This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Apr 2018, 15:03

I recently had one of those moments where someone I haven't thought of in years just randomly popped into my head and I thought, hmmm I wonder if that person is still alive and oh my, he had just died like the day before :shock:

He's not a household name but I grew up reading him and outdoorsy types might know him- Patrick McManus, who had a column in Outdoor Life and published numerous book collections of light humorous anecdotes about fishing, hunting and camping.

A few sample quotes:
“An elk that is shot dead within 15 feet of your hunting vehicle will still pull himself together enough to gallop to the very bottom of the steepest canyon within five miles. This is known as ‘elk’s revenge.’” —Share and Share Alike, October 1982
“Avid hunting is a popular sport. There are probably more avid hunters than all the deer and elk hunters combined.” —Hunting the Wily Avid, May 1995
“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.” —The Hunting Lesson, February 1983
“In my own defense, I have nothing against standards. Years ago I'd even possessed one myself. It was not a high standard by any means, but rather a low one, so low in fact I was forever tripping over the blasted thing. So I got rid of it.” —A Lady of Standards, April 2001
“Give a man enough rope and it still will come out 6 inches too short. That is the nature of rope, if not the nature of man."
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Apr 2018, 16:25

Art Bell. I honestly thought he was dead.
She said he died on Friday, and that an autopsy was scheduled for later this week to determine the cause of death.
I think we already know...
head.jpg
head.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Apr 2018, 19:49

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 15:03
I recently had one of those moments where someone I haven't thought of in years just randomly popped into my head and I thought, hmmm I wonder if that person is still alive and oh my, he had just died like the day before :shock:

He's not a household name but I grew up reading him and outdoorsy types might know him- Patrick McManus, who had a column in Outdoor Life and published numerous book collections of light humorous anecdotes about fishing, hunting and camping.
As a person from Idaho, I have the required signed copies of his books. His first six collections are all highly enjoyable, and I'm sure reading them as a kid warped me in various ways.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 15 Apr 2018, 06:15

Man. Both those guys kept me entertained a lot.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Apr 2018, 10:01

Art Bell! Oh, that makes me much sadder than I might have guessed.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Apr 2018, 10:54

And of course Milos Foreman's death is all over the news. I'll just say that The Firemen's Ball is worth checking out. I saw it a long time ago and don't remember enough to say anything intelligent about it but it might have flown under peoples' radar because he's done so many more famous movies.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 15 Apr 2018, 20:47

R. Lee Ermey has called his final cadence.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Apr 2018, 21:21

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy shit :( :( :( :( :(

JD

Post by JD » 16 Apr 2018, 12:00

I'm sure I'm not the only one who, upon hearing that R. Lee Ermey had died, immediately heard, "LISTEN UP, MAGGOTS!"
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Apr 2018, 19:57

Harry Anderson died.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2018, 20:00

dead_elvis wrote:

A few sample quotes:
“An elk that is shot dead within 15 feet of your hunting vehicle will still pull himself together enough to gallop to the very bottom of the steepest canyon within five miles. This is known as ‘elk’s revenge.’” —Share and Share Alike, October 1982
“Avid hunting is a popular sport. There are probably more avid hunters than all the deer and elk hunters combined.” —Hunting the Wily Avid, May 1995
“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.” —The Hunting Lesson, February 1983
“In my own defense, I have nothing against standards. Years ago I'd even possessed one myself. It was not a high standard by any means, but rather a low one, so low in fact I was forever tripping over the blasted thing. So I got rid of it.” —A Lady of Standards, April 2001
“Give a man enough rope and it still will come out 6 inches too short. That is the nature of rope, if not the nature of man."
Dang. I've liked McManus ever since I was a kid and read one of his humor columns in my mom's copy of Reader's Digest. I have a few of his books on my shelf even now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Apr 2018, 20:11

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 19:57
Harry Anderson died.
Fifty dollar fine and time served. Next!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Apr 2018, 00:24

JD wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 12:00
I'm sure I'm not the only one who, upon hearing that R. Lee Ermey had died, immediately heard, "LISTEN UP, MAGGOTS!"
My first thought was, "R. Lee Ermey died, now how will we ever know who's a maggot?"

Of course the answer is us, we all are a maggot. Who just needed some tough love.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2018, 01:21

dead_elvis wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 00:24
JD wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 12:00
My first thought was, "R. Lee Ermey died, now how will we ever know who's a maggot?"

Of course the answer is us, we all are a maggot. Who just needed some tough love.
Well it's a step up from unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian shit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Apr 2018, 01:25

My favorite comment on his death from another blog:

"You’d think he’d yell at Death and make him wet his pants."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Apr 2018, 04:25

Jennifer wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:

A few sample quotes:
Dang. I've liked McManus ever since I was a kid and read one of his humor columns in my mom's copy of Reader's Digest. I have a few of his books on my shelf even now.
Yup. “Kid Camping” almost harmed me with the laughing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Apr 2018, 11:24

dead_elvis wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 01:25
My favorite comment on his death from another blog:

"You’d think he’d yell at Death and make him wet his pants."
Oh my goodness, I love that so much.

It reminds me of this comic: http://somethingpositive.net/sp02132008.shtml

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Apr 2018, 12:05

They are really dropping like flies. And the month is only halfway over.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Apr 2018, 14:35

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 04:25
Yup. “Kid Camping” almost harmed me with the laughing.
IIRC the very first McManus column I read, in that long-ago Reader's Digest, was some sort of "diary of my camping trip," and one entry was "The [obscenity deleted] tent is not yet up." And for me -- only seven or eight years old at the time -- that was my first introduction to the "We're not going to SAY a bad word; we're going to very obviously NOT-SAY a bad word" joke, and at that age I thought it was the funniest and most hilarious thing ever.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Apr 2018, 14:38

I'm glad to see Night Court getting its due; I always thought the internet under rated it, overshadowed by Cheers and Seinfeld. (and, once upon a time, Cosby)

eta - I am weird though, that I loved Harry Anderson, and I love Dave Barry, but didn't care for Dave's World at all. Apparently, the internet does, though.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Apr 2018, 15:06

Kolohe wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:38
eta - I am weird though, that I loved Harry Anderson, and I love Dave Barry, but didn't care for Dave's World at all. Apparently, the internet does, though.
Same here. I caught part of one episode of Dave's World, and it was obvious that all they did was take one-liners from Barry's columns and try to shove them into a sitcom script. The one bit I saw was when a woman (presumably the sitcom wife?) made the fake "food chain" joke I recognized from a column -- something about "Man eats cows, which eat corn, which comes from Iowa, which was part of the Louisiana Purchase, which came from France, where people eat garlic, which repels vampires, which suck blood from Man." Funny in the column when I read it, but in that sitcom context I remember thinking "No, this isn't working."

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2018, 15:26

Kolohe wrote:
I'm glad to see Night Court getting its due; I always thought the internet under rated it, overshadowed by Cheers and Seinfeld. (and, once upon a time, Cosby)

ditto

I caught one episode of Dave's World and while it had some laughs, it didn't make enough of an impression to make a point of seeing it again.
I do remember one gag that I liked from it; the To Do fix it list had gotten so long they had to throw a dinner party.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Apr 2018, 16:13

Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 15:26
Kolohe wrote:

ditto

I caught one episode of Dave's World and while it had some laughs, it didn't make enough of an impression to make a point of seeing it again.
I do remember one gag that I liked from it; the To Do fix it list had gotten so long they had to throw a dinner party.
The writing wasn't very good on the episodes of Dave's World I've seen. I suspect the suits thought, hey, these two guys are both funny, so if we just get Harry to pretend he's Dave, we'll have a hit. It often happens, though, that people who are funny in print don't translate well to spoken performance. P.J. O'Rourke is notoriously unfunny in person. I don't think Dave Barry has that problem, but written comedy and performed comedy are two very different things.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2018, 18:49

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 16:13
P.J. O'Rourke is notoriously unfunny in person.
20 years ago that wasn't so true. Then again, he was funnier in print 20 years ago as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Apr 2018, 20:12

Carl Kassel

Barbara Bush
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul