How's the weather? v. 1.1

Fin Fang Foom

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Sep 2017, 09:15

Evidently, there are two more after Irma forming up.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Sep 2017, 10:30

Minor Update: We've verified with the owners and the HOA that we're ok to board up the proper way (on the outside) so I'll be doing that this afternoon. Also secured some extra concrete anchors at a small local hardware store, as they ran out at the big box stores.

We're good on food supplies but I tried to grab a little extra while I was running around, and the non-perishable aisles are fucking barren, Was able to grab some bottled frappiccinos for that coffee fix but otherwise we're rolling with what we got.

Shit's getting real...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Sep 2017, 15:52

I know there isn't a Category 6, but couldn't they do something fun like "Category . . Omega."
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2017, 16:06

Damn, Taktix, I hope you and your family stay safe.

Feels almost obscene for me to say that the weather is absolutely beautiful here today: first time since the start of summer that I've had the AC off during the daylight hours (predicted high temp today only 75 degrees). It's almost as though Irma is sucking up all the shitty weather for hundreds of miles around, and hoarding it for herself.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Sep 2017, 16:08

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 15:52
I know there isn't a Category 6, but couldn't they do something fun like "Category . . Omega."
Category Д
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Sep 2017, 16:12

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 16:08
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 15:52
Category Д
No, that's the grade Trump got on his last report card from Putin.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Sep 2017, 16:33

No hurricane but had a nasty windstorm last night that took out a couple of rotten trees that should have been culled long ago. Bonus, one was aimed right at my beater Nissan but decided to fall perpendicular.
It was particularly hurricane like in that prior to and after the storm it was cloudy and rainy but during the thing it was warm and clear as a bell, nearly full moon last night.

Stay safe all the folks in the SE. Current Irma models show it most likely either plowing through the middle of FL or skirting the right coast and making landfall somewhere around GA.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Sep 2017, 18:23

Here, the weather's extremely pleasant for early September—80 and clear, moderate humidity.

Stay safe, folks.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2017, 19:18

Hmm. I've got the Weather Channel on TV for background noise, and happened to glance at it just in time to see a bottom-of-screen newsbar saying that Georgia's governor has declared a state of emergency for six coastal counties. I of course am nowhere near the coasts (Atlantic or Gulf), but last night I did some Googling about hurricanes in Atlanta and, after discovering there is a "Hurricanes" sports team based in the city, also learned that 20 years ago, Hurricane Opal fucked things up fairly badly here, even though it had been downgraded to IIRC strong tropical storm or weakest possible hurricane by the time it reached us. Parts of Atlanta and surrounding areas without power for up to a week.

For the past week and change, ever since Irma became a named storm, I have not bought any refrigerated or frozen food (except coffee cream), and have made a point of only eating fridge or freezer food, to reduce waste in case we lose power. (I'm still annoyed by the memory of the $200+ worth of food we had to discard in Connecticut, after the Halloween blizzard of 2011. The electric company made reimbursements to people who lacked power for seven days, but we were only without power for six days, which supposedly is not long enough for everything in the fridge and freezer to go bad.) Also, as space is vacated in the fridge or freezer, I fill that space with bottles of water--I'm glad I saved all those empty juice and tea bottles Jeff likes. Wish I'd saved even more.

However, I think Jeff has reached if not surpassed the point of annoyance. "Instead of [shelf-stable pasta dish] for dinner, why don't we have some of the pierogies in the freezer?" "Eh, if you don't mind, I'd like to hold off on buying [frozen] Swedish meatballs until after we know we won't lose power."

I have this almost superstitious belief "If I do prepare for a storm then we won't get hit, but if I don't prepare then we will." Which is exactly what happened during our last three or four years in Connecticut.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Sep 2017, 22:37

This is pretty cool. A Twitter "moment" about a flight slipping into and out of Puerto Rico in the last moments before Irma hit the island.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/905487561182908416
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Sep 2017, 00:55

I've got relatives in St. Augustine FL that intend to ride it out.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Sep 2017, 07:37

the innominate one wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 22:37
This is pretty cool. A Twitter "moment" about a flight slipping into and out of Puerto Rico in the last moments before Irma hit the island.

Kudos to them getting the job done, but the risk manager in me is going nope nope nope shouldn't have done that.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Sep 2017, 12:43

Kolohe wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 07:37

Kudos to them getting the job done, but the risk manager in me is going nope nope nope shouldn't have done that.
Yeah, 737s are expensive to repair from hurricane damage, even disregarding the crash risk.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Sep 2017, 23:45

Latest forecasting models call for Irma to go all the way up the Florida peninsula, then keep cutting a swath through Georgia and hit my area late Monday or early Tuesday.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Sep 2017, 00:02

Dammit Taktix. I hope you and the family are safe from the storm but you need a more hardcore name than Kyle Family Bunker. To keep looters and other lawless brethren away. Like say "The Dusk Citadel" or "Brokenspear Redoubt". Think about it.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2017, 00:17

That's frickin' neat.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 08 Sep 2017, 17:34

First good news in a few updates: the latest tracks have it going up the West coast. We'll still get plenty of nasty over here in Broward, but we might be spared a direct hit...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2017, 17:41

I hope so for your sakes. Also, IIRC, isn't east of the eye the least-bad part of a hurricane, where wind speed and similar things are concerned? If the eye passes well to the west of you, that's about as good as you can hope for, outside of being missed altogether.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Sep 2017, 18:11

Jennifer wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 17:41
I hope so for your sakes. Also, IIRC, isn't east of the eye the least-bad part of a hurricane, where wind speed and similar things are concerned? If the eye passes well to the west of you, that's about as good as you can hope for, outside of being missed altogether.
Less wind, more rain. So it evens out. Or it does down here, anyway. Wind is the scary part, though, because there's no telling what 200+ mph winds will pick up and throw around. As Ron White once said "It's not that the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing."

Good luck, Taktix. As somebody who doesn't evacuate for hurricanes, I wish you all the best.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 08 Sep 2017, 18:55

tr0g wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 18:11
Jennifer wrote:
Less wind, more rain. So it evens out. Or it does down here, anyway. Wind is the scary part, though, because there's no telling what 200+ mph winds will pick up and throw around. As Ron White once said "It's not that the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing."

Good luck, Taktix. As somebody who doesn't evacuate for hurricanes, I wish you all the best.
Good thoughts. Update us as soon as you can afterwards.

(Aren't we supposed to say Good luck, we're all counting on you?)
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Sep 2017, 20:08

Everything I've read is that it's not an east/west thing, but a right/left of the direction of the hurricane. A hurricane blows counter-clockwise, so the right side has stronger winds than the left side because the winds are blowing wind speed + hurricane movement speed. E.g. a hurricane moving 10 mph with 150 mph winds has winds of 160 mph on the right side and 140 mph on the left side. So in this case, being east of the eye on a northbound hurricane is worse than being on the west side.

See also
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Sep 2017, 20:14

tr0g wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 18:11
Jennifer wrote:

For a hurricane heading north, its the other way 'round. You always want to be on the left side of the hurricane if you can choose. Winds are strongest on the leading side of the eyewall and the side where winds are going in the direction of travel. In the northern hemisphere, that means the right-hand side of the track. That's for winds, which are Taktix' biggest concern as far inland as he is. It gets more complicated when you're trying to account for storm surge, but again that's going to be worst on the right hand side, as it pushes the water along ahead of the storm. But the geometry of the coast and the direction of travel can change that equation.

I was on the right-hand (northwest) side of Hugo, but inside the eye. Sandy was in Columbia, 30 miles west, but in or close to the left-hand eyewall. It was hellfire and fury where I was, with hundreds of trees down in my neighborhood - I couldn't get out of our neighborhood until some were cleared - and probably at least a dozen, probably more down in our yard, including one that got twisted off halfway up and dropped on our roof, punching a limb through the roof and knocking a ceiling joist down into my parents' bedroom. Sandy got some wind and rain. A few miles from him a neighborhood got hit pretty hard but that was probably because a lot of very old trees were especially vulnerable.

Hang in there, taktix, Jennifer, Isaac Bartram if you happen to drop by to see this (or even if you don't), and Jasper's vacation home place.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2017, 20:35

So, apparently, there are a LOT of people in my neck of the woods who not ONLY don't know there's a good chance we'll get hit by Irma (albeit a MUCH weaker version than what Florida is supposed to get), they don't even know it's possible for Atlanta's southern suburbs to be affected by hurricanes!

I had to get my car's emissions test done today, and the nearest test center is in the parking lot of the strip mall holding the Kroger where I usually shop. When I got there, the emissions center was closed, but the man there said it would re-open in 15 minutes, after the operator got back from the bank. So I walked over to Kroger, figuring it wouldn't hurt to pick up a few more granola bars and other non-perishable snack-type foods.

There were a few people in Kroger making what I suspect were storm-prep purchases, including at least three people whose carts were chockful of cases of drinking water. But for every one person buying storm-prep or non-perishable stuff, there were four people buying things like "carts full of frozen dinners" or other things likely to go bad if we do indeed lose power for any significant length of time.

I bought my stuff and went back to the emissions center, which had a long-ish line by then; I had to wait 20 or 30 minutes for my turn. While the test was going on I made small talk with the operator (who seemed amazed that my 2002-model car was still on the road), and at one point he also expressed surprise over how many people were in line for the emissions test. So I said something like "Yeah, I came by a little earlier but the guy said it was closed until you got back from the bank, so I went to Kroger to pick up a few more hurricane supplies."

"What, you're going to Florida?" he asked in a surprised tone.

"No, but the storm's forecast to hit here on Monday," I said in an equally surprised tone.

He said that's impossible; hurricanes can't hit us here because we're too far from any beach. I agreed that we don't have to worry about storm surges, but we can still get winds and rain bad enough to lose power, and maybe have contaminated tap water too. I also mentioned that when Hurricane Opal hit 20 years ago, parts of Atlanta and its suburbs were without power for up to a week.

Judging from the look on his face, I'm about 95 percent sure he thought I was just bullshitting him, or possibly shilling for the Granola Bar and Canned Food-Industrial Complex. He also did not believe me when I mentioned going through a couple of hurricanes in Connecticut, because, quote, "hurricanes don't go that far north." So I mentioned Superstorm Sandy trashing parts of New Jersey and New York City a few years ago, but -- again, he seemed to think I was full of it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Sep 2017, 20:40

Wait, like Sandy was a hoax to elect Obama? Sandy also hit parts of CT reasonably hard.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2017, 20:46

Mo wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 20:40
Wait, like Sandy was a hoax to elect Obama? Sandy also hit parts of CT reasonably hard.
No, more like "I don't think he ever even heard of Sandy before." Even though it made national news headlines, and was NOT the sort of thing that only locals and friends-of-locals would know about.

I know not everyone's a news/weather junkie like I am, but -- seriously, this guy apparently DID NOT KNOW hurricanes have ever struck New England, DID NOT KNOW hurricanes have struck Atlanta well within living memory -- he really seemed to think that hurricanes can only ever be a problem if you live in Florida, or within a few blocks of a southern-state saltwater beach.