How's the weather? v. 1.1

Ellie

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Ellie » 16 Jul 2018, 12:54

Tomorrow's looking decent but the last few days have been hot. I tried to clean up some tarps and crap off our back patio since I know my neighbors are a bit annoyed at the "city dump" aesthetic we have going out there, but then we ended up making an impromptu Slip 'n' Slide out of the tarps instead and cooling off that way. *shrug emoji*
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 Jul 2018, 14:28

Kolohe wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 12:45
I can vouch for the Alaska weather right now as being far superior to the Mid Atlantic & Southeast US right now.

Plus it got clear enough for a while both yesterday & this morning to see Denali.
Really? That's no small feat this time of year.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 Jul 2018, 22:44

Too hot . . . hiding in walk in beer fridge near where I live.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 23:32

96 and sunny and humid today, yet it didn't make me QUITE as miserable as those statistics would suggest. I do not know how much is me getting acclimated, and how much is me FINALLY having clothing appropriate for such climate conditions.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Jul 2018, 04:53

Feels great over here. Fuck you east coasters yo.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Jul 2018, 07:16

Pham Nuwen wrote:Feels great over here. Fuck you east coasters yo.
Actually, the rest of the week here is gonna be pretty great, thanks to some air from Canada.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jul 2018, 13:09

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 04:53
Feels great over here. Fuck you east coasters yo.
You wait til it hits 93 this afternoon and go do some work in direct sunlight.

Haha I kid even then your sweat actually works which differentiates us strongly from the pine barrens of the east.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Jul 2018, 20:23

We've had about 2.5 inches of rain today, and expecting another inch or so before morning. Just constant rain all day.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jul 2018, 20:34

We had a massive electrical storm this morning. (Luckily, Jeff got home from work just in time to avoid it; had he been one minute later, he'd've got utterly drenched walking from his car to out front door.) Thunder so loud, and so close, I could feel vibrations in the furniture.

Dunno if this is just a coincidence, but when I got up this afternoon I discovered that our cable box (plugged directly into an electrical outlet, sans surge protector) was completely dark: no time readout on the digital clock, not even the little weird symbol it shows when the cable is out; no little glowing circle outlining the power button, nothing. May as well have been unplugged. Not until we exchanged it for a new one at the cable office did I remember this morning's storm, when the lady there suggested maybe that's why the box went dark: perhaps some lightning fried it. (Although our TV set, plugged into the same outlet as the cable box, is fine.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Jul 2018, 21:11

You're probably lucky. Comcast's horrible surge suppression destroyed at least 1 TV, 2 Tivos, 3 Routers, and 1 VCR for me. And that was all before I switched away from Comcast 10 years ago. It wasn't through our electrical system, it was from their coax cable.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2018, 00:05

Highway wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:11
You're probably lucky. Comcast's horrible surge suppression destroyed at least 1 TV, 2 Tivos, 3 Routers, and 1 VCR for me. And that was all before I switched away from Comcast 10 years ago. It wasn't through our electrical system, it was from their coax cable.
Luckily, we're switching to AT&T later this week (Jeff now qualifies for a mega-discount through his job).

Since we'll soon be losing Comcast anyway, I'm less annoyed by how many things I'd saved on the DVR were "missing" when we set up the new box today.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 22 Jul 2018, 07:43

Highway wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 20:23
We've had about 2.5 inches of rain today, and expecting another inch or so before morning. Just constant rain all day.
I'm jealous.

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jul 2018, 13:56

Sun thunderstorming atm
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Jul 2018, 22:13

We're going to be over 5 inches of rain today at my local station, 9 inches over the last 3 days. And who knows how much we'll get tomorrow, since it's saying 1.5 inches, but it said that for today.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Aug 2018, 20:56

So all last week or so I went around thinking "Yeah, I think I'm starting to get used to this heat. Dunno how much is me having acclimated and how much is me finally having proper clothes for the climate, but -- I don't exactly like the heat, but I can handle it."

Of course that was before I realized last week was a relative cool snap, with high temps only in the upper 80s.

This was today:

No, I have not acclimated.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2018, 17:50

We might get hit by the outermost parts of hurricane Florence. As of two days ago, I've been making a point of consuming as much fridge/freezer food as possible, and filling the vacated spaces with bottles of water. Also bought canned heat-n-serve food, single-serving fruit cups, and other no-fridge/cooking-not-strictly-necessary foods.

Meanwhile, the governor of South Carolina has ordered the entire state's coastline evacuated, effective tomorrow. I am half-expecting Jeff's brother to call to ask if he can stay with us (of course the answer will be "yes"). I don't know just how far inland he's living nowadays, though.

JD

Post by JD » 10 Sep 2018, 17:55

Here in NYC, it went from "too hot" to "too cold" in the span of about 48 hours.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Sep 2018, 17:58

It'll get back to warm in a few days.

I'm expecting we'll get a significant amount of rain from Florence. Not much else, unless it has a big change in path, tho.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Sep 2018, 18:37

The Potomac is already flooding the Alexandria waterfront at high tide. Depending on which watershed this winds up sitting over, it may take out some of the boathouses like that one stalled storm did in the late 80s (when it stalled over West Virginia and really mucked things up there)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2018, 18:55

JD wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 17:55
Here in NYC, it went from "too hot" to "too cold" in the span of about 48 hours.
[Wistful sigh] Coldness. Coolness. Outdoor sensations other than "overheated and damp." [Another wistful sigh] Must be nice.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2018, 18:57

Stay safe, affected folks.

It's in the high 70s and drizzly, here.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2018, 19:20

Hee hee hee. This is from a local news report about the hurricane:

https://www.ajc.com/weather/hurricane-f ... -need-know
Florence could reach the Atlanta coast by Thursday afternoon, according to Channel 2.
Huh. As a relative newcomer to the area I'll admit I still don't know my way around the city very well, but I had no idea we had a coastline!

Damn. I need to get out more.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Sep 2018, 15:41

As of two days ago, Jeff's brother said he plans to stay put rather than evacuate. (FWIW, he's currently living about 15 miles inland, so whatever wind and rain issues he'll have, at least the storm surge shouldn't be an issue.)

Weather Channel showed the city where my MIL lived, and a major street I did not recognize with a line of ambulances flashing their lights. The narrator said it's because the hospitals are being evacuated.

Yesterday I went to a local Walmart to pick up some more no-fridge no-cook food, and almost half the parking lot was filled with power trucks. At first I thought they were there to replace a light pole, until I noticed every single truck had an "Alabama Power" logo. So now I'm guessing they are actually camping out here, in order to more quickly mobilize to the Carolinas after Florence blows through.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 12 Sep 2018, 15:55

When I lived in the Gulf Coast of Florida (corner pocket for gulf hurricanes) we wouldn't evacuate unless it was projected to be a high 4+ hurricane. But the thing is our hurricanes were almost always predictable. They'd hit hard, fast and be midway to Tennessee 8 hours after landfall. Florence is predicted to stall at the coast and drift lazily south by south west dumping between 30 and 50 inches of rain in some areas and pushing storm surge the whole way until it makes landfall. That's a recipe for widespread coastal carnage.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Sep 2018, 16:03

As of 30 seconds ago, Jeff's brother's plans have changed to "he's going someplace south." As opposed to inland. His town is being evacuated.

Though as I think about it, our apartment might not be an entirely safe evacuation spot for him anyway -- not that I'm worried about the place being destroyed (unless we are unlucky enough to get hit by a tornado), but there is indeed a chance we might lose electricity for awhile, depending on where Florence goes. And my BIL is diabetic; I don't know if all forms of insulin need refrigeration, or if there are shelf-stable forms available, but -- yeah, if he has a medical need for refrigeration, even my far far far inland home might not be a safe place for him to stay.