How's the weather? v. 1.1

Aresen

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen » 08 Sep 2017, 20:49

Mo wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 20:40
Wait, like Sandy was a hoax to elect Obama? Sandy also hit parts of CT reasonably hard.
Sandy is not a hoax. He still posts here regularly.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2017, 21:10

Aresen wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 20:49
Mo wrote:
Wait, like Sandy was a hoax to elect Obama? Sandy also hit parts of CT reasonably hard.
The latter does not necessarily contradict the former, y'know.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Sep 2017, 21:20

People are incredibly ignorant. We should want fewer people voting and end the get out the vote campaigns unless they're accompanied by independent, objective educate people about the issues campaigns.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Sep 2017, 21:20

It occurs to me that the last couple of times I've had a beer with Sandy, it's been fairly close to a major Masonic temple.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 08 Sep 2017, 21:25

Kolohe wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 21:20
It occurs to me that the last couple of times I've had a beer with Sandy, it's been fairly close to a major Masonic temple.
In my experience, drinking almost always can be found in the vicinity of Masonic lodges and temples.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2017, 21:34

the innominate one wrote:
People are incredibly ignorant. We should want fewer people voting and end the get out the vote campaigns unless they're accompanied by independent, objective educate people about the issues campaigns.
That wouldn't do any good. Nothing does.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Sep 2017, 21:37

Solitudinarian wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 21:25
Kolohe wrote:
In my experience, drinking almost always can be found in the vicinity of Masonic lodges and temples.
Ah, so that's how they control things.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Sep 2017, 21:41

It's still better than Rush "the evacuation is a liberal hoax, by the way, I won't be doing the show from my normal location in Florida for ... reasons" Limbaugh.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2017, 22:19

I dunno if my fellow Kroger-shoppers are as ignorant as the emissions guy and his "hurricanes don't go as far north as Connecticut," but I only recall three other people buying non-perishable items. The guy in front of me in the cashier's line bought something like a dozen frozen Lean Cuisine dinners. I suppose it's technically possible he already has full hurricane supplies laid in, and his freezer is completely empty of food that will go bad in a power outage, AND those Lean Cuisines are exactly enough to keep his household fed until Monday when the storm's supposed to hit us, but ... I wouldn't bet any money on that proposition.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Sep 2017, 22:50

Mo wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 21:41
It's still better than Rush "the evacuation is a liberal hoax, by the way, I won't be doing the show from my normal location in Florida for ... reasons" Limbaugh.
What? Really?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Sep 2017, 23:11

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 08 Sep 2017, 23:20

Aaaaand we're out of the cone (as of the 11 p.m. update). Unless something drastically changes, Irma is going to the West coast. She's a big girl, so we'll still get tropical storm winds for good 1/2 day or so, but for Floridians, that's as routine as orange juice or STD's.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with all this bread? Seriously, I have like 6 loaves. Perhaps Rush was almost right, but rather than "the liberals" it was Wonderbread the whole time...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Sep 2017, 23:22

Jennifer wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 21:10
Aresen wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 20:49
Mo wrote:
The latter does not necessarily contradict the former, y'know.
Ha! I know he's real! I've seen his birth certificate! He was born at the Charlie Parker Memorial Hospital and Grill in Mayberry, North Carolina.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Sep 2017, 23:22

Taktix® wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 23:20
Aaaaand we're out of the cone (as of the 11 p.m. update). Unless something drastically changes, Irma is going to the West coast. She's a big girl, so we'll still get tropical storm winds for good 1/2 day or so, but for Floridians, that's as routine as orange juice or STD's.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with all this bread? Seriously, I have like 6 loaves. Perhaps Rush was almost right, but rather than "the liberals" it was Wonderbread the whole time...
Yay! Good to hear.

You can keep the sandwiches.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Sep 2017, 23:46

You can freeze bread.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2017, 23:49

Just got back from the local Walmart; the bottled-water aisle is almost completely empty (except a couple bottles of Voss and other super-expensive brands). I did splurge on a few things I wouldn't ordinarily buy: some single-serving bottles of fruit juices Jeff and I like, fruit and applesauce cups, a big bag of Snickers from the Halloween-candy aisle, things like that. If we don't lose power from Irma or any other hurricanes, I'll hold onto this stuff until hurricane season is over, then work it into my regular diet somehow.

Glad to hear Irma's supposed to skip you, Taktix! But if I were you, I'd leave those boards on the windows until the storm is well passed. (Plus, it's still too early to tell what Jose is going to do.)

By the way, you can freeze those extra loaves of bread.

EDIT: And I see TIO made the same point.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Sep 2017, 23:59

Too bad the storm turned. Oh, well, maybe it will spin off some tornadoes to ravage Florida's east coast.

I was hoping it would hit the other side of the state and kill one of my cousins. And Rush Limbaugh.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Sep 2017, 14:54

BTW, this kinda puts Irma on a direct course for Isaac Bartram. He's far enough inland to be safe from storm surge, but they're gonna get craptons of rain and the wind is gonna be hateful. I've been through cat 2 sustained winds, definitely cat 3 gusts (the nearest wind gauge blew away at 120mph) and it's no fun. He could get sustained cat 4. I honestly can't imagine that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Sep 2017, 16:46

Damn. I'd thought it was a good sign when I saw a headline saying Irma had weakened to a category 3 -- but it's supposed to go back up to 4 before hitting Florida.

Meanwhile, Hurricane Jose is supposed to hit the same Caribbean islands Irma already smashed. And it's too early yet to predict where Jose will go after that.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Sep 2017, 10:16

I miss the official National Weather Service reports being in ALL CAPS.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Sep 2017, 13:50

When your man on the street knows more than anyone at your network.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 10 Sep 2017, 14:03

Nice. If not the smartest man alive, certainly that's the most informed individual ever to appear on Fox.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Sep 2017, 14:04

Agree. Dude is probably a sailor.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Sep 2017, 14:09

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 10 Sep 2017, 19:22

Safe, and the worst has passed. We never lost power despite, like, every single person around us going dark...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau