Familiar spirits

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Familiar spirits

Post by Warren » 20 Aug 2018, 15:17

Chewie stop! Stop Chewie. This isn't helping. Save your strength. You have to take care of the Princess now.

ETA
goddamnedstupidphp new page. Fuck it. I'm just leaving it as is.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Aug 2018, 17:13

Chewie is a doggo.

Chewie chews his chewy blue chew thing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Aug 2018, 09:27

I'm confused. Overheard someone talking about their cats and special considerations they had to make regarding diet to prevent overeating. Person said, "she's orange" like that was an obesity diagnosis. Is that a thing or is that weird cat people talk?

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Aug 2018, 09:31

JasonL wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 09:27
I'm confused. Overheard someone talking about their cats and special considerations they had to make regarding diet to prevent overeating. Person said, "she's orange" like that was an obesity diagnosis. Is that a thing or is that weird cat people talk?
It's a thing. I once dated a cat lady. Orange cats will eat themselves to resemble a basketball if permitted.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Aug 2018, 09:38

Yeah, our orange cat is definitely on the heavy side, but we put up with it because our gray cat has previously just not-eaten himself to the verge of liver failure. So we just have food available for them.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Aug 2018, 10:03

Huh.

My two guys, while I’m here:
E7042CFD-EE54-40D8-9125-F45215A463D6.jpeg
E7042CFD-EE54-40D8-9125-F45215A463D6.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 466 times
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Aug 2018, 10:05

Our gray cat with a friend.Image
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Aug 2018, 10:56

I had to send him to live with another family when I moved, but this is Granite:
IMAG1076.jpg
IMAG1076.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 462 times

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2018, 13:37

Biggie pics on the bookface look like he only has one ear? He has 2 ears right?

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Aug 2018, 13:44

JasonL wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 13:37
Biggie pics on the bookface look like he only has one ear? He has 2 ears right?
He does have two ears, but one of them is "broken" -- you can see it better here...
walking.jpg
walking.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 436 times
It's permanently folded over with the cartilage messed up like cauliflower ear. We don't know how of course.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2018, 13:46

Ahh! I see.

JD

Post by JD » 10 Oct 2018, 12:00

So we have a dog now, at least temporarily. We are keeping her for a few days, then she has to go back to get spayed while we're out of town, and after that we make a final call on whether we keep her.

She's a Corgi/Pekingese cross, we think - she's got the short legs of both, with kind of the thick body of a corgi, a snout somewhat like a corgi's, but with the high forehead of a pekingese - and about 13 pounds, with just a hint of an underbite. She's pretty laid-back, walks well on the leash, and is well-behaved so far. We're calling her Lola.

We introduced the animals yesterday evening (with Lola on her leash tied to a doorknob, so she had a limited range and the cats could approach or flee as they chose) and the cats were not fans. Max arched his back, hissed, and growled, which is behavior we almost never see from him. Fury was less demonstrative but was also clearly on high alert, and at one point when we walked Lola around the apartment on the leash, Fury, who'd been lurking behind a fan, took a swipe at Lola's nose when Lola came around the corner. Lola, for her part, showed virtually no interest in the cats. We'd been told she was good with cats, and she'd been living in a house with a cat, so that was not much of a surprise. The cats did eventually calm down a bit; Max decided to mostly ignore Lola as long as Lola was sitting quietly, although Fury kept staring at Lola with a WHAT THE HELL IS IT? expression.
lola_at_work_resized_small.jpg
lola_at_work_resized_small.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 339 times
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Oct 2018, 18:16

She is lovely and I hope the cats are okay with it.

What's her level of trained-ness?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Oct 2018, 04:41

DOGGEH!

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2018, 12:42

nicole wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 18:16
She is lovely and I hope the cats are okay with it.

What's her level of trained-ness?
Here and there. She sits on command and is pretty good about taking orders generally, at least from me: last night she twice tried to eat something on the sidewalk but when I said DROP IT she did, and this morning she started reaching for a garbage bag we had hanging up in the kitchen, but when I said DOWN damned if she didn't get down right away. Overall she seems fairly well-adjusted and well-behaved. She isn't destructive, doesn't harass the cats, isn't interested in the litterbox, sleeps quietly at night, etc.

On the other hand, there are some negatives. She is less housebroken than I was led to believe. She doesn't like to do her functions outside (although she will and has on occasion) but prefers to use a pad inside. That's not something I am cool with. Also, yesterday evening she started getting agitated and rambunctious for no apparent reason, and snapped at a few people on the sidewalk.

However, the cats remain unhappy. They don't care too much as long as she stays quietly away from them, but they seriously dislike being approached at all. Both of them have hissed at Lola and lunged and swiped at her, and Max is proving more territorial than we'd envisioned. (He is, BTW, totally fine with people and with Fury.) Max likes to hang out in a place that makes it difficult to reach the kitchen, bathroom, or front door without coming within a yard of him, so it's hard for Lola to get by if he's there. It's not a new spot for Max, he's always liked it, but he seems to be doing it in an especially assertive way now. Thankfully, Lola seems not aggressive at all and to want no confrontation with them, but we're worried about the effects of the stress on all of them (including us) - it obviously agitates the cats, and then Lola gets harassed, and we have to deal with that. That seems like the main problem. I just don't know if the cats will get over it, or if it would be a permanent thing, and unfortunately we only have a few days to decide.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Oct 2018, 10:11

Tony is sick. He seemed off Friday, out-of-sorts Saturday, then lethargic Sunday. He wouldn't eat and was weak, so I took him to the emergency vet.

He turned out to have pretty severe anemia and dehydration. He might have had a recurrence of mycoplasma infection. He's still very anemic, but doing somewhat better this morning after IV and antibiotics, and he is now at the regular vet. He had noticeably more energy to yowl at me from the carrier, which was encouraging. He also head-butted the shit out of my fingers when I could spare the hand to push them through the carrier gate.

I did not sleep last night, going for impromptu dayshifting so I could transfer him this morning.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 15 Oct 2018, 13:49

Sorry to hear about Tony, Eric. If he's feeling a bit better on antibiotics, hopefully that's a good sign that it's fixable.

On our side, we eventually made the decision not to keep Lola. The cats were getting more confident in a bad way - more assertive and aggressive - and Lola was starting to get more agitated. It's too bad, because she was really a sweet dog, but the situation was just not right. We're sad, but she is a beautiful, good-natured, healthy young dog, and we know that there were other people interested in her, so I think she will have no trouble finding a home.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2018, 05:23

I continued to run around yesterday getting Tony to a third vet, one that could support cross-testing feline blood, since he will likely need a transfusion due to his anemia.

Got to at least spend a little time with him out of the carrier at the third vet, which helped both our moods. He was palpably better than he was Sunday, steadier, stronger, and less uncomfortable. I just hope this works out; my money is finite, and money isn't the only factor.

(Note: I really shouldn't drive at 24 hours without sleep. That was not fun, coming home. I just couldn't get any sleep between calls and driving.)
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Oct 2018, 10:08

Oh man, best wishes for kitteh, Eric.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Oct 2018, 16:18

comfort and healing for kittehs.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2018, 17:20

Best wishes to you with your cat, Eric.

And sorry it didn't work out with the pup, JD.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2018, 20:10

Thanks for all the kind wishes.

Downs and then ups today for Tony. Initial tests suggested he was going to have an adverse reaction to all the blood of his type that they had available. We were looking at taking him to yet another clinic to have them cross-check the blood here, though I didn't like the odds (they'd tested 5 units of blood here, and they had only 2 more there). Alternately, they could use dog blood (which is apparently a thing that works at least once for cats, and was used before cat blood donation was fully worked out).

Then, the pathologist detected that his red blood cells were getting agglutinated—attacked by his own immune system. So, he wasn't actually in special danger of reacting badly to a transfusion, and he probably didn't actually have an infection in the first place, but instead an auto-immune reaction. This is apparently a little weird in cats. The course of treatment there is an increase of the steroids they're already giving him in order to suppress his immune system, then tapering off the steroids to see if he'll recover normal function over the course of a few months. He's an indoor cat, so he should be fine even while he's immunocompromised.

I went and visited him today before the transfusion. Now, they've called me to confirm that it went well and he had no reactions. Fucking finally, something went right for him.

More information when I have it.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2018, 17:43

Tony is now safely home. He's energetic, comfortable, affectionate, and hungry. and he gets to have tapering doses of drugs for the next 60 days or so.

And I am so damn worn out after this week.

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Oct 2018, 17:54

That sounds like a good outcome so far! Best wishes to you both.

JD

Post by JD » 24 Oct 2018, 12:56

Good to hear, Eric! Here's hoping he continues to do well.

Over here, Max has never really been much of a cat for playing with toys; every now and then he would do it a little if he thought nobody was looking, but he'd stop if there was anyone else around. But he's been relaxing more lately and just this morning he was jumping and playing with a toy mouse like I've never seen him do before. His missing leg hampers his mobility a little, which may make him more restrained, and also whenever Fury sees him playing, she runs over and wants to play too, and he just backs away. But he definitely is playing more these days.

The funny thing is that he only backs away when it comes to playing with toys, otherwise he stands up for himself. The other night, we were all in bed, with Max lying there at the foot of the bed, and Fury just walked over to him and bopped him in the face for no particular reason. He responded by jumping up and biting her in the ear and not letting go.