This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9277
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 28 Sep 2017, 16:18

Mo wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 14:46
The hottest take yet.
Hefner’s life will be derided as profane, but his work celebrates the sexual complementarity that has bound men and women together since the dawn of time.
Which is more insane, the Federalist or the Resurgent?

My pick is the Resurgent.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15015
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by dhex » 28 Sep 2017, 16:37

I learned from euro Twitter that the federalist is Centre right.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17919
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by dbcooper » 28 Sep 2017, 17:52

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12581
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Highway » 28 Sep 2017, 20:35

dbcooper wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 17:52
So is Austin Powers' plane based on that?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Warren » 28 Sep 2017, 20:45

YEAH BABY!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13037
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2017, 09:05

Hef wasn't even that good of a capitalist. Or maybe a good capitalist, but not that good at running a business. He was a self made multi-millionaire, sure, but if it weren't for his actual biological family, his brand and his money would have been gone circa 1990.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Warren » 29 Sep 2017, 09:18

Kolohe wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 09:05
Hef wasn't even that good of a capitalist. Or maybe a good capitalist, but not that good at running a business. He was a self made multi-millionaire, sure, but if it weren't for his actual biological family, his brand and his money would have been gone circa 1990.
The idea that once a company goes blue chip it should be immortal, not a very capitalist one. The business model that worked so well for Playboy for four decades wasn't working anymore. And if Hef in his 70's wasn't able to nimbly turn the Playboy cruise liner around, I'll give him a pass.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9277
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 09:29

Warren wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 09:18
Kolohe wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 09:05
Hef wasn't even that good of a capitalist. Or maybe a good capitalist, but not that good at running a business. He was a self made multi-millionaire, sure, but if it weren't for his actual biological family, his brand and his money would have been gone circa 1990.
The idea that once a company goes blue chip it should be immortal, not a very capitalist one. The business model that worked so well for Playboy for four decades wasn't working anymore. And if Hef in his 70's wasn't able to nimbly turn the Playboy cruise liner around, I'll give him a pass.
Yeah, after having a multimillion dollar idea in the 1950s, a thirty year run is pretty good.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22227
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Mo » 29 Sep 2017, 10:26

Kolohe's critique is that they were well placed to succeed where the market was going, but Hef couldn't capitalize on it well. You can make a similar critique about Sears, which killed its catalog business the year Amazon went live. If there's a single legacy retailer that could have thrived in eComm, it's the old Sears catalog business.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9277
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 11:00

Mo wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 10:26
Kolohe's critique is that they were well placed to succeed where the market was going, but Hef couldn't capitalize on it well. You can make a similar critique about Sears, which killed its catalog business the year Amazon went live. If there's a single legacy retailer that could have thrived in eComm, it's the old Sears catalog business.
I don't think Playboy could have succeeded in online porn, if that's what you mean. Hustler got dirtier to deal with online porn, and it just lost them market share.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13037
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2017, 11:40

The current downturn and probable death spiral of Playboy is part of the secular downturn in all of publishing. I don't particualrly pin that on Hef or his heirs.

No, I'm talking about well before all that.

Playboy was losing money big time in the 80s, before the internet was a thing. They had a renaissance in the 90s, after Christie Hefner had righted the ship, got rid of the clubs (over Hef's objections, IIRC), and focused on publishing and cable TV.

The late 90s and early 00s overall was a high point in the business of publishing, as technology had made production much easier, but had not yet disruppted the business model on the consumption side. (Washington Post was at its peak stock price, for instance).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13698
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Aresen » 29 Sep 2017, 15:26

Kolohe wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:40
The current downturn and probable death spiral of Playboy is part of the secular downturn in all of publishing. I don't particualrly pin that on Hef or his heirs.

No, I'm talking about well before all that.

Playboy was losing money big time in the 80s, before the internet was a thing. They had a renaissance in the 90s, after Christie Hefner had righted the ship, got rid of the clubs (over Hef's objections, IIRC), and focused on publishing and cable TV.

The late 90s and early 00s overall was a high point in the business of publishing, as technology had made production much easier, but had not yet disruppted the business model on the consumption side. (Washington Post was at its peak stock price, for instance).
The whole "cool guy with two hot babes on each arm" ethos was dead by 1985. By then, Michael Milliken was the role model for men.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13037
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2017, 19:59

Or Donald Trump.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Sandy » 30 Sep 2017, 17:23

Aresen wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:40
The current downturn and probable death spiral of Playboy is part of the secular downturn in all of publishing. I don't particualrly pin that on Hef or his heirs.

No, I'm talking about well before all that.

Playboy was losing money big time in the 80s, before the internet was a thing. They had a renaissance in the 90s, after Christie Hefner had righted the ship, got rid of the clubs (over Hef's objections, IIRC), and focused on publishing and cable TV.

The late 90s and early 00s overall was a high point in the business of publishing, as technology had made production much easier, but had not yet disruppted the business model on the consumption side. (Washington Post was at its peak stock price, for instance).
The whole "cool guy with two hot babes on each arm" ethos was dead by 1985. By then, Michael Milliken was the role model for men.
I never heard of him until he was indicted.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by the innominate one » 30 Sep 2017, 20:38

There are no more deals to be made, the dealmaker has departed.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by the innominate one » 30 Sep 2017, 23:23

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 10:12

He will be remembered for a demonstration of the staggering ubiquity of ignorance and prejudice.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5868
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Andrew » 01 Oct 2017, 12:04

Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:12
He will be remembered for a demonstration of the staggering ubiquity of ignorance and prejudice.
It is pretty cool that a mathematical problem is named after a game show host. If there's a short, elegant version of it, that's what needs to be on his headstone.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 12:24

Andrew wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:04
Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:12
He will be remembered for a demonstration of the staggering ubiquity of ignorance and prejudice.
It is pretty cool that a mathematical problem is named after a game show host. If there's a short, elegant version of it, that's what needs to be on his headstone.
Heh. I think I'd go with
I'll trade you for what's in the box.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 795
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Oct 2017, 17:45

Aresen wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 15:26

The whole "cool guy with two hot babes on each arm" ethos was dead by 1985. By then, Michael Milliken was the role model for men.
I'd argue Hef's particular personal brand was diminished long before. I still get a kick out of how much of a square dork he comes across as talking with Roger McGuinn in one of his Playboy After Dark shows.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8423
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by nicole » 02 Oct 2017, 15:40

Tom Petty
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21762
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2017, 15:43

Oh man weak.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2631
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Jasper » 02 Oct 2017, 15:51

Fuck you 2017.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2017, 15:56

I didn't really get into Tom Petty till Y2Kish. One of those guys didn't sound like much till I listened closer.
I am sad to hear he has left us.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5868
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Andrew » 02 Oct 2017, 15:59

Now he doesn't have to live like a refugee.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests