How's the weather? v. 1.1

Eric the .5b

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jan 2018, 16:41

It's 26 degrees it's been snowing on and off for like eight hours. That, after quite a bit of rain. And it will stay freezing until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Snow on pavement is melting instantly, but everywhere else has a fluffy, slowly-deepening layer—rooftops, cars, plants, grass, bare ground, etc. And it's thicker than I've ever seen snow in Texas in my entire life. (And you should be hearing all this in a horrified, unnerved tone. This is unnatural! :D)

My postage-stamp backyard:

...Seriously, I keep glancing out the window and blinking at flakes coming down. The sighting of snow is a rare and amusing thing here, always brief and almost never showing anything on the ground. This has been constant.

Oh, man. And it's starting to accumulate on the concrete, around cars...

I'm glad I started on the prepper-food and bottled water.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jan 2018, 20:32

I recently re-watched the King of the Hill episode where it actually started snowing in Texas -- just a couple of flakes, no accumulation at all -- but everyone started freaking out and skidding their cars all over the parking lot and crashing into each other. If they saw Eric's near-Siberian backyard, Dale would recommend they start drawing up straws for cannibalism purposes. [Snicker]

We're supposed to get some possible snow or a "winter mix" in suburban Atlanta tonight/tomorrow, maybe. Jeff and I went out running errands today and saw the warnings on the electronic highway signs. Fortunately tomorrow is Jeff's day off anyway -- though I'm supposed to have a doctor's appointment, which I already canceled and re-scheduled from last week.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jan 2018, 13:58

I had to cancel my pinched-nerve doctor appointment again today because of the snow. Only an inch of snow and Atlanta SHUT DOWN. Around 11 this morning -- shortly after confirming that the doctor's office is indeed closed -- Jeff watched one of the news channels and discovered that even if we wanted to, it would've been legally impossible for us to visit any of the three grocery stores nearest us, because the (major) roads they're on were closed. Emergency vehicles only.

There is a chance Jeff will be unable to go to work tonight; the roads he needs in Atlanta itself are currently fine, but many of the roads he needs to get there in the first place are not.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Jan 2018, 15:01

inch of snow and md shuts down. (school was cancelled today in qac) they got a dusting in nola and they shut down.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Jan 2018, 15:07

There's still snow on the ground, here. Some of the ice of melting in the sun. As I'm headed in to work, I hope the roads stay drivable.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2018, 15:18

dhex wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 15:01
inch of snow and md shuts down. (school was cancelled today in qac) they got a dusting in nola and they shut down.
"Shut down" in MD is maybe overstating it. I'm at work and I'm about as snow risk averse as someone with a ton of leave saved up and sore and sleep deprived can be. Schools are just one thing, but I don't even think MD state government had liberal leave in effect today (I didn't get an email on my state account).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Jan 2018, 17:05

Everything here was open, though delays on more western and southern schools. Not here or in DC, though.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 17 Jan 2018, 18:31

Been above freezing for the last couple of days. Right now it's in the mid-40's.
To quote .5b "This is unnatural!"
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jan 2018, 18:55

we had school delays in Arlington (va)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Jan 2018, 16:38

It's 68F and breezy. I'm declaring winter in Texas officially over.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Jan 2018, 17:15

Forecast for today was 60 degrees, overcast, and 0% chance of rain. Perfect weather for a hike, so I did. Turns out that 0% was off by a few digits. Still a fantastic hike (perhaps even better due to the rain keeping amateurs away), but c'mon weather people. If you can't predict rain in Phoenix, you need to get a new job.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jan 2018, 21:38

I just got back from eating dinner and grabbing a few groceries.

In my shorts.

Then, I had to turn on the AC.

This is why we can't handle snow.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Jan 2018, 10:44

It's cold!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Jan 2018, 16:26

Pham Nuwen wrote:It's cold!
And fuckin gnarled out there. Snow event preceded by freezing drizzle that glazed everything in black ice. Went out last night to see what was what, and the driveway was damp but not glazed. Then I got a few feet further down and oh shot no I was wrong! Our driveway is steep enough that my feet were headed down. I was still upright though, and managed to get a hold of a big bit of ridiculous 70s molding on the snackstealer’s nonfunctional Mustang that’s mouldering in the driveway. It was glazed too, but was bulky enough I could keep from busting my ass.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jan 2018, 16:32

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 16:26
And fuckin gnarled out there. Snow event preceded by freezing drizzle that glazed everything in black ice. Went out last night to see what was what, and the driveway was damp but not glazed. Then I got a few feet further down and oh shot no I was wrong! Our driveway is steep enough that my feet were headed down. I was still upright though, and managed to get a hold of a big bit of ridiculous 70s molding on the snackstealer’s nonfunctional Mustang that’s mouldering in the driveway. It was glazed too, but was bulky enough I could keep from busting my ass.
You keep that shit. Shirtsleeve weather here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Jan 2018, 18:20

Warren wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 16:32
lunchstealer wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 16:26
You keep that shit. Shirtsleeve weather here.
Well that was us while you guys were all getting ZOMG pipe breaking weather. This one is turning into our first REAL snowfall of the year. We got a couple inches that stuck to roads a few weeks back, but I haven't been able to use the snow thrower yet. Once I used the actual shovel, two other times a broom to clear the sidewalk.

But I've been out to get the mail or take out the trash in t-shirt/shorts/barefoot a few times in the last few weeks, so I can't be jealous.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jan 2018, 19:47

It got up to 70 degrees here today. Couple days ago the cold was bad enough to burst water mains, and today I had all the doors and windows wide open and walked around in short sleeves.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jan 2018, 21:15

Was down in the Williamsburg (va) area last couple of days, and the weather was outstanding.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Jan 2018, 12:46

Kolohe wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 21:15
Was down in the Williamsburg (va) area last couple of days, and the weather was outstanding.
From what I've read, Colonial Williamsburg has fallen on hard times. Annual visits and amount spent are way down from a decade or two ago and there's serious concern whether or in what state it will be able to survive. Mind you, much of CW is overpriced lodging, high end restaurants and golf courses, and I have no particular sympathy over the survival of its "country club" amenities, but I'd hate to think DOG Street and the rest of the actual restored area might be threatened.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Jan 2018, 12:52

I didn't even go to the 'old town' this time (though my brother in law and his family did, but didn't do anything that required spending money on tickets). Went to one of the retiree developments north of town for a family friend's 50th anniversary, then the next day went to Jamestown (which was half open half closed due to the shutdown), followed by a ferry ride to Scotland and Smithfield.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Jan 2018, 17:08

Well, right now it's +12F. Today is predicted to be the warmest of the week as the clear skies return tomorrow night. We should hit below zero again by Wed early.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jan 2018, 21:07

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:46
Kolohe wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 21:15
From what I've read, Colonial Williamsburg has fallen on hard times. Annual visits and amount spent are way down from a decade or two ago and there's serious concern whether or in what state it will be able to survive. Mind you, much of CW is overpriced lodging, high end restaurants and golf courses, and I have no particular sympathy over the survival of its "country club" amenities, but I'd hate to think DOG Street and the rest of the actual restored area might be threatened.
cw is completely fucked.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 31 Jan 2018, 14:40

Four days in a row of gap winds. This is where we have a high pressure zone north of the Talkeetna or Chugiak mountain ranges and it forces air through the passes. It usually means a bit of warm up for us due to adiabatic warming albeit with high winds.
This time, "warm" is relative. On the flats where there is no warming it's hovering around 0 to -10F. Which means our "warm" temps are around +15 to +20 with 30mph steady winds and 50mph gusts. If I can figure out how to post it, I'll do a Wundermap to illustrate.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2018, 15:03

Fuck yes winter

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2018, 15:25

Sixty degrees and sunny where I am. Once again have windows open so my unheated top-floor apartment doesn't get too hot.