How's the weather? v. 1.1

Jennifer

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:10

It's that time of year where the humidity is actually influencing my eating choices. (Remember: I live in a top-floor apartment these days, and the heat presumably leaking in from lower floors means I rarely turn on the heat, even when the outdoor temps are chilly enough to have required heat in every other place I've lived.) The temperature inside my place is fine -- low 70s -- but it is MISERABLY damp. Last night, I was going to make a certain yummy noodle dish I recently discovered -- but that would require boiling water, which would add STILL MORE humidity to the air. So instead, I made something requiring use of the oven -- not even because I wanted that extra heat in my place, but because the heat of the oven is extremely drying.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:32

You could run your AC while it's cooking. Typical heatpump ACs dehumidify as a side effect.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:42

Yeah, but I'd have to run the AC at a MUCH cooler temperature than I normally set it during actual hot season. I used to keep the AC at 78, but dropped it to 76 after taking certain prescriptions which are supposed to be stored at temps no higher than 77. Since chilly season started, the inside temperature on a non-sunny day has been around 72 or 73. Luckily, there are a lot of oven foods I genuinely like -- I learned to cook in New England, where for most of the year the extra heat from the oven was a welcome bonus -- so I'm glad that "oven season" has FINALLY come to north Georgia.

But that Indonesian noodle dish really IS yummy. Though I kinda wish I never learned about it, because I AM still trying to adhere to the "lower than usual for me carbs" diet, which was much easier before I learned about delicious new-to-me carb dishes.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2018, 19:39

This would be just for the duration of cooking/eating (the eating part to let it finish pulling out the moisture from boiling) so yeah you'd have to manually adjust the AC temp and then turn it off by hand, but if humidity is the problem that's a viable solution.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Nov 2018, 17:11

Are any members of the Gryll's California contingent in possible danger from those wildfires? I've been paying sporadic attention to the news channels, and those fires seem horrifying even by the already horrifying standards of western wildfires. (Saw a factoid on CNN last night/this morning: the "Camp Fire" is or was spreading at the rate of one football field every three seconds.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Nov 2018, 19:50

Jesus. I was quickly skimming through my Twitter feed, and at first I thought this was a still from some upcoming alien-invasion disaster movie.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Nov 2018, 15:38

So California is burning, whereas Georgia is chilly and overdamp, and a couple days ago we had actual flash flood warnings here. (Jeff and I actually had to postpone picking up my car from the repair shop because of that.) If this keeps up I'm going to become a Weather Communist: we must stamp out these gross inequalities, take from each according to their ability and give to each according to their need! Because I've about run out of ability to absorb any more moisture over here, but California could really really use it.

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Nov 2018, 16:20

2 days ago, weather predictions for tomorrow were 5-8 inches of snow. Yesterday, predictions were for 1-2 inches of snow. Now it's wintry mix.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 Nov 2018, 16:37

I hate November. In the last week we've gone from low single digits to freezing rain to 50F with all snow melted and now settling back down to a more seasonable mid 20s range. Once we freeze solid life gets so much easier.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Nov 2018, 19:13

After days of cold and rain, it's gotten cold and clear, with temperatures dipping below freezing at night. It's been a cold November, so far.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Nov 2018, 21:05

Waddaya mean 3-7 inches overnight? Monday's hasn't even melted off yet.
Hmph!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Nov 2018, 08:56

fuck this wintery mix. at least it'll be rain in a few hours.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Nov 2018, 09:30

It had been around 60 overnight for the past month, and then dropped to 42-45 in the last few days. Chilly for a run this morning.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2018, 09:53

Fuck me
Nov 2018 Snow.jpg
Nov 2018 Snow.jpg (224.54 KiB) Viewed 244 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Nov 2018, 10:21

So despite saying it would be all rain or dhex's "wintry mix" (which usually includes rain), all we've gotten today is snow and sleet, and the temp is 4 degrees lower than expected. This might turn out to be a problem.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2018, 10:35

Where's global warming when you need it? It's fucking November furchristsake.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 15 Nov 2018, 14:27

I confess that I pooh-poohed the warnings of snow, but it is coming down pretty heavily out there. It might even stick.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2018, 14:38

I am getting too old for this childish shit. But good snowman snow is a rare and transient thing, not to be neglected lightly.
Snowman 2018.jpg
Snowman 2018.jpg (315.89 KiB) Viewed 221 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Nov 2018, 14:41

Since I've gotta burn vacation anyway, I came home a couple hours early. It was crap driving. And not supposed to stop snowing / switch to rain until like 4 PM.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 16 Nov 2018, 09:50

I got on a bus leaving Port Authority at 3:45 yesterday afternoon. 7 hours later I got off the bus. It was one of the worst experiences ever. Our bus driver was completely heroic in his driving. We got stuck like 4 or 5 times. There were so many accidents and cars stuck or spun out along the Turnpike and Route 80. Port Authority and Penn Station closed, and there were armed guards preventing anyone from entering Port Authority (i don't know about Penn Station). The George Washington Bridge shut down after chaos and accidents. My tale is not unique, it happened to everyone in the area last night, and I am lucky my boss suggested I leave early. The bus that left after mine was the last bus out on my bus line, and this morning they're not even running buses because things got so fucked up last night.

Chris Christie is no longer governor, but people are blaming this on him, which is pretty great.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2018, 10:13

OMG Rachel how harrowing. I hope you have a cat to come home to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Nov 2018, 10:46

Dude. All I had to do yesterday outdoors, because I decided to take the MTA to LGA because a cab (at around 3:45!) would have been insane, was cross 8th Ave to the Port Authority. Our office is across the street. And I was actually scared because of how slippery it was that I was going to fall in the middle of 8th Ave. Wtf is that?

Then, yeah, the bus part was bad though nowhere near your levels of bad. But I’m still not home and I was stuck at the airport all night soooooo.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Nov 2018, 11:38

Yeah, it hit the NYC - New Haven corridor (and beyond, I'm sure) at the worst possible time. My usual 10 minute ride home took almost an hour. My boss, who lives about 45 minutes away, turned back and spent the night at the office.

Weird fucking storm.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Nov 2018, 11:46

My mom said it took her two hours to get from Darien to Norwalk yesterday afternoon.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Nov 2018, 11:54

Damn. I haven't been following the news, so I wasn't aware how bad it was. Take care of yourselves!!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex