This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kwix

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Kwix » 29 Jun 2018, 18:29

I remember meeting him on two different occasions (both convention signing events).
The first was a long wait and he was his apparently usual curmudgeonly self. Though it was not directed at me, I was unfamiliar with his personality and was taken aback. The other guy then laughed and I figured out the game.

The other was the year he and Bradbury were booked signing side by side at the same time. The line for Bradbury (a first year attendance for him) was at least 500 people long whereas Ellison had maybe 20 people in his line. He showed up, signed those 20 and then vocally said, "Fuck it, I'm leaving." and did.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jul 2018, 21:19

Shoko Asahara and some followers, hanged-by-the-neck-until-dead for their involvement in the 1994 and 1995 sarin attacks.

This is very strange to me; I was in college when that happened.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Jul 2018, 21:26

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 21:19
Shoko Asahara and some followers, hanged-by-the-neck-until-dead for their involvement in the 1995 nerve agent attack in the Tokyo subway.

I was mostly surprised that Japan has executions, and that they're by hanging.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jul 2018, 22:00

Andrew wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 21:26
Eric the .5b wrote:
Shoko Asahara and some followers, hanged-by-the-neck-until-dead for their involvement in the 1995 nerve agent attack in the Tokyo subway.

Oh, yeah. Something like 80% of Japanese folks support it, versus about 60% here. I'm not sure what I think about their practices, but I do give them that they don't execute very many people.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Jul 2018, 22:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 22:00
Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

Oh, yeah. Something like 80% of Japanese folks support it, versus about 60% here. I'm not sure what I think about their practices, but I do give them that they don't execute very many people.
In a lot of ways it's easier to support the death penalty when it's rarer.

I think a lot more people would support "executing Osama bin Laden" than support "the death penalty."

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2018, 14:40

Eric the .5b wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

If your hangman knows his stuff and allots the right drop to snap the neck, hanging is about as humane an execution as any other.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jul 2018, 19:09

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 14:40
Eric the .5b wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

If your hangman knows his stuff and allots the right drop to snap the neck, hanging is about as humane an execution as any other.
All methods of execution are equally humane. Once you decide to murder someone, the amount of suffering they experience beforehand really doesn't matter.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Jul 2018, 19:13

I'd have to strongly disagree with that. I think the death penalty is inhumane no matter what, but it is still far worse to torture someone to death over a week than to end their life in a moment. And I think anyone given the choice between the two would choose the latter, even though they know they'll end up dead either way.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2018, 19:19

Ellie wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 19:13
I'd have to strongly disagree with that. I think the death penalty is inhumane no matter what, but it is still far worse to torture someone to death over a week than to end their life in a moment. And I think anyone given the choice between the two would choose the latter, even though they know they'll end up dead either way.
Yeah. I really don't know what to say to that jadahugh.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jul 2018, 19:29

I'm sure the amount of suffering does matter to the victim, at least in the short term. But I can't imagine people who are so lacking in humanity that they approve of murder would care about the amount of suffering being inflicted, much less the preferences of the person being killed.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jul 2018, 19:57

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 14:40
Eric the .5b wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

Oh, definitely. More so than the gas chamber, in particular.

I was referring not to Japan's criminal justice system, which send perhaps as dubious as our own. Still, killing only a few people, and most often airtight cases for multiple murders, seems like it might avoid some of the US's worst death penalty problems.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2018, 20:14

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 19:29
I'm sure the amount of suffering does matter to the victim, at least in the short term. But I can't imagine people who are so lacking in humanity that they approve of murder would care about the amount of suffering being inflicted, much less the preferences of the person being killed.
I think you grossly underestimate the volatility of social norms. It's the images that get to people. You want a swell of anti-death penalty outpouring? Broadcast a live electric chair or gas chamber execution.
A proper hanging with a hood and snapped neck, would only boost support for the death penalty.

People may actually want murders, child molesters, drug kingpins, people that talk at the theater, to suffer, but what they don't want is to have to actually confront it themselves.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Jul 2018, 21:32

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 20:14
Hugh Akston wrote:
I think you grossly underestimate the volatility of social norms. It's the images that get to people. You want a swell of anti-death penalty outpouring? Broadcast a live electric chair or gas chamber execution.
A proper hanging with a hood and snapped neck, would only boost support for the death penalty.

People may actually want murders, child molesters, drug kingpins, people that talk at the theater, to suffer, but what they don't want is to have to actually confront it themselves.
I used to think this as well but historically public execution was a common thing and often very gruesome. That didn't seem to stop the desire for it. The Guillotine was "standing room only" throughout most of the French Revolution. And it's not like everyone in attendance thought highly of the justice system that produced those horrific numbers.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jul 2018, 21:37

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 20:14
Hugh Akston wrote:

I agree that they don't want to be confronted with it, which is why they use euphemisms like execution or capital punishment. I'm skeptical that the optics are the lynchpin holding up that and other abominable institutions. I fear that if they were broadcast live you would see a society with more naked brutality and less of the genteel civilized variety.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Jul 2018, 23:12

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:37
I agree that they don't want to be confronted with it, which is why they use euphemisms like execution or capital punishment. I'm skeptical that the optics are the lynchpin holding up that and other abominable institutions. I fear that if they were broadcast live you would see a society with more naked brutality and less of the genteel civilized variety.
Well, no, "execution" isn't a euphemism even if you or I think giving the state the power to end someone's life is wrong, as indeed I do. But context matters, which is why we have so many different terms to describe the taking of another person's life to provide that context.

As for the duration and intensity of pain the condemned suffers, it matters both to the condemned, himself, and to the society that has decided one way or another that the death penalty is appropriate in some circumstances. By all means, let's make executions public. Perhaps that would lead to more barbaric executions or maybe it would lead to the abolition of capital punishment sooner rather than later. We don't know. It's the old "we're neither angels nor devils" point, and if you really think executing someone by hanging, shooting, electrocution or gas are as barbaric as older forms of execution, well, I venture you haven't done your homework. Do the states that have capital punishment actually execute prisoners in as humane a manner as possible? Of course not. But they're not being drawn and quartered, either.

Anyway, and more in line with your pov, a bit of the late, great George Carlin on the topic:

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 08 Jul 2018, 09:35

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 23:12
Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:37
Well, no, "execution" isn't a euphemism even if you or I think giving the state the power to end someone's life is wrong, as indeed I do. But context matters, which is why we have so many different terms to describe the taking of another person's life to provide that context.

As for the duration and intensity of pain the condemned suffers, it matters both to the condemned, himself, and to the society that has decided one way or another that the death penalty is appropriate in some circumstances. By all means, let's make executions public. Perhaps that would lead to more barbaric executions or maybe it would lead to the abolition of capital punishment sooner rather than later. We don't know. It's the old "we're neither angels nor devils" point, and if you really think executing someone by hanging, shooting, electrocution or gas are as barbaric as older forms of execution, well, I venture you haven't done your homework. Do the states that have capital punishment actually execute prisoners in as humane a manner as possible? Of course not. But they're not being drawn and quartered, either.

Anyway, and more in line with your pov, a bit of the late, great George Carlin on the topic:

Damn, I miss Carlin.

JasonL

This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by JasonL » 08 Jul 2018, 09:47

This was gruesome in details but interesting as an overview of how historically people have viewed public executions. One of the major themes is the evolution from Roman style audience participation spectacles (executions were performed at halftime of gladiatorial events and showmen executioners would get the crowd involved by taking suggestions like “hot irons and beasts eating feet!!”), to religious redemption plays in which it was important again for the audience to “help” the party truly repent though maximum suffering in dignity begging Christ for mercy, to purely political deterrence efforts which cane to be at odds with religious plays because you didn’t want audience to “root” for the victim.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardc ... otainment/

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jul 2018, 12:02

In some ways, the least painful, most immediate forms of death would provide more of a spectacle (blood and/or visible disfigurement and/or banging noises) than a slow lethal death by lethal injection. I'm not sure which would offend the public more, and which would draw more support for or opposition to capital punishment.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2018, 19:57

Since nobody else mentioned him, and I feel like someone should: Steve Ditko.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Aug 2018, 16:03

Stan Mikita
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Aug 2018, 10:01

Aretha Franklin
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Aug 2018, 14:26

nicole wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 10:01
Aretha Franklin
My musician friend thought she was overrated but I respected her.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Aug 2018, 16:17

Aretha Franklin was great, but she’s no Linda Ronstadt or Kelly Clarkson.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... -original/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 17 Aug 2018, 17:18

Mo wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 16:17
Aretha Franklin was great, but she’s no Linda Ronstadt or Kelly Clarkson.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... -original/
That was a pretty solid article.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 24 Aug 2018, 17:01

Deathstyles of the Rich and Famous: Robin Leach passes away at 76. I would have guessed he was older, actually.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF