This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 May 2020, 14:56
lunchstealer wrote:
11 May 2020, 13:56
Warren wrote:
11 May 2020, 11:38
Ellie wrote:
11 May 2020, 10:37
nicole wrote:
11 May 2020, 10:17
Jerry Stiller RIP
That one really hurts :(
It hurt more a few years ago when Anne Meara died.
I always thought of them as a couple.
Well apart from having a show together they were married for 60 years and literally begat Ben Stiller so yeah in every sense of the word.
And, not to speak ill of the dead, but I never thought they were very funny. They were survivors of the Borsch Belt, night club and TV variety show era and I saw them dozens of times on TV and can't remember a single joke or occasion when they made me laugh. For that matter, IMO, the jury isn't in on Ben yet, either.

To be fair, Jerry was good in Seinfeld, but I'd guess that was because of the writing.
Ben has made me laugh but not nearly as much as he should've. His best role was the straight-guy foil to Bill Pullman in Zero Effect, not least because he didn't spend the entire time mugging angrily at the camera like he did in his comedic roles. He's probably 70% of why I've never re-watched Mystery Men (another 20% is Pee Wee who has also never really caught on with me).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Tropic Thunder is a point of redemption for so many people who aren't otherwise funny. It's a shining star in the B Stiller oeuvre.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Tropic Thunder is a fantastic movie and Stiller is fantastic in it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Yeah I need to see that. Don't remember why I didn't, but I didn't and haven't ever had a good opportunity to fix it.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I have enjoyed Ben Stiller in Zoolander, Dodgeball, and Tropic Thunder. I think that's it, although he might've also been entertaining in Starsky and Hutch.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Anybody who didn't like Zoolander is BANNED
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Andrew wrote:
11 May 2020, 16:30
I have enjoyed Ben Stiller in Zoolander, Dodgeball, and Tropic Thunder. I think that's it, although he might've also been entertaining in Starsky and Hutch.
That would be my short list as well. I thought he had some moments in Meet the Parents, but he played that pretty straight and wasn't doing any goofball characters in that.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
11 May 2020, 16:34
Anybody who didn't like Zoolander is BANNED
Then ban me.

Tropic Thunder is okay, but quite overrated in my opinion. It's fun and interesting as a take down of action genre and movie making, but not funny. Tom Cruise is the best thing about it.

None of these people have ever once come close to being funny
Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler (no not even his early stuff), Well Ferrell, Owen Wilson.
All of them, 100% unfunny.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I enjoy Wilson{s] in Wes Anderson films, but Anderson is of selective appeal and so stylized that it's less enjoying Wilson and more enjoying Anderson's use of Wilson. I do not ever expect others to enjoy Wes Anderson films, rather finding a pleasant serendipity when it comes up and someone else does, too.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Wes is peculiar to me. I really feel like I should like his stuff. But when I watch it, I get it, but it just doesn't land with me. Too much pretense with insufficient substance to back it up.

I remember some goth girl with three pounds of metal in her face working register at the neighborhood movie rental shop recommending Life Aquatic to me. When I returned it I was like "You can't possibly get these jokes. You're nowhere near old enough to get these jokes. Also, these jokes aren't actually funny."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote:
12 May 2020, 14:30
Wes is peculiar to me. I really feel like I should like his stuff. But when I watch it, I get it, but it just doesn't land with me. Too much pretense with insufficient substance to back it up.

I remember some goth girl with three pounds of metal in her face working register at the neighborhood movie rental shop recommending Life Aquatic to me. When I returned it I was like "You can't possibly get these jokes. You're nowhere near old enough to get these jokes. Also, these jokes aren't actually funny."
Life Aquatic is, if not his worst movie, close to it. In general, though, I like the twee whimsy of Anderson's movies.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
12 May 2020, 14:30

This is a fair assessment. I'm kind of that way with a lot of Terry Gilliam stuff.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
12 May 2020, 14:48
This is a fair assessment. I'm kind of that way with a lot of Terry Gilliam stuff.
Hmm yeah. I remember watching Time Bandits in the theater and being like "WTF is everyone going on about, this is boring AF". But then later when I re-watched it on TV, I was like "Ohhh yeah, now I get it. This is great."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The Royal Tenenbaums was the only Anderson movie I really liked until I saw Isle of Dogs.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

The Life Aquatic is really the only Wes Anderson movie I like.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I've not seen Tannenbaums, but I've enjoyed most of the Wes Anderson stuff I've seen. Life Aquatic was good, although it dragged a bit. Moonrise Kingdom is pretty wonderful. And Isle of Dogs is, of course, superb.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I've never seen Isle of Dogs; I'll have to check that out.

I love The Royal Tennenbaums. I bawl my eyes out at the end every time. It was the right mix of "life is sad but also hopeful." The Life Aquatic felt too sad. I quit about halfway through that one.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Liked Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom, Isle of Dogs, and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Darjeeling Limited would make my top 100 worst of all time list.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

dead_elvis wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:28

Pretty much this. I put anderson almost in the same category as Malick. It's not a normal movie its a wes anderson thing and I feel there's a place for it in the landscape. They don't all work but there's something to them. My wife could watch isle of dogs forever I think.

JoJo Rabbit might as well be a Wes Anderson movie btw.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote:
13 May 2020, 20:37
dead_elvis wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:28

Pretty much this. I put anderson almost in the same category as Malick. It's not a normal movie its a wes anderson thing and I feel there's a place for it in the landscape. They don't all work but there's something to them. My wife could watch isle of dogs forever I think.

JoJo Rabbit might as well be a Wes Anderson movie btw.
I need to see that, and the original WWDitS, although I frickin' love the series.

I also have Hunt for the Wilderpeople in my Hulu queue.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren

Post by Warren »

:cry:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

That sucks. I loved that guy.