What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Postby dhex » 13 Jan 2017, 09:34

e
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I will always be baffled by the overlap between libertarians and NASA fanboys.

Libertarians like sci-fi. Sci-fi stories often happen in space. NASA does space exploration.

And Kevin Bacon was in Apollo 13.

Is that what NASA does? I thought they just loaded money onto rockets and shot it into orbit.

cool factor trumps ideology. always. and early childhood experiences, as evidenced in this thread.

in the wider world of h+r conservatarians, and especially for the neoconfed-leaning types, they're blasting the money as far away from the jews and the blacks as possible.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh
dhex

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 20 Jan 2017, 20:45

The Founder is better than most movies released this time of year and, I think, saved by Keaton's performance. I'm a Keaton fan, so you might want to ratchet that criterion down a bit if you're not. Somewhere in the C+ to B- range.
D.A. Ridgely

Postby Warren » 20 Jan 2017, 20:49

D.A. Ridgely wrote:The Founder is better than most movies released this time of year and, I think, saved by Keaton's performance. I'm a Keaton fan, so you might want to ratchet that criterion down a bit if you're not. Somewhere in the C+ to B- range.

Have been looking forward to this one. I like Keaton too. He owns Dogberry.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Postby JD » 03 Mar 2017, 11:11

I saw Get Out last night. Highly recommended. I was a little skeptical when I saw that Jordan Peele was making a horror movie, but it's really good. Some people have called it a horror-comedy, and there definitely are strong comedic elements, but it works because of the horror story.

(One silly nitpick: if you're going to kidnap people off the street and drag them into your car to take them away, a Porsche coupe seems like a really bad choice of vehicle...)
JD

Postby Hugh Akston » 03 Mar 2017, 22:25

That shit was bleak though
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul
Hugh Akston

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 03 Mar 2017, 23:49

Yeah, Logan is probably the best serious superhero movie since maybe forever. And the kid deserves an Academy nomination.
D.A. Ridgely

Postby Aresen » 03 Mar 2017, 23:51

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Yeah, Logan is probably the best serious superhero movie since maybe forever. And the kid deserves an Academy nomination.

I was just checking this thread to see if any of the gryll had seen it yet. With a Ridgely endorsement, I will add it to my 'go' list.
we'll never actually exterminate the poor, because they wouldn't be able to pay for the Blackwater contractors that would have to be hired to hunt them. – thoreau

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo
Aresen

Postby lunchstealer » 08 Mar 2017, 02:49

I didn't love it. I mean, I enjoyed Professor X in zero fucks mode, and Stephen Merchant did well, but overall it was just a particularly violent road movie with unclear motivations for everyone.

Also with Richard E Grant as Dr. Rice, I couldn't help thinking Boyd should be played by Sandra Bernhart, and that was distracting.
The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word.
-- Sandy

Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!
-- JasonL
lunchstealer

Postby thoreau » 15 Mar 2017, 17:27

Saw Get Out last night. It was a lot of fun, and they did a great job of firing Chekhov's many rifles.

For about the first half it seems like it's trying to be An Important Movie About Race, but it becomes clear that the concept isn't actually meant to be taken seriously enough to be Important. Yeah, they definitely use race and white liberals for their concept, but they ultimately want to have fun with the concept rather than Send A Message.
"The Syrian airstrike = Operation Theranos. An expensive pinprick, hyped by clueless & derided by experts, whose failure means more blood."
--Somebody on Twitter
thoreau

Postby lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2017, 15:40

A Cracked reviewer feels let down by the gayness in Beauty and the Beast.

I ended up seeing it as part of the marital bargain. Probably pretty good as these things go, but I have difficulty appreciating musical theater. I had seen it a couple years ago in the touring production of the live show. Some of the numbers benefited from some truly lux visuals, in other cases they distracted and made things harder to follow.

And yeah, really should've been gayer.
The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word.
-- Sandy

Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!
-- JasonL
lunchstealer

Postby JasonL » 20 Mar 2017, 16:25

I have a friend who felt that way about Doc Strange.
JasonL

Postby Hugh Akston » 31 Mar 2017, 19:46

Ghost in the Shell was plodding, sterile, CGI garbage with nothing interesting to say.
Hugh Akston

Postby JasonL » 31 Mar 2017, 19:51

I have a sad.
JasonL

Postby dbcooper » 31 Mar 2017, 19:59

How was it ever going to be not terrible?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Postby Painboy » 31 Mar 2017, 21:34

Yeah I watched the first 5 minutes they released a couple days ago. It was the same first scene in the anime movie, except that it was much less exciting despite obviously costing a far larger amount of money.
Painboy

Postby dbcooper » 31 Mar 2017, 21:36

Hopefully this will kill any plans to remake Akira, he says desperately.
dbcooper

Postby Hugh Akston » 01 Apr 2017, 04:22

Yeah the odds were never good, but every once in a while that kind of movie transcends genre conventions and turns out to be something great. But I could tell within the first ten minutes that it was going to suuuuck.
Hugh Akston

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 05 May 2017, 21:09

Guardians of the Galaxy II gets around a B, maybe B+ at best and I could see many here giving it a much lower grade. Lots of good chemistry and humor in the first half but then it goes off the rails with a near-endless battle scene which, let's face it, unless your name is Michael Bay, you're probably bored with after five or ten minutes, max.
D.A. Ridgely

Postby Hugh Akston » 19 May 2017, 20:57

Covenant was better than Prometheus, though that's an admittedly low bar to clear. Some great shots reminding us that Ridley Scott is a masterful visual artist, if not always a great storyteller. But on the plus side, the plot was not driven by stupidity, and people actually made some good decisions (hey, let's seal some hatches behind us!). The ending would have been much better if handled more subtly, but Ridley and subtlety haven't spoken for years. Overall it was okay as an action movie, but not something I will need to see again.

BTW I was wrong about there being nothing new to say about the Aliens universe. This movie did present an interesting twist on it, and one that resonates with some of Ridley's big themes. Whether it needed that twist is an open question.
Hugh Akston

Postby dbcooper » 19 May 2017, 21:22

How was Kenny Powers?
dbcooper

Postby Hugh Akston » 19 May 2017, 22:05

I haven't seen much of his work because I don't really care for him, but I don't think this was a typical McBride performance.

EDIT: Besides which, most of his screentime was in two-shots with Callie Hernandez, so I wasn't really paying attention to him.
Hugh Akston

Postby JD » 22 May 2017, 14:13

Hugh Akston wrote:Covenant was better than Prometheus, though that's an admittedly low bar to clear.

Agreed. It looked beautiful, and for the most part it was very well-done. I think there was still a bit of "stupid people doing stupid things", but not too bad. For the (presumably) chosen and trained crew of an interstellar spacecraft, they sure seemed emotional and panicky. But there was a nice blend of squick horror and more intellectual horror in the movie.
JD

Previous

Return to The Joys of Life