How's the weather? v. 1.1

Jennifer

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 04 Sep 2017, 19:10

Here in the Atlanta suburbs, it's still miserably hot and humid during the day, but at least the last two or three nights have been cool enough to turn off the AC and open some windows. I am cautiously optimistic that the worst part of summer is over.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 09:30

I'm all stocked up. I grabbed a few packs of water last week when this thing formed, and I'm glad I did because water sold out across South Florida yesterday. I stopped by Target this morning to pick up a $10 battery-operated radio and they were rolling in pallets of water, so I guess the emergency resupply gears are turning. I also picked up a few days-worth of canned/shelf stable food yesterday.

We are located 20 miles inland (west end of Plantation, FL) on stable high ground so we should be good for the most part*. We're prepared to ride it out if it continues on its current path, which would mean we'd only get Tropical Storm Force winds and rain. If it does make a turn to hit us directly, which is entirely likely, we have a backup plan to retreat to my sister-in-law's house that features metal shutters and a 2nd floor (since our apartment complex does not provide shutters nor allow us to drill into the concrete for the purposes of plywood boarding) just in case a Houston-level flood event happens again.

Can't say I'm not starting to get a little concerned though...

*Well out of the storm surge evacuation zone by at least 15 miles.

EDIT: I sure would feel safer if we could board up our apartment though. We're on the first floor of a 3-story concrete building, so we don't have the risk of losing the roof like our sister-in-law has, but I suppose flying debris into windows is probably a greater threat than a Miami-Dade code roof being pulled off...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Sep 2017, 10:31

Can't you stabilize plywood to cover the windows from the inside without drilling holes?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Sep 2017, 10:44

You can get clips like this.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 11:01

the innominate one wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 10:31
Can't you stabilize plywood to cover the windows from the inside without drilling holes?
Possibly, but it wouldn't be nearly as strong on the inside. I put together the following sketch:

With both inside installations, you don't have the structure absorbing the force like you do with the outside installation, so all the force would be on the fasteners.

It might be worth it though, now that I've drawn it out. I have a stud finder so I can attach directly to wall studs if not the concrete block itself (I have a masonry bit but I'll need to pick up some tapcons). I suppose sticking with a spacing of 12" as recommended for the outside attachment would be sufficient. One possible snag is that the two windows have a stone sill lip overhanging on the inside bottom, but I suppose if I attach them flush with that, it should be sufficient.

Not sure how high winds might interact with this design, as I believe the outside attachment is designed to prevent wind from getting under the board and lifting them out...
Last edited by Taktix® on 05 Sep 2017, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 11:01

Mo wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 10:44
You can get clips like this.
Want! But all gone, can't find those anywhere...

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Sep 2017, 11:11

I understand why an outside installation of plywood is superior to an inside installation, but you said the former wasn't allowed. Therefore...

Wall studs are usually on 16" centers. A pocket compass or even a cell phone compass app can substitute for a stud finder for those lacking such.

Main goal: prevent flying glass and debris, so cover window openings with boards and reinforce with furniture.

Mo, I can't tell how those stay on, can you?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Sep 2017, 11:16

Looks like they flex a bit and use friction to stay on.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 11:19

My concern is if an inside attachment would be protection from debris or an extra piece of debris itself...

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Sep 2017, 11:24

Valid concern. If you're allowed to put up paintings using holes in interior walls, plywood seems legit. Strap across it with 2X4s anchored to studs.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 12:25

Per Home Depot customer service: the only difference between inside and outside is whether the windows are protected.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Sep 2017, 15:21

So, everything is on fire here in the West. At least we will be delicious smoked meat when civilization collapses and we have to feed on each other.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 15:44

Done. Managed to secure enough plywood and reinforcing 2"x4"s to cover the two windows and the sliding glass door, and some concrete anchors and shit.

There were... quite a few people doing the same. I'm kinda glad I got it over with because I could foresee everything running out by tonight. There was still plenty of plywood but it was going fast and I might have gotten the last concrete anchors of sufficient length to clear a 2"x4" (really 1 5/8" now!), a 5/8" layer of plywood, sheet rock, and still grab a good 1" to 1 1/2" of block.

It's getting pretty crazy down here though. Flashlights, batteries and propane were sold out at most places I saw and lots of people are walking around with that "oh fuck" look.

Also, glad we rightly didn't bank on my sister-in-law's offer of shelter. FPL is shutting off her power early because of a tree too close to power lines that the landlord has been refusing to fix, so they're seeking shelter elsewhere. Also, her son has a 103 fever, and the only thing worse than the aftermath of a hurricane is caring for sick children while being sick in the aftermath of a hurricane...

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2017, 16:23

I hope you and your family will be okay, Taktix. In addition to drinking water, don't forget to lay in lots of non-drinkable water in case you need it to flush toilets -- before the storm hits (if it does), plug and fill your bathtub, and any other buckets or tubs you might have. And mix a little bleach in with that water, to forestall microbes and other nasties from growing in it.

I'm sure you know this already, of course. I just want to feel like I'm being helpful. :?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2017, 16:39

Weird that your landlord doesn't already have pre-cut plywood or hurricane shutters or some sort of glass-protection stuff on hand, though. If I were a landlord in south Florida, I'd definitely want such things -- even if I didn't give a damn about my tenants, I would give a damn about my property.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Sep 2017, 16:53

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 15:21
So, everything is on fire here in the West. At least we will be delicious smoked meat when civilization collapses and we have to feed on each other.
Let's start by eating these assholes.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Sep 2017, 16:57

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I'm not lean meat, fyi.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Sep 2017, 17:00

the innominate one wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 16:57
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I'm not lean meat, fyi.
You think people want diet people? No they want the full flavor kind.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Sep 2017, 17:01

I'll clog your arteries.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2017, 20:11

We're about to get hit by a thunderstorm, but since I haven't been paying attention to weather patterns these past couple days, I have no idea if this is "our own" storm, or the last remnants of Harvey.

I went to the store today to buy more canned food -- not that I'm particularly worried about Irma or any other hurricane, but I figure it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and if hurricane season passes without incident it's all cans of stuff I wouldn't mind eating anyway on "too lazy to cook" days -- and was somewhat surprised to find the bottled-water aisle more than half-empty. I don't know if this is post-Harvey jitters, pre-Irma jitters, or just some weird coincidence.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Sep 2017, 20:23

This is about as close to "Holy fucking shit," as you're going to get from a NOAA scientist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Sep 2017, 20:34

Mo wrote:This is about as close to "Holy fucking shit," as you're going to get from a NOAA scientist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nedes moar librul artz!

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Sep 2017, 20:37

Irma's got a pretty tight center of circulation, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Sep 2017, 23:26

My brother in law up in the Jax exurbs said on twitter this evening that all the stores are out of gas and bottled water up by him.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2017, 00:42

Yikes. I'm glad you got your windows covered with plywood, Taktix.