How's the weather? v. 1.1

Rachel

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Rachel » 01 Jan 2018, 20:10

(In NYC)

It's really not *that* cold out- woke up to 12 degrees, warmed up to 17 by 1pm (start of the Polar Bear Swim) If you put on a coat and hat, you're fine. The news just wants to be dramatic about something. Quit your bitching.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jan 2018, 07:47

My line for true cold is that your snot freezes when you go outside. We’ve had some cold days lately.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jan 2018, 12:50

Just hitting the melting point of ice as I wait for food. Hard freezes expected for the next couple of days. So very wrong.

I'm grateful for no expected rain.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jan 2018, 14:50

So we're supposed to get anywhere between 1 and 18 inches of snow on Thursday. Thanks for the precision guys.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Jan 2018, 15:47

Mo wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 14:50
So we're supposed to get anywhere between 1 and 18 inches of snow on Thursday. Thanks for the precision guys.
Welcome to Mid-Adlantic Weather where the forecast is made up and the numbers don't matter.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Jan 2018, 16:25

It really does amaze me, how much heat my top-floor (third-story) apartment gets from below. So long as the outdoor temperature is anywhere above freezing (even on overcast days with no sunlight), not only do I not need heat, I'll often have to crack open at least one window, to cool the place down a bit. (For that matter, I also do not need heat when the outdoor temperature is below freezing, but only by a degree or two.)

Had the heat on yesterday afternoon and all last night, for the first time this winter, due to a cold snap with daytime temps in the 20s and nighttime lows in the high teens. Woke up today; outside temperature is 35 degrees but sunny, and internal temperature was two degrees higher than the thermostat reading. So once again the heat is off and the window in my office is cracked open.

My next-door neighbor said he also rarely turns on his heat. And Jeff said a couple of his colleagues who live on the top floors of their respective buildings said similar things. I wonder if this is more or less standard for all top floors of modern multi-story apartment buildings?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Jan 2018, 17:40

Jennifer wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 16:25
It really does amaze me, how much heat my top-floor (third-story) apartment gets from below. So long as the outdoor temperature is anywhere above freezing (even on overcast days with no sunlight), not only do I not need heat, I'll often have to crack open at least one window, to cool the place down a bit. (For that matter, I also do not need heat when the outdoor temperature is below freezing, but only by a degree or two.)

Had the heat on yesterday afternoon and all last night, for the first time this winter, due to a cold snap with daytime temps in the 20s and nighttime lows in the high teens. Woke up today; outside temperature is 35 degrees but sunny, and internal temperature was two degrees higher than the thermostat reading. So once again the heat is off and the window in my office is cracked open.

My next-door neighbor said he also rarely turns on his heat. And Jeff said a couple of his colleagues who live on the top floors of their respective buildings said similar things. I wonder if this is more or less standard for all top floors of modern multi-story apartment buildings?
Yeah. My sister lives on the top floor of a five-story building in Boston. She almost never turns the heater on.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jan 2018, 19:23

Mo wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 14:50
That's not even a range we can roll on dice!

(Even Gamescience doesn't have a d18...)
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jan 2018, 19:39

I'm hoping our mini-split heat pump stops making unhappy noises when the temperature goes up. But I can understand it not liking temps in the teens.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Jan 2018, 20:43

Warmed up to +45 today. Granted, it's supposed to snow overnight but usually this time of year we are hovering right around 0F. Roadz will be shit for the next few days.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jan 2018, 11:22

Gandering Kwix's weather...I resent any part of Alaska being three degrees warmer than here in winter.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jan 2018, 11:30

I will admit that it's a pretty day, with not a single cloud except the little stub of a contrail behind a plane.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Jan 2018, 13:03

Prior to sunrise this morning, the sky was completely blanketed by cirrocumulus clouds with a very bright moon poking through. Pretty and not typical for Arizona.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jan 2018, 13:12

'Polar vortex', 'bomb cyclone', I swear to God people at the Weather Channel are just making up weird names for weather patterns because they're stuck inside and bored.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Jan 2018, 13:32

Mo wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:12
'Polar vortex', 'bomb cyclone', I swear to God people at the Weather Channel are just making up weird names for weather patterns because they're stuck inside and bored.
The National Weather Service apparently did studies revealing that more hyperbolic warnings get attention (hence the wild wording of the Katrina warning). They may be doing that so people don't just say "oh, so a front is coming through. big wup."

Also ratings.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 03 Jan 2018, 21:13

The useless NYC mayor called all public school closed for tomorrow around 7:30 PM. This means my office is closed. "Those who can work from home, should work from home." However, because of my job classification, I'm not allowed to work from home. I feel like a little kid for how excited I am to not have to deal with work tomorrow.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Jan 2018, 18:41

I trust all of the folks east of the Mississippi are safe and warm?
Woke up today to 0F. I love the wild temperature swings in the winter. By Tuesday we will probably hit -15 again.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jan 2018, 10:38

Safe, yes. Warm, not so much. The night was actually slightly warmer than expected, but we're talking about the difference between 1 degree and 7 degrees or so. Being out this morning was fine if you were dressed heavily enough for it, but there's no question that "dangerously cold" is a thing.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Jan 2018, 15:44

62F.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Jan 2018, 20:52

Some of the low temps we've been getting in the suburbs of Atlanta are cold enough to have justified complaints of a "cold snap" even if I were still in New England. (Mid-teens Fahrenheit. But at least we've not dropped to the single digits, I don't think.) I'm glad I brought all my hardcore cold-weather gear down here with me, because an (admittedly cursory) look at what local retailers have to offer suggests it's hard to find TRUE winter gear here.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jan 2018, 13:05

Time for an afternoon of playing chicken with the weather. It's raining, but will it freeze? It's below freezing, but is it getting warmer? There's a lot of salt on the road but will it get washed off?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Jan 2018, 13:07

Still no snow out here. Went hiking the 2nd and the 6th. Not snowshoeing. Not skiing. Hiking. There's not much snow out here for some reason.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jan 2018, 13:58

Pham Nuwen wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 13:07
Still no snow out here. Went hiking the 2nd and the 6th. Not snowshoeing. Not skiing. Hiking. There's not much snow out here for some reason.
Because the jet stream is avoiding you guys, and dumping all the air from Canada on the Eastern half of the US.

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Jan 2018, 08:05

Fourth consecutive school closing in QAC.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jan 2018, 19:07

Outdoor temps back up in the 60s today, and our apartment is back to "windows and patio door wide open."