How's the weather? v. 1.1

Twba

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Twba »

Jake wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 20:28 As president of the League of Oregon Cities, 72 hours ago my organization represented 241 cities... which was every city in Oregon. Now we represent 236 cities... which is still every city in Oregon.

This is awful.
You're in our thoughts. Seriously.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Fuck. Really, keep safe.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Highway

Post by Highway »

Oof, that's terrible, Jake. Hopefully the pain and injuries can be minimized. Hope everyone keeps their heads and does the best they can.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Fuck, this is awful. Stay safe, people.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Of all US states, I never would've imagined Oregon would suffer such horrors. I think the first time I learned of Oregon's existence was when I went through my Beverly Cleary/Ramona Quimby phase as a little kid, and in one of the books, when Ramona's parents had some people over, there was a little scene where someone complained about the rain and someone else said "What rain? This is good old Oregon sunshine!", followed by "Ramona thought she'd already heard that joke a million times, even though she was only [six or seven] years old."

Hopefully a good soaking rainstorm will drench the entire West Coast pretty soon.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Quick check of weather in Eugene, which is probably pretty indicative of the I-5 corridor, is pretty dry in August and September, averaging .6" and 1.3" respectively. Ramps up in October to 3.3" on average, so I expect what rain does fall in September is somewhat back-loaded, too. If this is a dryer-than-average year, which half of them have to be, they could be in for a rough ride before they get enough rain to make a real difference.

My boss is in Portland, and things are getting dicey even there.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

NH has had only about 5 inches of rain this summer, and the well at the family house has run dry this weekend. Both the small stream and the larger brook on the property are dry as well, meaning that there isn't any groundwater left in the ridge above the house. Nothing to do for my sister's family but bring in bottled water and do showers etc at someone else's house.

Plus, of course, a heightened risk of fire :(
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

This is my fear WRT living in a house on well water. Not that municipal water systems never have water supply problems but usually they're able to compensate to prevent absolutely-zero-water-in-the-system, although maybe I'm wrong and that happens too.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Well, the big key with municipal water systems is that they have a lot better monitoring than a household with a well. You can see what the water surface elevation of the reservoir is. You have a very good idea of the usage rates. You have multiple monitoring wells for aquifer fed systems. You don't just have a hole in the ground where the entirety of your knowledge about the situation comes down to "does water come out when I turn on the pump?"

I would imagine that there are some municipal systems that have absolutely run dry. But the other thing is that municipal water systems are also fire suppression systems and industrial production systems. So there's always a lot of eyes on these systems to make sure that they've got medium-term supply, and they start to put measures in place very early if they're seeing an impending shortage.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Dangerman wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 11:20 NH has had only about 5 inches of rain this summer, and the well at the family house has run dry this weekend. Both the small stream and the larger brook on the property are dry as well, meaning that there isn't any groundwater left in the ridge above the house. Nothing to do for my sister's family but bring in bottled water and do showers etc at someone else's house.

Plus, of course, a heightened risk of fire :(
Yikes, for working in the summers one reason I made the effort to switch to New Hampshire from Oregon was that excessive fires in Oregon had become yearly (as opposed to maybe every 5 years when I started) and it became hard to enjoy what the area had to offer (summer work in my biz typically pays very poorly so I certainly wasn't there for the money). It was such a relief going to NH where a hike or even just hanging outdoors was more likely to be cancelled due to rain than smoke and I didn't see a single forest fire. I remember last summer talk of drought but other than rivers that looked a little low "drought" sure looked a lot less drastic there than in the west. Sad to hear it's getting more serious there as well. Does fall typically bring some rain, or how long will they have to be without water?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

It should rain soon. September and October are usually the beginning of the rainy months. Fingers crossed.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Meanwhile, the decent time of year has come to north Georgia -- today the AC is off and it's only in the uppermost 60s outside. (Which IIRC is quite unusual for this region at this time of year; usually it's still Too Damned Hot and will remain so for at least a few more weeks.) My first Halloween here, I had the AC running that afternoon.) We had rain earlier and will get more today, though if it were up to me, I would gladly have today be too-sunny and in the 90s, and have our rain and cool temps go to Oregon or Washington State where it might do some good.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

For the second time in a couple weeks we had a very heavy rain today -- the first one was from the far-outskirts of a Gulf hurricane, but I think today's was its own thing -- but there's something about certain intense heavy rains in Georgia which ... I don't know if this is actually different from other places I've lived, or if there's just a selective memory/confirmation bias thing going on, but: of course I experienced plenty of intensely heavy rains when I lived in various regions of Virginia and points further northeast -- rain just as intense and heavy as today's, or the one a few days ago -- but up north, when the rain was that heavy it was because of an actual storm, with other storm elements: lightning and thunder, heavy winds, occasionally even some hail. But today and last heavy rain, there was none of that -- no electric storm elements, hardly any wind at all (except for a little but later this evening, shortly before the rain tapered off and stopped), definitely no hail. Heavy heavy rain, all without a storm. (Northern places did have rain without storms, of course, but that rain ranged from drizzle-to-modest, not "your windshield wipers can't keep up, for hours and hours at a time.")

And on the other end, lately (post-covid) I noticed a couple times when we had the opposite: a rainless storm. Loud/close lighting and thunder, high winds (not high enough to cause damage, but full-grown trees were bowing and swaying) ... and not a drop of rain at all. Again, I don't remember any of that further north: IIRC if there was lighting and thunder -- I mean close lightning and thunder, either near-simultaneous or a couple hippopotami at most, there was definitely going to be some rain with it.

I gather lightning-without-rain is fairly common in the arid west (and the occasional cause of fires), but I can''t figure how it's even possible in a place with as much humidity as here.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I'd bet that the rain just missed you by half a mile or so. Lightning can strike out from the storm by up to half a mile IIRC, maybe more. And with as many trees and hills as Atlanta has, I'd be unsurprised that you couldn't see rain even if it were close.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The Weather Channel's site:

Nothing expected to form in the next five days, at least. Not that I've gotten worse than overcast and a little rain from anything that's hit, even Beta, but it's been kinda crazy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.