This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 19:22
lunchstealer wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 22:37
Warren wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 19:01
Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 18:31
My sympathies to family, friends, and fans.

I don't count myself as any of them. Odo was the most wanting of a wanting cast. Quark however, made up for at least three other lackluster characters.
I think Odo would've been worse in a lot of other actors' hands. He never went for the gee whiz enunciate every word like a fourth grade teacher vibe that 90% of Trek actors went for in the Berman years.
No? Compare/Contrast
Quark was undeniably the best character on the show. But almost as undeniably, Auberjonois was better than Lofton, Farrel, or Visitor.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 18:22
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

I don't count myself as any of them. Odo was the most wanting of a wanting cast. Quark however, made up for at least three other lackluster characters.
I think Odo would've been worse in a lot of other actors' hands. He never went for the gee whiz enunciate every word like a fourth grade teacher vibe that 90% of Trek actors went for in the Berman years.
No? Compare/Contrast
Quark was undeniably the best character on the show. But almost as undeniably, Auberjonois was better than Lofton, Farrel, or Visitor.
Undeniable is a strong claim, almost always too strong for the claim being made.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 18:56
lunchstealer wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 18:22
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

No? Compare/Contrast
Undeniable is a strong claim, almost always too strong for the claim being made.
*cocks head quizzically*

do you even internet, bro?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Imus's fans in the mourning.

Warren

Post by Warren »

You need to crosspost that to tasteless comments
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Syd Mead. You've seen his work even if you don't recognize the name.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Buck Henry, 89.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Fuck cancer.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Now I'll never hear Wye Wye Zed played live.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Fuck cancer.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 16:25
Well fuck.

Neil Peart, 67.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/n ... -1.5422806
Saw that. Had to go to my bunk (at work) to not be seen crying. There's a long, boring thing to be written about what Peart's playing, lyrics, and books meant to me. It's one I don't feel up to writing right now, but I'll say this: Henry Rollins' stuff probably saved my life a time or two. But Peart's music and lyrics convinced me that life could not only be endured, but could be worthwhile. He's the only player I know whose drum figures alone renew hope and optimism for me. (The double bass roll into the chorus of "We Hold On" and the 8th into 16th snare hits part in "Analog Kid" are good examples). He's a celebrity I've never met*, and it's silly to be this down about it. But at some point in the next day or two, it'll be time to put on headphones, blast Rush, and sob for a while.

*I've always wondered if I walked past him at one point. I pulled into a gas station near Whiteman Air Force Base one day, and noted the red BMW GS parked in front of the store. I've read all of Peart's travel books, and the bike jumped out as being the model he rides. It was certainly outfitted for long distances-big saddle bags and the like. I amused myself by wondering if he was out on one of his road trips. As I walked inside to pay, the bike owner walked out. And he looked a LOT like Peart. I didn't say anything, of course. But the resemblance was close enought that I've always wondered.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Warren wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 16:27
Now I'll never hear Wye Wye Zed played live.
It was fucking amazing.
Some years ago, I took my dad to see Rush. I'd gotten him into them several years before. When they started 2112, I leaned over and said something along the lines of "Watch this...you're about to have your mind blown." After the show, I asked what he thought of Peart's playing. His response was, "I've never seen anything like that. And I saw Buddy Rich."
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Edd Byrnes, 87.

Most famously known, if no longer remembered, from the late 50s/early 60s TV show 77 Sunset Strip as "Gerald Lloyd "Kookie" Kookson III, the rock and roll-loving, wisecracking, hair-combing hipster and aspiring PI who initially worked as the valet parking attendant at Dino's, the club next door to the detectives' office. "Kookie" often found a way to get himself involved in the firm's cases, and was eventually made a full partner in the firm with his own office."

In fact, Kookie (who one might say 'jumped the shark' when he morphed from parking attendant to partner in a lucrative detective agency) was the very model for Fonzie on Happy Days. Byrnes also had one hit record, "Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)," recorded with the now little remembered Connie Stevens. It was a "novelty" song that I was amused to read has been retroactively described as "rap-style."

Byrnes never had much of a career after that, though he did get minor parts in a number of movies and guest appearances on TV shows for decades after the show was cancelled. We rarely watched 77 Sunset Strip when it was first broadcast but I remember it in reruns. It spawned an nearly endless procession of "hip detective" shows which, though dramas, were lighter in tone than Peter Gunn.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 11:06
It spawned an nearly endless procession of "hip detective" shows which, though dramas, were lighter in tone than Peter Gunn.
Anything prior to The Rockford Files?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

Roger Scruton
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

OneEasyRushSong.jpg
OneEasyRushSong.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Also, despite not loving "Chemistry" or "Digital Man", Subdivisions is probably my favorite album, and this cover vid shows how even the kinda-easy-ish title track is... damn.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 19:35
Also, despite not loving "Chemistry" or "Digital Man", Subdivisions is probably my favorite album, and this cover vid shows how even the kinda-easy-ish title track is... damn.
Can play like Neil, looks like Geddy.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Christopher Tolkien, 95.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Jasper wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 08:31
lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 19:35
Can play like Neil, looks like Geddy.
Subdivisions is one of the Rush songs that are fairly simple to fake on drums, but very, very hard to play the way Peart did. See also the intro to Far Cry, which sounds simple until you try to play along, or even just count the beat.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Derek Fowlds, 82

Played Bernard Woolley on "Yes, Minister"

Bernard thinks it's about time we reformed regional government.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I am offended on Neil Peart's behalf. That blowhard halfwit rates higher*? Ptui.
NotFitToLickTheirShoes.png
NotFitToLickTheirShoes.png (222.69 KiB) Viewed 756 times
*Or I guess Rush fans have actual albums and cds to listen to and aren't searching youtube. But still, it's just the principle.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I think I'm more offended that Tom Sawyer is the first Rush song on the list. Forty years of music, and that middling song is all most people know of the band.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 01:07
I am offended on Neil Peart's behalf. That blowhard halfwit rates higher*? Ptui.

NotFitToLickTheirShoes.png

*Or I guess Rush fans have actual albums and cds to listen to and aren't searching youtube. But still, it's just the principle.
I know nothing about current music trends and "Rush" as a band name is something I have only vaguely heard about, so Rush the Blowhard is someone I am more aware of.

It isn't a preference, it's simply a product of the noise level.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Number 6 wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 07:20
I think I'm more offended that Tom Sawyer is the first Rush song on the list. Forty years of music, and that middling song is all most people know of the band.
I want to say Spirit of the Radio got more mainstream radio play (because irony has in fact always been dead), but I remember Tom Sawyer being a staple of 'freedom rock' -ish music compilation tv commericials. (Though I don't think Freedom Rock itself.)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex