It's all good man!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.

Re: It's all good man!

Postby JasonL » 26 Apr 2017, 12:58

The whole Saul arc is starting to feel too much like slow drain swirling, which was always the danger of the concept. I just want a Mike show.
JasonL

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 26 Apr 2017, 13:02

JasonL wrote:The whole Saul arc is starting to feel too much like slow drain swirling, which was always the danger of the concept. I just want a Mike show.

But we know how that one ends.

D.A. Ridgely

Postby JasonL » 26 Apr 2017, 13:05

We do. The arc is not as specified though.
JasonL

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 26 Apr 2017, 13:13

JasonL wrote:We do. The arc is not as specified though.

We can make an educated guess, though, that Mike's life and work remain more or less the same by the time he enters the Breaking Bad picture.

I think people were set on Better Call Saul being either a comedy or an adventure series or both and it clearly is neither. I have no problem with the plot developing slowly since, after all, we do know where that story arc goes eventually. And it looks at least for now like Jimmy has finally, at long last written off his brother for the manipulative, jealous, insecure asshole he clearly is. I'd have taken a baseball bat to the guy's head long, long ago. Faraday Cage, my ass! Let's talk Batting Cage, Chuck!
D.A. Ridgely

Postby Warren » 26 Apr 2017, 14:00

Kim's arc is interesting, and we don't where it goes. This week was a good one for her, plus points for "sunk cost fallacy". I want to see her take Chuck down in court. After all, he climbed out of his neurosis hole just to take her client. Which if he hadn't done, Jimmy wouldn't have needed to sabotage him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Postby Warren » 09 May 2017, 23:37

Chuck's (now ex) wife is back. Hooray. We now know they got divorced as opposed to her dying. We don't know why they got divorced, but I have a feeling the answer to that question is relevant to the story.

No Mike this week, instead we spend the whole episode on Jimmy. Which I don't object to in principal as at this point Jimmy's story is the more engrossing one. But they drug out the hearing, and in the end the payoff was unsatisfying. Chuck should get credit for the assist. He might have held it together enough not to start volunteering testimony on cross (which an experienced and expert lawyer should be so drilled in, a case of Cutty Sark wouldn't shake it out of him), in which case I think his breakdown could have been avoided. The previous episodes' buildup led me to think Kim was putting something legal together and was going to out lawyer him.

Speaking of Chuck's ex Rebecca. When exactly did that near reconciliation dinner take place? Certainly not in the days leading up to the hearing. Was it prior to the first season?

And as the credits are rolling the last thing we hear is Bob Odenkirk speak the name "Saul Goodman". It's about time!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 10 May 2017, 00:09

Warren wrote:Chuck's (now ex) wife is back. Hooray. We now know they got divorced as opposed to her dying. We don't know why they got divorced, but I have a feeling the answer to that question is relevant to the story.

No Mike this week, instead we spend the whole episode on Jimmy. Which I don't object to in principal as at this point Jimmy's story is the more engrossing one. But they drug out the hearing, and in the end the payoff was unsatisfying. Chuck should get credit for the assist. He might have held it together enough not to start volunteering testimony on cross (which an experienced and expert lawyer should be so drilled in, a case of Cutty Sark wouldn't shake it out of him), in which case I think his breakdown could have been avoided. The previous episodes' buildup led me to think Kim was putting something legal together and was going to out lawyer him.

Speaking of Chuck's ex Rebecca. When exactly did that near reconciliation dinner take place? Certainly not in the days leading up to the hearing. Was it prior to the first season?

And as the credits are rolling the last thing we hear is Bob Odenkirk speak the name "Saul Goodman". It's about time!

The notion that lawyers can follow the advice they give clients is as flawed as the notion that doctors can follow the advice they give patients.
D.A. Ridgely

Postby Warren » 10 May 2017, 01:36

point taken
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Postby Andrew » 12 May 2017, 22:15

I'm a season behind since I don't have AMC, but season 2 is pretty solid so far (3 episodes in). The legal stuff doesn't make me cringe (whoever they have doing consulting for some of the legal stuff must be good and have an actual sense of humor), I enjoy watching Bob Odenkirk act, and the Mike stuff is a refreshing tonal change from the Jimmy storyline.

Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go, but otherwise I don't have any major complaints.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch
Andrew

Postby Warren » 13 May 2017, 00:34

Andrew wrote:Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go

Bwa? No no. Kim is an asset, don't write her off yet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Postby Warren » 17 May 2017, 12:11

Okay, my hate for Hector is reaching new highs. He's exceeding my already high expectations as evil fuck.

On the 'We know where this is going' front:
I can't wait for Hector to get in the chair and lose his voice. I'm hoping it will be as satisfying as Joffrey's death.
Hooray for Saul Goodman finally showing up. The look on Kim's face, priceless.
Speaking of Kim, she's got to go at some point. Becoming disgusted with Saul would make a strong narrative arc. Sooner or later everybody figures out that deep down, Jimmy really is an a-hole.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Postby MJGreen » 19 May 2017, 16:13

Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go

You may change your mind in a few episodes. I don't think I was fully on board the Kim train until an episode in the middle of season 2, and now her story is the one I'm most invested in (ie how Jimmy will totally fuck up her life).

The show's in an interesting place right now in terms of the big picture. It feels like Mike and Jimmy are more rapidly approaching their BB timeline, but the side characters' stories are only now kicking into gear. Chuck is trying to rehabilitate, Kim's on the rise, and the other shoe has to drop at some point with Mike's daughter-in-law. I wonder if the two leads are going to be less essential to much of the rest of the story.
"This addibility of the happiness of different subjects, however, when considered rigorously, it may appear fictitious, is a postulatum without the allowance of which all political reasoning is at a stand." - Jeremy Bentham
MJGreen

Postby Andrew » 20 May 2017, 11:55

MJGreen wrote:
Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go

You may change your mind in a few episodes. I don't think I was fully on board the Kim train until an episode in the middle of season 2, and now her story is the one I'm most invested in (ie how Jimmy will totally fuck up her life).

I have changed my mind. They moved away from the "Kim freaks out over something questionable Jimmy does" that they had for 3 episodes in a row and have decided to treat her like an actual character.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch
Andrew

Previous

Return to The Joys of Life