This is the thread for people who died, died.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

This is the thread for people who died, died.

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 28 May 2010, 18:27

Conrad Bain claims another soul:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 8052.story

Edited: Because every time I see this thread, I get the theme song to Diff'rent Strokes stuck in my head.
Last edited by Fin Fang Foom on 01 Jun 2015, 09:22, edited 5 times in total.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Number 6

Re: The world is moving to the beat of one fewer drum.

Post by Number 6 » 28 May 2010, 22:18

And now the world is a little bit less interesting.
He's gone to the big bicycle shop in the sky.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 May 2010, 22:32

I hate celebrity culture - particularly the fans and the paparazzi - in general, but I have a particular hate for the cults that surround child stars. Of all the child stars I have heard of, only Ron Howard seems to have turned out decently.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 May 2010, 23:38

Aresen wrote:I hate celebrity culture - particularly the fans and the paparazzi - in general, but I have a particular hate for the cults that surround child stars. Of all the child stars I have heard of, only Ron Howard seems to have turned out decently.
I think Jodie Foster turned out pretty well (so far), and Shirley Temple turned out amazingly well given her childhood.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 May 2010, 23:48

Wil Wheaton turned out alright, considering that millions wanted him dead.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 28 May 2010, 23:56

dbcooper wrote:Wil Wheaton turned out alright, considering that millions wanted him dead.
Wheaton is cool, and a libertarian.
The others are good for pools on when they will die, overdose, or go into rehab.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jun 2010, 00:15

Danica McKellar grew up to be a math genius.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Jun 2010, 10:48

Jennifer wrote:Danica McKellar grew up to be a math genius.
A hot math genius.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 01 Jun 2010, 10:49

Number 6 wrote:
A hot math genius.
Indeed

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 01 Jun 2010, 11:07

Number 6 wrote:
A hot math genius.
Who sells the importance and coolness of mathematics to young ladies. This is an important thing.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 Jun 2010, 14:15

* shrugs *

Coleman for Governor was DOA anyway...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 01 Jun 2010, 15:42

J sub D wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
A hot math genius.
Who sells the importance and coolness of mathematics to young ladies. This is an important thing.
Not that any of you would care, but Danica's co-star on The Wonder Years Fred Savage turned out ok too. Except for the time that he was way too convincing as a charming, mildly sociopathic (alleged) rapist on L&O SVU. That was just creepy.

And the other guy who played the best friend became a lawyer, but I'm not sure that counts as "turning out ok."
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Jun 2010, 20:52

I think the time of child stars being screwed up is fairly long past. Most of them seem to do okay nowadays. Though I feel guilty about wanting to nail the grown up versions of some.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jun 2010, 21:45

Well, there are still the likes of Tatum O’Neal, Haley Joel Osment, and leave us not forget Lindsay Lohan.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Jun 2010, 22:46

Let's hope that he'll be frozen in cryostasis so he can be re-awoken in four hundred years to the wise cracking genius president of an alien planet that looks suspiciously like a mall or corporate campus in Southern California circa 1979.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Jun 2010, 22:52

Rachel wrote:
J sub D wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
A hot math genius.
Not that any of you would care, but Danica's co-star on The Wonder Years Fred Savage turned out ok too. Except for the time that he was way too convincing as a charming, mildly sociopathic (alleged) rapist on L&O SVU. That was just creepy.

And the other guy who played the best friend became a lawyer, but I'm not sure that counts as "turning out ok."
He's kind of disappeared, though. He had a role in Goldmember and, IIRC, a short-lived sitcom of some sort. Has he done anything else?
I often wonder how kids whose careers vanish just after puberty make a living as adults. Do they have enough to just coast, or what?

edit: The mighty wikipedia indicates that Savage directs these days.
Last edited by Number 6 on 01 Jun 2010, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Jun 2010, 22:53

Number 6 wrote:
Rachel wrote:
J sub D wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
A hot math genius.

He's kind of disappeared, though. He had a role in Goldmember and, IIRC, a short-lived sitcom of some sort. Has he done anything else?
I often wonder how kids whose careers vanish just after puberty make a living as adults. Do they have enough to just coast, or what?
He seems to be focused on directing tv shows.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Jun 2010, 22:56

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Well, there are still the likes of Tatum O’Neal, Haley Joel Osment, and leave us not forget Lindsay Lohan.
Oh, Tatum O'Neal is crazy. Her nickname on-set is Tantrum O'Neal (at least, when she's not in the room). I once accidentally knocked over her coffee cup at a shoot; it took the combined efforts of her boyfriend and my dad to keep her from blowing up.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 01 Jun 2010, 23:39

In his 20s, Fred Savage was also the star of a short-lived TV comedy about working in a corporate office -- I remember it as a pretty decent show, but it was canceled.

IMDB says it was called .... ah! Working.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 02 Jun 2010, 05:12

Yeah, Working was pretty good. IIRC, it had the quirkiness of Scrubs before Scrubs existed.

Like many good ideas, it was probably before it's time. TOO SOON!
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Jun 2010, 13:35

Fred Savage produces It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which makes up for everything else he ever did, or didn't, do.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 02 Jun 2010, 15:24

From a guy on Twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/gUCNk.jpg
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Jun 2010, 15:46

I liked Gary Coleman because he had an absolute shit life from childhood on, but he handled it pretty well, considering. He also never lost his work ethic, even if he couldn't keep money around. If he needed to be a security guard, he did it. He didn't whine about being a child actor, he just worked.

Obviously he wasn't perfect, but you gotta admire somebody who takes being given up by his parents, a liver defect, and his parents robbing him blind and will still show up for work.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Jun 2010, 22:11

Sandy wrote:I liked Gary Coleman because he had an absolute shit life from childhood on, but he handled it pretty well, considering. He also never lost his work ethic, even if he couldn't keep money around. If he needed to be a security guard, he did it. He didn't whine about being a child actor, he just worked.

Obviously he wasn't perfect, but you gotta admire somebody who takes being given up by his parents, a liver defect, and his parents robbing him blind and will still show up for work.
His life was over when he hit puberty, but he's there, the superintendent...
It sucks to be him!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jun 2010, 22:14

Neil patrick Harris is someone who looks like they got their shit together
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex