Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2018, 23:13

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 00:55
wait do most dads know who wilco is?
No, but most Wilco fans are probably Gen X and thus fairly likely to be parents now.

(Mothers are excluded for the sake of the "Dad rock" meme.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Jul 2018, 07:40

I'm not sure there are female wilco fans.

The mom rock equivalent of wilco? I'm going to go out on a limb and say radiohead.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Jul 2018, 08:03

dhex wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 07:40

The mom rock equivalent of wilco? I'm going to go out on a limb and say radiohead.
Sometimes the spouse/partner gets on board

I was first exposed to Wilco when my bff's parents started obsessively watching I Am Trying to Break Your Heart one summer...like every time I went to her house to chill after dinner they were watching it. Wendy was into it. She was more likely to still be awake.

And shortly thereafter when I met Dubs Wilco was basically the ONLY music he listened to (he doesn't really listen to music, it's fucked up) and I got pretty into it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2018, 10:54

Is Wilco mostly a meta musical experience like I dunno the Dead or something where it isn't actually more than 50% about music? I have this sense from having had maybe 4-5 rando conversations with the Wilco invested fan here and there over the years.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Jul 2018, 11:04

The only "wilco" I'm familiar with follows Roger and is short for "will comply".
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 Jul 2018, 16:27

dhex wrote:

I'm pretty sure that has to updated generational to Coldplay by now.

(There's a car commercial in heavy rotation, that indicates we may be in yet another generation by now, and the answer has become One Republic. Though the Adam Levine / Blake Shelton Bromance musicverse still also seems to be going strong)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Jul 2018, 16:31

Kolohe wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 16:27
dhex wrote:

I'm pretty sure that has to updated generational to Coldplay by now.

(There's a car commercial in heavy rotation, that indicates we may be in yet another generation by now, and the answer has become One Republic. Though the Adam Levine / Blake Shelton Bromance musicverse still also seems to be going strong)
I am glad I can't remember any songs by these bands except for the part in "Karma Police" where he sings "Karma Police" and a part in what I am pretty sure is a Coldplay song where he mumbles.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2018, 16:36

A pretty great Scott Hutchison acoustic set about a year before he killed himself. 2:38 Footshooter and 28:04 Square 9 are really solid. He seemed like a really nice guy.

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Jul 2018, 18:03

JasonL wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:54
Is Wilco mostly a meta musical experience like I dunno the Dead or something where it isn't actually more than 50% about music? I have this sense from having had maybe 4-5 rando conversations with the Wilco invested fan here and there over the years.
No I would extremely not say that. The movie is kind of a thing but really they have a bunch of albums and for sure the Wilco fans I know have spent most of their Wilco time just listening to those.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Aug 2018, 11:34

This guy rules:

Also he wrote two hits from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Yesterday, 22:03

Cracker/Camper von Beethoven are playing a small venue next Saturday. For whatever reason, I didn't see them in 2013 when they played that same venue. I might have to fix that.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Yesterday, 22:05

Yay, you should go! I saw them, gosh, maybe 14 years ago at a tiny venue in Knoxville. They didn't play "Eurotrash Girl" but they did a good show anyway :)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Today, 00:15

This song is basically both 99% of the reason I want to name this fetus Carlotta and the reason David doesn't. :-/

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/qm9lmbug8F4
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » Today, 11:24

It’s a “Heartache Tonight” for Michael Jackson fans: The Eagles’ “Greatest Hits 1971-1975” album has surpassed Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” to become the No. 1-selling album of all time, per the AP.

The Eagles album, which was released in 1976, is now 38x platinum — that’s five times more than “Thriller.” Why such a wide gap? The last time RIAA tallied sales for “Greatest Hits 1971-1975” was in 2006, when it came up with 29x platinum, per the Associated Press. Sales and streams for “Thriller” were last updated last year.

“We are grateful for our families, our management, our crew, the people at radio and, most of all, the loyal fans who have stuck with us through the ups and downs of 46 years. It’s been quite a ride,” Eagles frontman Don Henley said in a statement.

Henley & Co.’s “Hotel California” is now the third top-selling album ever at 26x platinum.
https://www.thewrap.com/the-eagles-grea ... er-record/

:lol: :lol: :lol: