On the modern electric guitar

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: On the modern electric guitar

Post by Andrew » 05 Feb 2019, 20:14

JD wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 13:59
Andrew wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 17:55
I said screw it and went to the local shop and bought this. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but this way I avoided dealing with weirdos on craigslist, pawn shops, or Guitar Center. Jaguar body + full scale + PJ pickups = take my money.
Nice! I've got the short scale version of that, not being as regular of a bassist. There's something to be said for the long scale, though. I'm curious to know if you find the J pickup to be oddly lifeless, or if that weakness is specific to the ss version.
I'm running everything through Rocksmith right now, so it's tough to say. If I'm consistent enough with practice, I'll get a proper amp in a few months. My guess is that the J is kinda lifeless because that's my assumption about J pickups.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 04 Mar 2019, 14:51

Another Thunderbird came up for a really good price locally, so I sold my short-scale bass and got the Thunderbird. The neck dive is truly horrendous, though. I can't even imagine how a product makes it to the manufacturing stage without somebody saying "You know, guys..." Fortunately I will mostly be playing sitting down so it's not a big deal, plus there are some fixes for it.

It is a pretty huge instrument, but I think playing the short-scale bass helped me adjust; going directly to a long-scale bass might have been too much. The hardest thing to adjust to is just the overall size of the instrument - I'm used to moving around in my room with a regular guitar, and I keep knocking into things.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 04 Mar 2019, 15:59

JD wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 14:51
Another Thunderbird came up for a really good price locally, so I sold my short-scale bass and got the Thunderbird. The neck dive is truly horrendous, though. I can't even imagine how a product makes it to the manufacturing stage without somebody saying "You know, guys..." Fortunately I will mostly be playing sitting down so it's not a big deal, plus there are some fixes for it.

It is a pretty huge instrument, but I think playing the short-scale bass helped me adjust; going directly to a long-scale bass might have been too much. The hardest thing to adjust to is just the overall size of the instrument - I'm used to moving around in my room with a regular guitar, and I keep knocking into things.
I haven't held a Thunderbird, but pics look like it might be even bigger than what I bought. The Jaguar I bought already makes a regular guitar feel like a child's toy, so I can only imagine what that thing feels like.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 04 Mar 2019, 16:31

Andrew wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:59
I haven't held a Thunderbird, but pics look like it might be even bigger than what I bought. The Jaguar I bought already makes a regular guitar feel like a child's toy, so I can only imagine what that thing feels like.
I'm not sure, but I think it might be bigger. It wouldn't fit in a coffin case for bass, which is a pretty damn big case. I was able to remove an internal separator in the case and then it fit with room to spare, but I was startled that it was about an inch too long for the unmodified case.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF