How's the weather? v. 1.1

Kwix

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Kwix » 07 Jan 2019, 14:25

Long time coming but we just got our first cold snap of the season!
Woke up to -20F at the homestead this AM. Hell of a change since the unseasonably warm +45 we had 4 days ago.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jan 2019, 18:19

It had been chilly and occasionally rainy, but now it's 72 outside as I type this.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 08 Jan 2019, 09:15

IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG (7.48 MiB) Viewed 1396 times
Snow recently. Closed down the highway between Janos and Agua Prieta. It doesn't last long here, though.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 10:43

Purdy
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jan 2019, 10:50

60F today 30F tomorrow.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jan 2019, 13:25

36F and freezing rain. Yesterday was 20F and crystal clear frigidity. I think I'm glad it wasn't the other way around?

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jan 2019, 16:56

The snow storm is well established. There's already a few inches on the ground. They'll be measuring it in feet before the sun shines here again. The pantry is fairly stocked. We are home and hunkering down.
Also, I've got a crock-pot full of home-made chili that's been simmering since 11:00 this morning.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Jan 2019, 17:27

We'll struggle to get 3 inches, but it's likely to be heavy slush, so ew.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Jan 2019, 15:42

Cold snap let up yesterday and it hit above freezing but with no precip. Roads are dry and we are in the mid 20s so I'm happy.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Jan 2019, 17:47

It's fun to look at a forecast and see "High: 47, Low: 8".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jan 2019, 11:11

lunchstealer wrote:We'll struggle to get 3 inches, but it's likely to be heavy slush, so ew.
We got 5 and it was godawful spring wet cement in early January. Even with a power shovel it was a massive pita to clear my driveway and sidewalk.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jan 2019, 12:20

OH GOD DAMN IT IT'S SNOWING AGAIN AT 36F IN JANUARY.

Yet another pile of cement to shovel off the fucking driveway. In fucking January. This time of year I should be able to clear any snowfall less than 4" with a pushbroom because this time of year we're supposed to get cold powdery snow. The cement is for March. Late February at the earliest. It's why Spring is the only bad season in Colorado, and most of actual winter is pretty okay. YOU'RE BREAKING THE SOCIAL CONTRACT, WEATHER.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2019, 13:57

Man, reading these winter-weather complaints REALLY has me feeling left out, since I moved to Atlanta. When people are talking about snowfalls measured in feet, somehow "The frost on my car was almost thick enough to be opaque this morning" loses what little frisson it had.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Jan 2019, 14:13

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 12:20

Yet another pile of cement to shovel off the fucking driveway. In fucking January. This time of year I should be able to clear any snowfall less than 4" with a pushbroom because this time of year we're supposed to get cold powdery snow. The cement is for March. Late February at the earliest. It's why Spring is the only bad season in Colorado, and most of actual winter is pretty okay. YOU'RE BREAKING THE SOCIAL CONTRACT, WEATHER.
All it means to me is I have to shovel because no one else is capable.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jan 2019, 14:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 14:13
lunchstealer wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 12:20

All it means to me is I have to shovel because no one else is capable.
It also means that that shoveling will suck a lot more than if the same mass of snow fell as dry snow rather that wet snow.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2019, 14:54

When I had to shovel -- especially the three-foot Loudoun snowfall I dealt with myself because Jeff was in South Carolina at the time -- since I don't have a hell of a lot of upper-body strength I only made use of about a quarter of my snow shovel's capacity each time: instead of digging the entire shovel-blade into the snow, I'd only put the blade in about a quarter of the way, so only the edge of the shovel had actual snow on it. Still, I ended up making an astonishing amount of progress at this slow-but-steady rate (even if I did feel like a Tex Avery cartoon character, using tweezers to remove a snowbank one snowflake at a time).

Also, I learned that even if temps are above freezing and it's too hot to wear gloves, wear them anyway; only after I removed my gloves last time did I start getting blisters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jan 2019, 15:07

Wet snow is heavy and nearly breaks your back, but it is better to do it while still wet than try to blast it out when the temperature drops below freezing.

OTOH, three feet of powder at -10° F with a 20 mph wind isn't exactly recreational, either.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Feb 2019, 20:31

We nearly made it through the winter without snowfall, but February is determined to make up the deficit.

10 - 15 cm last night. Not much by eastern standards, but enough to thoroughly bitch up travel in an area that doesn't really prepare for snow. I got out, did my barn chores, then came home to the cave.

Snow started again about 2 PM. It is coming down steadily. Fortunately, it is really dry, light snow, not the usual heavy slush we usually get if it snows. I have been going out to clean my walk in order to stay ahead. I did so a few minutes ago. In the 15 minutes it took me to go from one end of the walk to the other (about 50 feet), there was already 2 mm of snow at the point where I started.

Cocooning is in order.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Feb 2019, 20:46

We've had snow/sleet/rain/freezing rain all day, and it's supposed to continue overnight and then all day tomorrow as rain. Could be fine for going to work tomorrow, could be a gigantic mess.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 12 Feb 2019, 09:54

Could someone tell that vortex thingy to fuck off already? It's usually 35-45 for most of this month. Really messing with my chi being down everyday at 20 to 30 degrees.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Feb 2019, 19:29

wut? It's been cold like three days this month. In February in Colorado. It hit 50 today and may hit 60 tomorrow. It may not even freeze tomorrow night.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2019, 19:52

Just got the driveway and sidewalk dug out. It is just above freezing right now and everything is wet. Hopefully, it won't drop below 0° C again and turn everything into a skating rink.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 12 Feb 2019, 19:57

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 19:29
wut? It's been cold like three days this month. In February in Colorado. It hit 50 today and may hit 60 tomorrow. It may not even freeze tomorrow night.
It was 20 degrees out where I live this morning when I commented. It was supposed to snow on Friday/Saturday. Looks like it got shelved to Saturday/Sunday now. I stand by my assessment when I wrote it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Feb 2019, 15:23

Yesterday, High: 34 Rain
Today, High: 61 Sun
Tomorrow High: 25 Snow
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2019, 21:01

More effing snow. :x