It's all good man!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: It's all good man!

Post by JasonL » 26 Apr 2017, 13:58

The whole Saul arc is starting to feel too much like slow drain swirling, which was always the danger of the concept. I just want a Mike show.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 Apr 2017, 14:02

JasonL wrote:The whole Saul arc is starting to feel too much like slow drain swirling, which was always the danger of the concept. I just want a Mike show.
But we know how that one ends.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Apr 2017, 14:05

We do. The arc is not as specified though.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 Apr 2017, 14:13

JasonL wrote:We do. The arc is not as specified though.
We can make an educated guess, though, that Mike's life and work remain more or less the same by the time he enters the Breaking Bad picture.

I think people were set on Better Call Saul being either a comedy or an adventure series or both and it clearly is neither. I have no problem with the plot developing slowly since, after all, we do know where that story arc goes eventually. And it looks at least for now like Jimmy has finally, at long last written off his brother for the manipulative, jealous, insecure asshole he clearly is. I'd have taken a baseball bat to the guy's head long, long ago. Faraday Cage, my ass! Let's talk Batting Cage, Chuck!

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Apr 2017, 15:00

Kim's arc is interesting, and we don't where it goes. This week was a good one for her, plus points for "sunk cost fallacy". I want to see her take Chuck down in court. After all, he climbed out of his neurosis hole just to take her client. Which if he hadn't done, Jimmy wouldn't have needed to sabotage him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 May 2017, 00:37

Chuck's (now ex) wife is back. Hooray. We now know they got divorced as opposed to her dying. We don't know why they got divorced, but I have a feeling the answer to that question is relevant to the story.

No Mike this week, instead we spend the whole episode on Jimmy. Which I don't object to in principal as at this point Jimmy's story is the more engrossing one. But they drug out the hearing, and in the end the payoff was unsatisfying. Chuck should get credit for the assist. He might have held it together enough not to start volunteering testimony on cross (which an experienced and expert lawyer should be so drilled in, a case of Cutty Sark wouldn't shake it out of him), in which case I think his breakdown could have been avoided. The previous episodes' buildup led me to think Kim was putting something legal together and was going to out lawyer him.

Speaking of Chuck's ex Rebecca. When exactly did that near reconciliation dinner take place? Certainly not in the days leading up to the hearing. Was it prior to the first season?

And as the credits are rolling the last thing we hear is Bob Odenkirk speak the name "Saul Goodman". It's about time!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 May 2017, 01:09

Warren wrote:Chuck's (now ex) wife is back. Hooray. We now know they got divorced as opposed to her dying. We don't know why they got divorced, but I have a feeling the answer to that question is relevant to the story.

No Mike this week, instead we spend the whole episode on Jimmy. Which I don't object to in principal as at this point Jimmy's story is the more engrossing one. But they drug out the hearing, and in the end the payoff was unsatisfying. Chuck should get credit for the assist. He might have held it together enough not to start volunteering testimony on cross (which an experienced and expert lawyer should be so drilled in, a case of Cutty Sark wouldn't shake it out of him), in which case I think his breakdown could have been avoided. The previous episodes' buildup led me to think Kim was putting something legal together and was going to out lawyer him.

Speaking of Chuck's ex Rebecca. When exactly did that near reconciliation dinner take place? Certainly not in the days leading up to the hearing. Was it prior to the first season?

And as the credits are rolling the last thing we hear is Bob Odenkirk speak the name "Saul Goodman". It's about time!
The notion that lawyers can follow the advice they give clients is as flawed as the notion that doctors can follow the advice they give patients.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 May 2017, 02:36

point taken
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 May 2017, 23:15

I'm a season behind since I don't have AMC, but season 2 is pretty solid so far (3 episodes in). The legal stuff doesn't make me cringe (whoever they have doing consulting for some of the legal stuff must be good and have an actual sense of humor), I enjoy watching Bob Odenkirk act, and the Mike stuff is a refreshing tonal change from the Jimmy storyline.

Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go, but otherwise I don't have any major complaints.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 May 2017, 01:34

Andrew wrote:Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go
Bwa? No no. Kim is an asset, don't write her off yet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 May 2017, 13:11

Okay, my hate for Hector is reaching new highs. He's exceeding my already high expectations as evil fuck.

On the 'We know where this is going' front:
I can't wait for Hector to get in the chair and lose his voice. I'm hoping it will be as satisfying as Joffrey's death.
Hooray for Saul Goodman finally showing up. The look on Kim's face, priceless.
Speaking of Kim, she's got to go at some point. Becoming disgusted with Saul would make a strong narrative arc. Sooner or later everybody figures out that deep down, Jimmy really is an a-hole.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 19 May 2017, 17:13

Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go
You may change your mind in a few episodes. I don't think I was fully on board the Kim train until an episode in the middle of season 2, and now her story is the one I'm most invested in (ie how Jimmy will totally fuck up her life).

The show's in an interesting place right now in terms of the big picture. It feels like Mike and Jimmy are more rapidly approaching their BB timeline, but the side characters' stories are only now kicking into gear. Chuck is trying to rehabilitate, Kim's on the rise, and the other shoe has to drop at some point with Mike's daughter-in-law. I wonder if the two leads are going to be less essential to much of the rest of the story.
"This addibility of the happiness of different subjects, however, when considered rigorously, it may appear fictitious, is a postulatum without the allowance of which all political reasoning is at a stand." - Jeremy Bentham

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 May 2017, 12:55

MJGreen wrote:
Kim is a massive stick in the mud and needs to go
You may change your mind in a few episodes. I don't think I was fully on board the Kim train until an episode in the middle of season 2, and now her story is the one I'm most invested in (ie how Jimmy will totally fuck up her life).
I have changed my mind. They moved away from the "Kim freaks out over something questionable Jimmy does" that they had for 3 episodes in a row and have decided to treat her like an actual character.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2017, 21:26

First, did it bug anybody else when Mike said "I was out there with my metal detector looking for arrowheads"?

So, I take it he was out there looking for the body, which I'm assuming was the truck driver, and Nacho told him where it was. But why would they leave his wedding band on? And did Nacho have GPS coordinates?

EDIT
I misremembered how the truck heist went down. Mike left the driver tied up. When he asks Nacho why he didn't read about the heist in the papers, Nacho informs him a "Good Samaritan" cut the driver loose, where upon the driver phoned Hector who came out with his crew, shot the good Samaritan in the face, buried him in the desert, and cleaned up the mess.

My questions still stand. Why didn't they steal his ring and how would nacho know to within 20 yards where exactly the body was buried?

Of course, it could be some other body. Mike might have even been looking for something else. And when he told Nacho "There's one more thing I need from you" it might have been something else entirely.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2017, 21:33

Oh em gee. I should have seen that coming. They totally telegraphed it. Kim's entire arc has been a slow motion car crash. But they still have one more episode this season. That's not enough time to develop anything. They'll probably give her a big twist of some sort.

Mike's "Walk me through how you're going to launder my money for me" conversation was great. Lydia gets some good lines "You think he's just a drug dealer?"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jun 2017, 12:18

Wow what a way to close out the season. A second viewing was well worth it.

I'm surprised they left Mike completely out of it.

Kim's arc was way stronger than I expected. The accident seems to have restored her grip on reality. At least in terms of "I can't work 90 hour weeks". But also in terms of strengthening her relationship with Jimmy. And I don't know how or if she's worked out how they're going to work together.

The accident also realigned Jimmies priorities. Totally shocked that he gave up the settlement money. His genuine concern for Kim, watching him take care of her, really makes him sympathetic. But as Chuck said, that won't last.

Speaking of Chuck, Holy Shit! Every chuck scene was strong. Loved the HHM negotiation scene. The 'Don't let the door hit you in the ass' sendoff was the cherry on the sunday. That conversation with Jimmy, so much subtext on both sides. Of course the relapse was expected. But I didn't see him descending into madness so far so fast. I think they could have cut two or three minutes of him digging into the walls without losing anything. His arc was really strong and coherent. In the end he burned all his bridges, his inflated ego left him all alone. Like his brother, he can't help himself from hurting the people around him over and over again. I think his total inability to deal with that is what really pushed him over the edge.

But Fucking eh. We loved to hate Chuck and with him gone, that's a big hole to fill.

The Nacho, Hector, Gus arc went as expected. No surprises, but still enjoyable to watch.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 22 Jun 2017, 13:50

Any idea what was making the meter run after all the breakers were cut?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jun 2017, 14:17

fyodor wrote:Any idea what was making the meter run after all the breakers were cut?
No. Every house I've ever lived in, the power lands at the breaker panel. There's nothing between the meter and the panel. It's possible that some current is trickling through the meter itself. I'm putting it down to Chuck's psychosis/artistic license.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jun 2017, 12:21

The internet reminded me that, If you don't see the body, he isn't dead.
Rewatching the whole season (with my finger on the FF button) has been worthwhile. Might even give the first two another look. There's loads of little touches I didn't pick up on the first pass.

I was struggling to understand Kim. She seemed incoherent, vacillating between wanting to support Jimmy and wanting to distance herself from him. But one scene brought her into focus for me. It's where she gets out of bed the day after the accident and Jimmy is making her breakfast. She's struggling to eat one handed (and left handed) when she flatly states "You're not feeding me Jimmy. There are some lines we do not cross." Which confused me a bit. Having someone feed you is definitely a line, it's a very intimate thing. Even so, they're an intimate couple, they've been through a lot together and have seen each other at their most vulnerable. It seemed odd to me that she would draw the line at being fed. But it is a line, and that is the essence of Kim's character. She doesn't cross the lines. Or if she does, she thinks better of it. She genuinely loves Jimmy, but she won't take the short cuts that he doesn't think twice about. This has actually been long established, It just took me this long to organize it in my head so that all the decisions she's made make sense in building a single coherent character.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT