Mr. Robot: with spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Mr. Robot: with spoilers

Post by Jennifer »

Also -- this is a detail I didn't notice myself, but have seen multiple mentions on reddit and have no reason to doubt it -- Happy World Elliot has certain traits which Our Elliot sneers at, and HWE is definitely NOT a hacker -- something about, instead of a PC running Linux and other "hacker" stuff, Elliot has a Mac, and all of his programs and apps are standard iStuff.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem »

Jennifer wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 13:42
And Darlene is not in Elliot's life because HER ideal is that she stayed with that woman who kidnapped her when she was a toddler.
I'm pretty sure the implication was that she was "kidnapped" by child protective services.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Shem wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 22:00
Jennifer wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 13:42
And Darlene is not in Elliot's life because HER ideal is that she stayed with that woman who kidnapped her when she was a toddler.
I'm pretty sure the implication was that she was "kidnapped" by child protective services.
I've read that on various reddit-theory threads (I don't have a reddit account, though I do lurk on various subreddits), but I tend to doubt that theory because, IIRC, the woman merely grabbed Darlene from an amusement park and, after taking her to a hot dog stand for a meal, took her straight to the home where she spent the night. I don't know precisely how CPS handles emergency "We need to take that young kid away RIGHT NOW" situations, but I'm pretty sure there's more than just one person involved. Like, if you, Shem, are one of those "emergency foster parents" the state will turn to who'll have a kid sleep in your spare bedroom if there's no place else for her to go -- it's still not YOU who picks up the kid from the amusement park; it'll be police or social workers who get the kid, and THEY take her to you. Darlene's experience was the opposite: it was only the woman involved when she was taken, but lots of cops involved to take Darlene back home next day.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Well, it does indicate something that we're over a week after the finale aired with no new posts here ;)

I am glad they didn't make everything 'in Elliot's head' but still somewhat annoyed that they made everything past the Whiterose suicide as 'all in Elliot's head'. Mostly because it robbed the parallel storytelling of Preppy Elliot and Hacker Elliot of any real purpose. The connectedness of say, the broken drink glass in the trashcan, seen from two different points of view makes absolutely no sense for a 'dreamstate' (well, to me at least). Also still not quite getting the psychological purpose of Darlene being eliminated from the Preppy Elliot perfect world, other than to indicate to the audience that 'Hey, yo, this is not real' - which seems a bit too much of a shortcut for a storytelling team that prides itself in both nuance and layers.

I am though overall satisfied with the ending and who 'the third one' was revealed to be. Still, though, a lot more Macguffins and shagy dogs than I figured we would end up with at say, the halfway point of this last season.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Kolohe wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 22:43
Well, it does indicate something that we're over a week after the finale aired with no new posts here ;)
Yup.

It wasn't as bad as the end of Game of Thrones, but still plenty bad on its own. I wanted more information about White Rose's machine -- what happened to make HER think it would work, even though it clearly didn't. If WR was indeed insane, that's some seriously high-functioning insanity. In fact, the idea that anyone that delusional could keep it together well enough to not just get along in a totalitarian society like China, but rise to wealth and power, might be the single most unrealistic aspect of the show.

Shem

Post by Shem »

Kolohe wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 22:43
Also still not quite getting the psychological purpose of Darlene being eliminated from the Preppy Elliot perfect world, other than to indicate to the audience that 'Hey, yo, this is not real' - which seems a bit too much of a shortcut for a storytelling team that prides itself in both nuance and layers.
"Any time you're not sure if what's happening is real, squeeze my hand."

She's his touchstone. If she's there, what's happening is real. Putting her into a fake world is too contrary to his psyche.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Based on the first episode, fans of Mr Robot are likely to enjoy Briarpatch.

Then again, one might argue that Sam Esmail is the poor man's David Lynch.

Shem

Post by Shem »

You're not wrong, though it's a lot more Twin Peaks.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 14:29
You're not wrong, though it's a lot more Twin Peaks.
Yes, it is.