This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by the innominate one » 07 Jan 2018, 11:58

Astronaut John Young died.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jan 2018, 12:44

Can't top Alan Shepard practicing hitting out of the sand.

Nothing can really.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jan 2018, 11:18

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Jan 2018, 20:17

I played the shit out of this album back in the day. R.I.P. Fast Eddie, thanks for the hearing loss.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 11 Jan 2018, 21:08

It's a wonder that 2/3 of the classic Motorhead lineup lived to 65+. I can't even imagine the amphetamine intake it required to tour and play as fast and loud as No Sleep Til Hammersmith... every night.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Jan 2018, 13:07

It would have been nice for Dolores O'Riordan to linger around this world a bit longer.

This was my favorite of their songs
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jan 2018, 13:23

Kolohe wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 13:07
It would have been nice for Dolores O'Riordan to linger around this world a bit longer.

This was my favorite of their songs
Oh. Damn.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jan 2018, 13:55

Damn, we keep losing 90's rockers. Hopefully when I reflect back on 2018 I won't be looking back in anger.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jan 2018, 13:57

It's unfortunate that the grayed-out play button on the youtube played makes her look like she has broken teeth.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Jan 2018, 19:30

R.I.P. Ursula K. Le Guin, 88.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jan 2018, 22:47

She missed her film debut
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Jan 2018, 23:01

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 19:30
She's one of those people, like Prince, who never resonated with me, but who I respected the craft and that they really affected others. Like my LGBT friends are obviously going to be drawn to the writer of The Left Hand of Darkness.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jan 2018, 23:06

Mo wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 22:47
Is there a film project in the works? I know there's a miniseries version of Left Hand of Darkness she was attached to.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Jan 2018, 23:26

Mo wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 22:47
Are you sure you're not thinking of Madeleine L'Engle (who btw missed her film debut by a decade)?

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jan 2018, 08:55

Doh. Was thinking of L'Engle at the time, which is weird because she died a decade ago.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 24 Jan 2018, 10:54

Sandy wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 23:01
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
She's one of those people, like Prince, who never resonated with me, but who I respected the craft and that they really affected others. Like my LGBT friends are obviously going to be drawn to the writer of The Left Hand of Darkness.
As it is with so many of them, great writer, retarded politics. She wins big points with me for The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas and the original Earthsea trilogy.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Jan 2018, 11:29

tr0g wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 10:54
Sandy wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
As it is with so many of them, great writer, retarded politics. She wins big points with me for The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas and the original Earthsea trilogy.
Someone on Twitter (Arthur Chu of all people) made a good point that she was very willing to poke holes in her own politics - i.e. The Dispossessed is mostly about how a anarcho-communist SJW utopia is deeply flawed, as the main plot and point of view is from someone fleeing such a society as a refugee)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Jan 2018, 11:31

I mean, constrast with Heinlein, who thought he had the answer to everything. (and Asimov somwhere in the middle of those poles of certitude)

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jan 2018, 11:55

Well the thing about Heinlein is he kept realizing his answer to everything was just another problem only to find a new answer to everything.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jan 2018, 12:16

Kolohe wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 11:29
tr0g wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 10:54
Sandy wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Someone on Twitter (Arthur Chu of all people) made a good point that she was very willing to poke holes in her own politics - i.e. The Dispossessed is mostly about how a anarcho-communist SJW utopia is deeply flawed, as the main plot and point of view is from someone fleeing such a society as a refugee)
I HAAAATED that book when I read it, but the more I think about it, the more interesting it is as a critical study of a hypothetical political/economic culture. But GAWD is it dry for most of the book. And the whole refugee thing at the end was just kind of baffling, but I may have been just beaten down by the plodding prose and glacial pace of the first three quarters of the book. I never have read anything else she did. I got a copy of The Left Hand of Darkness but never brought my self to open it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Jan 2018, 12:37

I loved the original Earthsea trillogy. Book 4 was also pretty good, but a bit heavy-handed politically. (And written like 20 years after the first three, so I consider it a separate venture).

I also really liked Left Hand of Darkness. Weird fucking book, but good and interesting.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Jan 2018, 12:48

Jadagul wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 12:37
I loved the original Earthsea trillogy. Book 4 was also pretty good, but a bit heavy-handed politically. (And written like 20 years after the first three, so I consider it a separate venture).

I also really liked Left Hand of Darkness. Weird fucking book, but good and interesting.
The Left Hand of Darkness should be on anyone's contemporary American literature reading list.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 24 Jan 2018, 13:17

I recall liking the first Earthsea book, but the 2nd was a big wtf to me after the first. I don't recall the third, and I think I skipped the 4th since it sounded like a continuation of the second. It's been many years, though, so perhaps I should reread them.

I just read "The Word for the World is Forest" by her in Again, Dangerous Visions. It was... not good. It's the 2nd in the Hainish books (after Left Hand and before Dispossessed) and reading it definitely doesn't make me want to read the others. It was as subtle as a Captain Planet episode.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 24 Jan 2018, 17:49

Mark E. Smith is dead at 60. Thank you, God.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Jan 2018, 18:31

he was only 60?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch