Government Series II Les Paul also includes a genuine piece of Gibson USA history in its solid rosewood fingerboard, which is made from wood returned to Gibson by the US government after the resolution.
A good WSJ account of the raid and it's aftermath. Allegations of some fucking shenangians.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2014, 12:36

Shouldn't that have been a bald eagle smashing a Gibson guitar neck?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Feb 2014, 12:43

There's no pickguard on that guitar in any of the pictures. I want my cheesy logo!

And how much were Juszkiewicz's eyes rolling as he said this:
"We feel that Gibson was inappropriately targeted," Juszkiewicz said at the time, adding the matter "could have been addressed with a simple contact (from) a caring human being representing the government. Instead, the government used violent and hostile means."

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Feb 2014, 10:23

So, depending on if a new guy joins our band, I might be changing from bass to lead / rhythm guitar. That means I should probably be looking for a new amp / cab or combo. There are waaaaay too many to look at.

On the other hand, I might be able to justify finally getting a Jackson Kelly fixed bridge guitar. :)

JD

Post by JD » 24 Feb 2014, 10:41

A posting just showed up on Craigslist here offering an Epiphone Flying V for a really good price. I did not need the temptation, damn it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Feb 2014, 20:45

After watching craigslist for a bit, I finally bought something: a ~1966 Teisco Del Rey E200 (not the actual guitar, but identical except my serial number is 400 lower). It's a little dinged-up, but everything works and it sounds decent. While it's not fancy, it's hard to beat a 45-year-old guitar for under $100. It will certainly work for my purposes (rocksmith).
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Feb 2014, 11:35

The new Line6 AMPLiFi seems pretty nifty. I like the idea of a full range amp, rather than the normal guitar range only. I also like modeling amps, and Line6's models are definitely better than Digitech's. The iOS control also seems pretty nifty. And it's a pretty good price for what I'm looking for in a combo amp, even if I bought an iPad or Mini to go with it. If I switch to guitar for our band, that might be something I go with.

JD

Post by JD » 04 Mar 2014, 19:54

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2014, 20:36

Yeah, no. Two guitars that do absolutely nothing for me, a Flying V and a Telecaster. To me that's almost as much of an abomination as the Peavey electric 12-string I saw at the luthier's shop.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Apr 2014, 20:21

So I have been invited to join a band! Not like a "real" band, just kind of a guitar-school student thing that's learning a few songs to perform at a showcase in May, but still, this will actually be the first time I've performed on stage. I'm not nervous yet.

I was surprised to learn the other day that some acquaintances of mine were nervous about playing with me because I've been playing for about 20 years, so they thought I would be way too advanced for them. Funny, I don't feel too advanced. But I have to say that the song list - "Day Tripper" by the Beatles, "Parted Ways" by the Heartless Bastards, maybe "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones - is proving fairly easy to learn. I may bribe the band to play JJF by promising to get go-go dancers if we do it.

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Apr 2014, 21:36

JD wrote:So I have been invited to join a band! Not like a "real" band, just kind of a guitar-school student thing that's learning a few songs to perform at a showcase in May, but still, this will actually be the first time I've performed on stage. I'm not nervous yet.

I was surprised to learn the other day that some acquaintances of mine were nervous about playing with me because I've been playing for about 20 years, so they thought I would be way too advanced for them. Funny, I don't feel too advanced. But I have to say that the song list - "Day Tripper" by the Beatles, "Parted Ways" by the Heartless Bastards, maybe "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones - is proving fairly easy to learn. I may bribe the band to play JJF by promising to get go-go dancers if we do it.
Congrats and good luck! We just invited a new guitarist to try our band out, since our last one decided he didn't want to bother with band stuff anymore (not like he told us that, just put us off for 3 months before we finally pushed him on it). He came for the first time last week, and seems like he might be a good fit, at least musically. We have a huge song list, tho, over 60, so that's kind of daunting for him, and of course, we know them all already and he doesn't really know any of them. But we'll see if it works out.

JD

Post by JD » 22 Apr 2014, 19:34

There is nothing quite so humbling as listening to your own rehearsal tapes.

JD

Post by JD » 28 Apr 2014, 17:42

So I know Highway won't be big on it, but this appeared on the local Craigslist for a pretty good price, and I had to snap it up.

It's a good player - it just feels natural and fast. It's got some neck dive, but nothing too bad. And it's just fun: Flying V's attract a lot of attention.

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Apr 2014, 18:30

Hey, if you like it, go for it. I'm just a Z body guy myself.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 17 Jun 2014, 13:37

So, my amp died after 29 years. Barring it being something painfully obvious that I can spot when I open the cabinet, that means I need a new one. My current amp is an old Roland Spirit 40. I'm open to suggestions that don't involve me mortgaging anything. I figuring sub $300 is my price range.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jun 2014, 13:58

What do you do with it? Play by yourself? Play along with recordings? Jam with others? Gigs?

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 17 Jun 2014, 14:03

Highway wrote:What do you do with it? Play by yourself? Play along with recordings? Jam with others? Gigs?
I'm anti-social. I play by myself. I don't really need a 40W 1x12, but that's what I have so I'll probably try to stick with that size range. I note all the solid state amps have some innumerable variety of signal processing nowadays. The Fender Mustang II seems to get good reviews.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 17 Jun 2014, 14:07

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take another shot at learing bass. I replaced the tuner and patch cable that got lost in the divorce, (I don't mean that my ex took them; they just disappeared in the simultaneous moves) and carried the bass and amp up from the basement. I have never been happy with the bass I have, mostly because the action was absurdly high, and the strings felt sluggish and heavy compared to the others I've messed with. After watching a few videos on youtube, I lowered the action at the bridge and retuned. Better, but not perfect. Fast forward to last week, when, with a few solo hours to kill, I stopped by Guitar Center to browse.
Yeah, you know where this is going.
I walked out the door with a Squier Jazz Bass. So far, it plays much, much better than the first bass. The transitions between finger positions that were screwing me up before are now fairly simple. And I'm able to play a few (very) simple bass lines well enough to enjoy playing in a groove.
Also, the bass doesn't make my hands hurt as much as drums do. I fear I may be getting old.

Also, there was this amp at Guitar Center that had a really nice, deep thump.....
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jun 2014, 14:12

If you're playing solo, along with recordings, I'd recommend one of the newer full-range type amps, which are also supposed to be better for playing at lower volume. If you want to push your price range and get all sorts of nifty effects and all to go with it, the Line6 Amplifi 75 would be a great choice, at least if you have any iOS devices. If you want to go cheaper and less sophisticated, the Yamaha THR10 is interesting, and a friend of mine absolutely loves it.

Unless you're playing in a group setting, the 2x10 or 1x12 style combo amp is a dinosaur. They still don't have the kind of volume that you want to deal with when playing solo. I'm of the opinion that having an amp you can't turn up past '2' is a waste. The only other reason to get a particular combo or even head/cab setup is because you absolutely have to have that particular tone you get from the setup.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jun 2014, 14:16

Number 6 wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take another shot at learing bass. I replaced the tuner and patch cable that got lost in the divorce, (I don't mean that my ex took them; they just disappeared in the simultaneous moves) and carried the bass and amp up from the basement. I have never been happy with the bass I have, mostly because the action was absurdly high, and the strings felt sluggish and heavy compared to the others I've messed with. After watching a few videos on youtube, I lowered the action at the bridge and retuned. Better, but not perfect. Fast forward to last week, when, with a few solo hours to kill, I stopped by Guitar Center to browse.
Yeah, you know where this is going.
I walked out the door with a Squier Jazz Bass. So far, it plays much, much better than the first bass. The transitions between finger positions that were screwing me up before are now fairly simple. And I'm able to play a few (very) simple bass lines well enough to enjoy playing in a groove.
Also, the bass doesn't make my hands hurt as much as drums do. I fear I may be getting old.

Also, there was this amp at Guitar Center that had a really nice, deep thump.....
The Squier basses are very good entry level basses which play very closely to their pricier brand name cousins. Glad you like it.