On the modern electric guitar

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Warren » 18 Oct 2019, 12:07

JD wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 13:14
Andrew wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 07:47
Tuco wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 06:25
[She called me to tell me this. She's not dumb, but she is a bass player.
Stereotypes are a real time-saver.
...so this rock band is getting to play their first big stadium show. And the whole band is just in awe while they're playing to the cheering crowd. The guitarist is thinking, "This is so great, I'm going to be on the cover of magazines and I'm going to be a guitar legend."
And the lead singer is thinking, "This is great, look at all these groupies, I'm going to get laid so much."
And the drummer is thinking, "This is awesome, we're going to make so much money, I'm going to buy myself a mansion, and I'll have an endorsement deal."
And the bassist is thinking, "A, A, A, A, G, G, G, G..."
So what you're saying is, The only member of the band focused on his work is the bass player.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JD » 18 Oct 2019, 14:06

Warren wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:07
So what you're saying is, The only member of the band focused on his work is the bass player.
:-P

So this European explorer is going down a river deep in Central Africa with his native guide, their raft drifting down this dark, slow-moving, green river, the trees almost completely blocking out the light. And they start to hear these drums in the distance, going boom, boom, boom.
The explorer says, "I don't like the sound of those drums." But the guide says, "No worry. Drums good."

They keep drifting down the river, deeper into the jungle, and the drums get louder and faster. The explorer says, "I really don't like the sound of those drums!" and the guide just shakes his head and says, "Drums good, drums good."

As they keep going the drums get even louder and more insistent, and the explorer says, "I really do not like the sound of those drums at all! Are you sure it's OK?!" and the guide says "Drums all good! Only bad when drums stop!"
The explorer cries out, "Why? What happens when the drums stop?" And the guide looks him in the eye and says..."Bass solo."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Tuco
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tuco » 19 Oct 2019, 05:53

What's the difference betweed a guitar player and god? God doesn't think he's a guitarist.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Nov 2019, 19:10

Guitar gear counts for this thread, right?

I rediscovered this footage of The Who from Tanglewood in July 1970 (there's also footage of the opening act, Jethro Tull). There's only the opening 55 minutes of video on YT, but the whole audio exists. Unlike the Isle of Wight footage, it's shot from several mostly-static cameras with no obnoxious jumps/zooms every 2 seconds.

It's the usual excellent performance from The Who of the era, but I like the video because you can see the gear. Both Townshend and Entwistle are using 3 Hiwatt amplifiers and 2 double stacks of speakers. I cannot even imagine how loud that was on stage yet they're playing with no stage monitors. They were playing the same show every night, but that's still impressive to hold it together when they probably can't hear each other.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 20 Nov 2019, 20:02

Andrew wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 19:10
It's the usual excellent performance from The Who of the era, but I like the video because you can see the gear. Both Townshend and Entwistle are using 3 Hiwatt amplifiers and 2 double stacks of speakers. I cannot even imagine how loud that was on stage yet they're playing with no stage monitors. They were playing the same show every night, but that's still impressive to hold it together when they probably can't hear each other.
That's pretty crazy. I see that the drums are miked, so I can only imagine that the guitar amps are too, although I can't really make it out. If they're not miked, that would explain why they need so much of a backline, of course, but still. I don't know if the fake wall of amps was a thing at that point or not, but I think not. And now they can't hear each other because of the tinnitus and hearing loss!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD » 20 Nov 2019, 20:43

And this thread reminded me: I am going to take a class in intermediate-beginner bass, so hopefully I don't pick up a ton of bad habits on the bass and I can actually play bass like a bassist instead of like a guitarist.

I've also been casting a wistful eye towards Jaguar basses again. My old Jaguar SS was OK but I really wanted a standard-scale bass. And while I like my Thunderbird, the Jaguars with the P/J configuration are pretty cool. Unfortunately it does not help that over the last few years, Fender and Squier have made them in 30", 32", and 34" scale, and people advertising one for sale rarely bother to say which it is. :-P

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 24 Nov 2019, 08:27

JD wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 20:43
I've also been casting a wistful eye towards Jaguar basses again. My old Jaguar SS was OK but I really wanted a standard-scale bass. And while I like my Thunderbird, the Jaguars with the P/J configuration are pretty cool. Unfortunately it does not help that over the last few years, Fender and Squier have made them in 30", 32", and 34" scale, and people advertising one for sale rarely bother to say which it is. :-P
I was going to suggest the Squier Jaguar that I have, but it looks like it's already been discontinued. This one appears to be the same one that I have (the 34"). Otherwise, all I see are full-price Fender Jaguars.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Nov 2019, 13:02

It occurs to me that guitars (including electric basses) are pretty much the only instruments people collect. A professional horn player might well own several trumpets or whatever, but it is guitarists in particular who often end up owning over a dozen different guitars.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 24 Nov 2019, 15:20

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 13:02
It occurs to me that guitars (including electric basses) are pretty much the only instruments people collect. A professional horn player might well own several trumpets or whatever, but it is guitarists in particular who often end up owning over a dozen different guitars.
I can think of at least 2 books off the top of my head documenting bass collections (one of Entwistle's and one of Geddy Lee's) and I know there are several documenting guitar collections, but I'd certainly be surprised to learn of similar books for trumpets, violas, etc.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 24 Nov 2019, 16:09

Some drummers will have multiple sets, and almost all will, over time, collect cymbals and the like. I've got an acoustic kit, an electronic one, and several hand drums.
I don't really play bass or guitar (though I try), but I own two basses*, an electric guitar**, and an acoustic.***

*Squire J-bass and an off brand called a Johnson
** Squire strat
*Washburn Acoustic/Electric
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 25 Nov 2019, 13:06

Andrew wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 08:27
I was going to suggest the Squier Jaguar that I have, but it looks like it's already been discontinued. This one appears to be the same one that I have (the 34"). Otherwise, all I see are full-price Fender Jaguars.
That one has the "bass boost" feature and takes a 9V battery, right? Does it require the battery, or does it work without one too?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Nov 2019, 18:59

JD wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 13:06
Andrew wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 08:27
That one has the "bass boost" feature and takes a 9V battery, right? Does it require the battery, or does it work without one too?
Yes, it has the boost, which mostly translates to active pickups that require a 9V battery.