Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2018, 15:46

While the median version of single person RPG isn't all that great, my all time games list is dominated by them. Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Skyrim (okay less narrative but still), Divinity OS 2, Fallout 2 and 3 (New Vegas), and on and on.

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3654
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Video Games!

Post by Painboy » 12 Jun 2018, 19:21

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 15:46
While the median version of single person RPG isn't all that great, my all time games list is dominated by them. Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Skyrim (okay less narrative but still), Divinity OS 2, Fallout 2 and 3 (New Vegas), and on and on.
The problem with Fallout is that it's packed so many features in it over the years that in order to satisfy a larger range of players they have to branch it off into different types of games. There are players who like role playing stuff, while others just like shooting things, while others like building things, and so on. You can't just keep jamming all that stuff into one game without watering everything down.

Fallout 76 sounds like an attempt to branch off into a game type that doesn't play nice with the normal single player experience. Ultimately it may be a good thing as it would allow the next Fallout to become a more focused single player experience without a lot of other stuff tacked on.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7133
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Video Games!

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 00:22

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:23
Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?
No. The answer is no.
Jasper wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:16
I can't quite agree enough to subscribe. I think the backlash against Fallout 76 being multiplayer is mainly because the franchise has been SP up until this point. The complainers aren't really arguing about lack of SP RPGs, they're complaining that Fallout 76 isn't going to be one.

I'm disappointed it won't have a SP campaign to play, but to rend garments that there are no SP RPGs on the horizon is absurd.
In the case of Fallout, I think it has less to do with the lack of single player as such, and more to do with the fact that the story of Bethesda is the story of a company that has been gradually removing the RPG elements from their flagship RPGs in order to load up on low effort radiant quests and gimmicky crap like settlements and voiced protagonists. Not to be That Guy, but compare something like Fallout 2 (which you could play a dozen times and still see new aspects of the story) to Fallout 4 (which I played once and, while I enjoyed the game, felt no reason to go back for another playthrough). You can't roleplay if your character comes into the game with a set background, and his options are "agreeable," "sarcastic but agreeable," and "refuse then do it anyway." You can have a good game (and Fallout 4 *was* a good game) but it's not an RPG. Add to this a heavy dose of "we suspect this is a cash grab so you can experiment with new online features while making money off fans that'll buy any damn thing," and the fact that they've spent 7 years focusing on TES:O while releasing Skyrim literally 4 times, and it all starts to feel more than a little exploitative.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8930
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Video Games!

Post by nicole » 13 Jun 2018, 00:31

Yes.

Of course, when dubs heard the special limited edition was going to come with a power armor helmet, he was like fuck I'm going to buy it anyway fuck fuck fuck.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7133
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Video Games!

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 00:34

Painboy wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 19:21
JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 15:46
While the median version of single person RPG isn't all that great, my all time games list is dominated by them. Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Skyrim (okay less narrative but still), Divinity OS 2, Fallout 2 and 3 (New Vegas), and on and on.
The problem with Fallout is that it's packed so many features in it over the years that in order to satisfy a larger range of players they have to branch it off into different types of games. There are players who like role playing stuff, while others just like shooting things, while others like building things, and so on. You can't just keep jamming all that stuff into one game without watering everything down.

Fallout 76 sounds like an attempt to branch off into a game type that doesn't play nice with the normal single player experience. Ultimately it may be a good thing as it would allow the next Fallout to become a more focused single player experience without a lot of other stuff tacked on.
I don't think that's it, precisely. I think the problem was that Fallout 2 was one of the greatest video games of all time, and Bethesda has spent the time since trying to catch that lightning in the bottle again without losing anyone along the way. Ironically, the most "Fallout" game since Fallout 2 wasn't even made by them, and that's not a coincidence. They need new blood, because the retreads are getting old. The same thing happened in TES with Morrowind, which wasn't as good as Fallout 2, but did set the formula that subsequent TES games would follow. And, it's a great formula! But it gets a little less great with each retread.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 09:11

I've found the big TES games prior to Skyrim nearly unplayable because of the stupid leveling system they started in Morrowind That thing where your life is forever crippled as a fighter because you forgot to pick 2 more locks and eat some swamp trash before swinging your sword again. I mean - who ever thought that made sense.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15363
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2018, 09:15

Cdprojekt could announce a game that kicks you in the crotch every time you right click and I'd still be looking forward to it.

J, did you check out tides of numenera? Name is dumb but game is good.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 09:18

I haven't checked it out. I thought there might be too many call backs to games I haven't played. I've done exactly 0 Torment/planescape things.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15363
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2018, 10:38

Then I'd say it's worth a peep on sale.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15363
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2018, 11:18

All the console peasants complaining about cp2077 being first person should be forced to play stalker, then have their houses burned down.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 11:19

Ahahaa yes.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7133
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Video Games!

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 11:31

dhex wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:15
Cdprojekt could announce a game that kicks you in the crotch every time you right click and I'd still be looking forward to it.
What about a game where you go around collecting cards with drawings of naked women on them when you claw machine your way into the correct encounter?

...Oh wait, they already made that one.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman
Posts: 6221
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Video Games!

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jun 2018, 12:10

It really bothers me that CDPR put so much effort into features and story and forgot to give Geralt more than two fighting animations. Weak. Strong. Doesn't matter what weapon you have. Weak attack. Strong attack. Roll. Never changes. I only got 1/3 way through W3 before I was bored by the fighting. It's a shame for a game that's so focused on setting up cool encounters with interesting enemies, sufficient story for even mini bosses etc, to then have combat become so uninteresting.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22835
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Video Games!

Post by Mo » 13 Jun 2018, 14:33

nicole wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:36
JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:23
Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?
My household would like a newsletter subscription please
One more please.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15363
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2018, 15:03

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:31
dhex wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:15
Cdprojekt could announce a game that kicks you in the crotch every time you right click and I'd still be looking forward to it.
What about a game where you go around collecting cards with drawings of naked women on them when you claw machine your way into the correct encounter?

...Oh wait, they already made that one.
The Witcher series was so strong overall that the potato hangover from the first one is a bare memory at this point. W3 was one of my Favs of all time.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17139
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Video Games!

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jun 2018, 15:49

Mo wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 14:33
nicole wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:36
JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:23
Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?
My household would like a newsletter subscription please
One more please.
I for one look forward to being nuked by racist 12-year-olds who buy power armor with their parents' credit cards.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3654
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Video Games!

Post by Painboy » 13 Jun 2018, 16:26

Just in case people had not heard Dark Souls: Remastered came out a little while ago. Vets won't get much from it other than some quality of life changes but those new to it at least won't have to run mods just to make it playable. I understand they even added solid KBAM support so the controller deficient aren't left out anymore.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6544
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Video Games!

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Jun 2018, 17:05

Jumped back on world of tanks for looksy. Haven't played in a long while. Promptly got hatemail in less than 10 games.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6721
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Video Games!

Post by Jadagul » 13 Jun 2018, 19:06

Mo wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 14:33
nicole wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:36
JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:23
Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?
My household would like a newsletter subscription please
One more please.
I would cosign this, except I'm so behind that I'm still working my way through games released in 1999.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2828
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Video Games!

Post by Jasper » 14 Jun 2018, 13:14

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 00:22
JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:23
Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?
No. The answer is no.
Jasper wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:16
I can't quite agree enough to subscribe. I think the backlash against Fallout 76 being multiplayer is mainly because the franchise has been SP up until this point. The complainers aren't really arguing about lack of SP RPGs, they're complaining that Fallout 76 isn't going to be one.

I'm disappointed it won't have a SP campaign to play, but to rend garments that there are no SP RPGs on the horizon is absurd.
In the case of Fallout, I think it has less to do with the lack of single player as such, and more to do with the fact that the story of Bethesda is the story of a company that has been gradually removing the RPG elements from their flagship RPGs in order to load up on low effort radiant quests and gimmicky crap like settlements and voiced protagonists. Not to be That Guy, but compare something like Fallout 2 (which you could play a dozen times and still see new aspects of the story) to Fallout 4 (which I played once and, while I enjoyed the game, felt no reason to go back for another playthrough). You can't roleplay if your character comes into the game with a set background, and his options are "agreeable," "sarcastic but agreeable," and "refuse then do it anyway." You can have a good game (and Fallout 4 *was* a good game) but it's not an RPG. Add to this a heavy dose of "we suspect this is a cash grab so you can experiment with new online features while making money off fans that'll buy any damn thing," and the fact that they've spent 7 years focusing on TES:O while releasing Skyrim literally 4 times, and it all starts to feel more than a little exploitative.
While your criticisms of Bethesda make sense, my point is that there are still good cRPGs to be found.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 14 Jun 2018, 13:27

Speaking of unfair cash grabs - doing medium tonnage rated missions with assault mechs is pretty gratifying as cash grabs go. Oh no 2 shadow hawks appear on the flank of my Highlander w/ gauss rifle!

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7133
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Video Games!

Post by Shem » 14 Jun 2018, 13:38

Jasper wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:14
While your criticisms of Bethesda make sense, my point is that there are still good cRPGs to be found.
Ah, I thought you were speaking specifically of Bethesda games.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10270
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Video Games!

Post by JD » 21 Jun 2018, 13:21

I sometimes badmouth Brownsville, and I don't know how successful a game this will be, but I appreciate the effort: https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/21/fir ... r-project/
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman
Posts: 6221
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Video Games!

Post by Dangerman » 21 Jun 2018, 14:02

That's half of the plot from Spook Country.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2018, 14:39

I feel like a thousand year old man trying to get discord set up to work with a sometimes group of overwatch players. The app has friends, but there's also dedicated servers, but the app doesn't show the server info after you accept a server invite, does the server matter, i dunno.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests