How's the weather? v. 1.1

Jake

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jake » 26 Feb 2019, 15:27

On Sunday night it started snowing. This, in itself, isn't unusual; we get a little bit of snow once or twice a year, usually. Maybe an inch or two.

Except it kept snowing. A lot. Got around 14" at my house, which is more than I've ever seen 'round these parts. And then the power went out. Turns out, the record snow brought down a lot of trees, and with them, power lines. They also blocked roads, making it harder for repair crews to get to where they need to go.

It's now Tuesday afternoon. The power is still out, along with cell service. We have a gas stove, so we've been spending much of our time in the kitchen, boiling water for hot drinks (and, as a useful side effect, to keep the room warm).

We'll be fine; we're pretty well-prepared, overall, and being able to escape is certainly a morale-booster (I was finally able to get my minivan out of the neighborhood and to the Interstate today, and am now sitting on the University of Oregon campus, charging my laptop, my phone, and my external battery phone charger thingie). But it's a weird feeling, being so cut off from the rest of the world.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Feb 2019, 15:52

Ugh. Good luck, Jake. Long periods without power suck. OTOH, think of it as practice for when the barbarians return.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 26 Feb 2019, 16:22

Is the whole town out or just your neighborhood? This, by the way, would be a perfect time to open the Amarone — warms the blood or something.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Feb 2019, 17:26

I can empathize, as I still remember spending six days in the dark at the beginning of what turned out to be my last winter in Connecticut.

For future reference: if you don't have a fireplace or similar "no utilities necessary" ways of heating your house, you CAN use metal-cup tealight candles and metal coffee cans (or similar things) to make makeshift space heaters. That's what I did, so that Jeff and I wouldn't have to move into the middle-school gym for the duration.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Feb 2019, 12:46

Did that with Hugo. We were out of power for about a week. Of course, the weather after Hugo moved through was actually kinda spectacular - not even really hot or cold.

Downside was we didn't have gas appliances so we couldn't just cook whatever we wanted. Upside we had a gas mechanical water heater and the city managed to get water service back up pretty quickly, so I could have a hot shower and a shave, which goes a long way towards making one feel civilized. And we did a lot of camping so we had a two-burner coleman stove and a bunch of appropriate foods, so it was of limited hardship.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 01 Mar 2019, 01:36

Turns out we were only without power for a couple of days, so we're now back to our standard level of hedonistic heat-having. Yay! :)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Mar 2019, 09:51

Jake wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 01:36
Turns out we were only without power for a couple of days, so we're now back to our standard level of hedonistic heat-having. Yay! :)
Heatitude and warmiosity are good things! :D
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2019, 14:38

Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 03 Mar 2019, 15:50

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:38
Oh man. Look if your "Stranded without heat" story doesn't at least get to the point where you're eating the dead, it's not worth telling.
With mayonnaise, presumably.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Mar 2019, 05:09

Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

If you’re using mayo on anything else, you deserve to be the one on the menu.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2019, 12:21

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 05:09
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:
If you’ve got the other fixins for BLTs you’re not in a situation where cannibalism is called for.

Piffle. You can't make decent chicken salad without mayonnaise. Or coleslaw. Or a dozen other excellent dishes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Mar 2019, 14:03

We got 8"-10" but it's so warm today that it's settled to about 4" already. And it's obviously super heavy although not sticky so northeast NE still has power etc. Snowstorms and fresh snow are the only redeeming qualities of winter so I'm ok for now.

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2019, 14:29

It snowed all afternoon yesterday, but since the temperature was over 35 the whole time, it just ended up being decorative flocking on the grass and vehicles.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Mar 2019, 16:13

Snow = 'the devil's dandruff'

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Mar 2019, 19:05

Warren wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:21
lunchstealer wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:

Piffle. You can't make decent chicken salad without mayonnaise. Or coleslaw. Or a dozen other excellent dishes.
I've had tolerable coleslaw, and chicken salad, but they're not things that I'd go out of my way for. And if you're eating the dead, are you really going to pull out the mayo and relish to make human salad?

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2019, 19:40

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:05
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:

I've had tolerable coleslaw, and chicken salad, but they're not things that I'd go out of my way for. And if you're eating the dead, are you really going to pull out the mayo and relish to make human salad?
Being stranded in a blizzard is no excuse for barbarism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Mar 2019, 19:44

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:05
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:
Warren wrote:

The only proper way To Serve Man is slow roasted on a spit over a open fire (hardwood fuel preferably) 3 - 6 hours (depending on weight and BMI). Baste frequently with drippings seasoned with garlic, basil and zest of orange. Side vegetables should be pan-fried potatoes, corn on the cob and asparagus spears. Recommend a Chardonnay (2003) or a Merlot (2009).

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Mar 2019, 20:28

What about Taco Bell sauce packets?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 048665002/
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Mar 2019, 22:32

Ellie wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 20:28

Yes. The order of survival is 1) Taco Bell sauce packets, 2) cannibalism, 3) a torturous drawn-out death by starvation, 4) chicken salad made with mayonnaise.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 05 Mar 2019, 06:02

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 22:32
Ellie wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 20:28

Yes. The order of survival is 1) Taco Bell sauce packets, 2) cannibalism, 3) a torturous drawn-out death by starvation, 4) chicken salad made with mayonnaise.
Sounds about right.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Mar 2019, 18:17

It's sunny, but It keeps dipping down to freezing overnight. Supposed to be up toward 80 in a few days, which will be annoying due to my AC being out.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Mar 2019, 21:31

80 and sunny today. Hard to complain about March weather here.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Mar 2019, 22:24

Andrew wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 21:31
O shut up!
Central Saanich, BC Weather
Updated on Tue Mar 5 7:05 PM

36°F
FEELS LIKE 32°F

A few clouds

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Mar 2019, 22:36

Tomorrow our high is supposed to be 28. Low of 17 tonight.

Average high this date: 50.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Mar 2019, 23:17

Aresen wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 22:24
Andrew wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 21:31
O shut up!
Central Saanich, BC Weather
Updated on Tue Mar 5 7:05 PM

36°F
FEELS LIKE 32°F

A few clouds
I assume the Mounties are en route to politely correct you for citing the wrong temperature scale.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman