Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Highway »

I just use a soft gel-type case on the back of my Pixel 3. I was mostly just going for something that added a little bit of thickness and grippiness to it, rather than the super slippery glass/metal/plastic. And maybe just a skosh of impact protection.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I probably need to get a new phone in the next 6 months. My Pixel is getting terrible about holding a charge. A little internet browsing will knock 10-20% off the battery.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Andrew wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 17:30 I probably need to get a new phone in the next 6 months. My Pixel is getting terrible about holding a charge. A little internet browsing will knock 10-20% off the battery.
Cow-orker recently got the Pixel 4 and loves it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hugh Akston wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 17:33
Andrew wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 17:30 I probably need to get a new phone in the next 6 months. My Pixel is getting terrible about holding a charge. A little internet browsing will knock 10-20% off the battery.
Those are strong feelings about a phone. I think I want something I can grudgingly tolerate and have vague resentments towards.
Highway

Post by Highway »

So... Anything by Motorola...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

More due to some cross-platform integration than specific brand loyalty, but I just replaced my iPhone 7 with an 11 Pro Max. I can expense it, and I needed a big clear screen to help overcome my reading-glasses-neediness. The rest is fine, but face-ID is actually pretty nice and works pretty seamlessly/intuitively, although I need to figure out how to force it to lock-with-passcode for purposes of get-a-warrant, just on general principles.

But with an OLED screen giving great contrast, and a nice big screen, I often don't need reading glasses for stuff I did need on the 7, and my Galaxy S4 before that.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:30 More due to some cross-platform integration than specific brand loyalty, but I just replaced my iPhone 7 with an 11 Pro Max. I can expense it, and I needed a big clear screen to help overcome my reading-glasses-neediness. The rest is fine, but face-ID is actually pretty nice and works pretty seamlessly/intuitively, although I need to figure out how to force it to lock-with-passcode for purposes of get-a-warrant, just on general principles.

But with an OLED screen giving great contrast, and a nice big screen, I often don't need reading glasses for stuff I did need on the 7, and my Galaxy S4 before that.
1) On iPhone X and later, or iPad with Face ID, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
2) Tap Turn Passcode On.
I'm glad I looked this up, because I'm going to be in the market for a new phone before long, and facial recognition can recognize my dick.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:36
lunchstealer wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:30 More due to some cross-platform integration than specific brand loyalty, but I just replaced my iPhone 7 with an 11 Pro Max. I can expense it, and I needed a big clear screen to help overcome my reading-glasses-neediness. The rest is fine, but face-ID is actually pretty nice and works pretty seamlessly/intuitively, although I need to figure out how to force it to lock-with-passcode for purposes of get-a-warrant, just on general principles.

1) On iPhone X and later, or iPad with Face ID, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
2) Tap Turn Passcode On.
I'm glad I looked this up, because I'm going to be in the market for a new phone before long, and facial recognition can recognize my dick.
Sorry, should clarify. I'm not that scared of using the face ID for day-to-day stuff, but I want to know how to very quickly turn it off temporarily. with the thumbprint unlock on the 7, you could hit the lock button five times in a row and it would immediately lock the phone to require a passcode, so no one can grab your thumb and unlock your phone without your permission.

And I've found it. Side-button-and-a-volume-button for two seconds locks out face id until you enter the passcode again.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

The other thing I'm relieved about is getting back to a fresh battery. My 7 was over three years old and it could usually keep a charge for a day, but not always, and for the last couple of months you could be in the single-digits after a day of moderate use. A long conference call on speaker (I usually need my hands for other stuff during a work call) means it needs a charge before the end of the day.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:51 ...so no one can grab your thumb and unlock your phone without your permission.
I mean... How big is the gap between "grab your thumb" and "I won't tell you my passcode"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 13:02
lunchstealer wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:51 ...so no one can grab your thumb and unlock your phone without your permission.
I mean... How big is the gap between "grab your thumb" and "I won't tell you my passcode"?
Federal courts have been pretty consistent in ruling that you have the right to withhold your passcode from cops, but not your fingerprint.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 13:02
Well if cops have you handcuffed because you snorted at the wrong time, the difference between pressing the phone against your thumb and forcing you to tell the passcode is pretty big. And under current interpretation of the constitution, you can be compelled to put your thumb on a scanner, but cannot be compelled to communicate your passcode.

ETA: Also what Hugh said.

Warren

Post by Warren »

good to know
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hugh Akston wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 17:33
I broke down and ordered one since they're on sale through Google.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Made the switch yesterday from AT&T, which we've all come to hate with a red, hot passion, to Verizon, which we fully expect to feel the same way about, but ten years of AT&T was more than enough to jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

Bought a few new phones (we have six lines for the entire family, my wife having a separate line for work) and now we're in the teeth-pulling stage of getting AT&T to unlock the last of the phones we're keeping so we can replace the sim card and then shut down the AT&T account. You'd think switching servers for a consumer service used by hundreds of millions of people would be fairly straightforward, but I think antebellum slaves had an easier time purchasing their freedom than AT&T customers have telling Ma Bell to go fuck herself.
JD

Post by JD »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 10:27 Made the switch yesterday from AT&T, which we've all come to hate with a red, hot passion, to Verizon, which we fully expect to feel the same way about, but ten years of AT&T was more than enough to jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
Verizon inspires more of a grudging, sullen resentment.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

soooooooo alt-history where this is implemented before USB-C and see what a shitshow mandating micro-USB would be once the Europeans see how much better all the US/Asian/etc USB-C phones are.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 19:39
soooooooo alt-history where this is implemented before USB-C and see what a shitshow mandating micro-USB would be once the Europeans see how much better all the US/Asian/etc USB-C phones are.
SRSLY State mandated technology is like something out of an Ayn Rand novel.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:32
Also that novel is Anthem.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:36
Warren wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:32
Also that novel is Anthem.
Yes. Yes it is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

In "defense" of the regulators, they only say that all phones have to have the same charging port, but not that it has to be the only charging port. Because every phone manufacturer, struggling with parts count, size, and water resistance, is going to add more ports.

Honestly, when you mandate a certain technology, it does provide something of an initial boost through forced standardization, but in the long run it hurts you because the rest of the world will move on and now the standard is holding you back; this is pretty much exactly what happened with Minitel in France: they had, essentially, the interwebs long before anybody else, but long-term it stunted their adoption of the international standard.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Aren't power outlets regulated?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Mo wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 10:19 Aren't power outlets regulated?
They are, I think, although standards actually solidified through industry agreements and market forces.
Despite Hubbell's objections, other manufacturers adopted the Hubbell pattern (omitting Hubbell's detents as these did not affect interchangeability) and by 1915 the use of Hubbell's configuration was widespread. In 1919 Hubbell unsuccessfully attempted to get an injunction to prevent other manufacturers from making receptacles and plugs to the dimensions used by Hubbell.
By 1915, Hubbell had sold about 13 million receptacles and plug bases/caps with tandem slots/pins, and about 1.25 million with parallel slots/pins, most of which were then still in active use, meaning that Hubbell's configurations were by far the most widely used.

Following the lead set by the lamp manufacturers in standardising lamp bases, a conference of the plug and receptacle manufacturers, including Hubbell, was arranged with a view to agreeing a standard configuration. It was a time of great expansion in the use of electrical appliances such as fans, heaters, and cookers, as well as portable devices such as hair curlers and irons, and the public wanted interchangeability. Hubbell's parallel pin configuration was preferred, but Hubbell rebelled against standardization, and refused to agree, asserting that it had common law rights in the dimensions of its line. The other conference members pressed on regardless, and agreed to standardize on Hubbell's parallel flat pin configuration and dimensions. Hubbell's court action only served to confirm the legality of their activities, to the great benefit of the U.S. public.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... nd_sockets)
Mo

Post by Mo »

JD wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 10:47
Mo wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 10:19 Aren't power outlets regulated?
They are, I think, although standards actually solidified through industry agreements and market forces.
You could say the same thing about USB. I deal with something similar to this a lot at work since a lot of what I'm doing is creating new financial APIs and messaging and the teams I lead are on the cutting edge. There's a push and pull between pushing the envelope and doing more with custom messages or being constrained with ISO messages. The former is easier and gives you more flexibility and opportunities for differentiation/innovation, but the latter really helps on sales and adoption.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex