How's the weather? v. 1.1

Eric the .5b

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Sep 2018, 16:33

Ugh. Best wishes for your BIL, Jennifer.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Sep 2018, 17:49

Jeff's brother isn't leaving until tomorrow morning. I hope that's not cutting things too close; if I had to evacuate from a coastal zone before a no-joke hurricane, I would assume traffic is going to be Atlanta-at-rush-hour levels of bad -- meaning if you are lucky, your car will move about as fast as a person taking a moderately brisk walk. Which in turn means you best leave a LOT earlier than you'd ordinarily need to. Hell, he could leave now and try to come here tonight -- even if we do lose power, and he needs to leave us and go someplace where he can refrigerate his medications, getting out of OUR neighborhood to someplace where the power's still on would probably be a hell of a lot easier than getting out of a coastal Carolina county. (Heck, with all the frozen bottles I have stuffed in the freezer, I could probably keep insulin fresh for up to two days after a power outage.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Sep 2018, 19:59

Obviously he should go to Disneyland.

(That's seriously what my parents did for Katrina. Traffic is always awful to the north and west, because that's "away" from the hurricane. Mom realized that landfall was like twelve hours away, and the strike zone was only a six hour drive wide. So they drove through the whole thing and spent the evacuation trip in Disneyworld, where there was plenty of hotel space, a kennel for the dog, and a way to distract my hyper-anxious sisters during the day).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Sep 2018, 21:43

Jeff said his brother is leaving with his church pastor to stay with the pastor's family in Augusta. So that's good. I just hope they're not leaving too late.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Sep 2018, 21:26

If they've left by now it should be okay. Augusta's probably a good bet, too, for power reliability, compared to any place in SC or NC. North and East Georgia aren't super guaranteed, but better than central SC.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2018, 16:54

Looks like Florence isn't going to touch us after all (in lieu of continuing to shit all over those poor people in the Carolinas). Current five-day forecast for my area calls for not a single drop of rain.

Good thing, too -- when I started taking some of the "emergency ice" out of the freezer this morning, I discovered that I badly miscalculated how much expansion room was needed to fill a certain one-gallon jug: the thing ended up splitting. Luckily, removing a giant misshapen one-gallon ice cube was not a problem, but it would've been very unpleasant to have discovered this after losing power.

I'm going to resume saving and washing Jeff's one-liter soda bottles, which are MUCH better than those oddly shaped gallon jugs for ice storage.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Sep 2018, 23:00

I am putting this here mainly because Hurricane Florence proved the icing on the shitcake.

It is not just Baseball, Hockey, Football, Basketball and Soccer that manage to blow government money on Sports Venues, but now Equestrian Sports have gotten in on the act:

The Town of Tryon, North Carolina was on the downward slope. What better way to perk it up than a prestigious international sporting event that appeals to the International Elite®? The World Equestrian Games (aka WEG).

The town blew a load of money building special facilities for WEG. A few details were overlooked:
1) The Endurance Course was incomplete. The sections completed were turned to mush by the rain.
2) As a result of 1), the Endurance competition had to be cancelled.*
3) Organizers did not even begin organizing volunteers (an essential part of such events) until two months before WEG. People who had signaled their wish to volunteer many months before were not contacted until two months ago, by which time the prospective volunteers, having heard nothing, made other plans.
4) Because Tryon was small, there were not enough hotel rooms to house the thousands of visitors. Of course, nobody, not even Trump, is going to build a hotel for a one-time event. Fans of equestrian sports had to try to find accommodation far away from the venue. Many could not, so they did not come.
5) Those that did buy tickets found that the local hotels, Airbnbs, whatever, jacked up the rates, including the usual 'cancel the reservation made earlier and offer the same room at a higher price' shenanigans. Those volunteers the organizers did arrange for had to compete with the paying guests for accommodation.
6) Those that did find accommodation had to wait in interminable bus queues to get to their events.
7) The organizers made a wish that the normal rain for the time of year would not happen, instead they got Florence.
8) Because of Florence, many events were delayed and the Gran Prix Freestyle, which are the culminating and showcase event of the dressage competition, had to be cancelled.

Congratulations, Tryon, NC! You made it to the big leagues!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Oct 2018, 14:52

Autumn in Atlanta: daytime high temperatures in the upper 80s or lower 90s, but the "cool" nights get as "low" as the upper 60s.

At least it's cool enough that the giant night beetles no longer make their appearances.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2018, 15:26

Emptying out the fridge and freezer via eating all the best foods therein is the only hurricane-prep task I actually enjoy.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Oct 2018, 11:22

We have a friend in Tallahassee. Herself is trying to contact to see what he's doing. Seeing as of right now projected landfall is right about there, if he ain't left by now he may be fucked.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Oct 2018, 15:39

Shit. I hope he IS out of there, trog.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Oct 2018, 19:52

tr0g wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:22
We have a friend in Tallahassee. Herself is trying to contact to see what he's doing. Seeing as of right now projected landfall is right about there, if he ain't left by now he may be fucked.
Yeah, that doesn't look like fun, although as long as he's got an interior room in a real house, and isn't likely to get river flooding, he should be okay. Doesn't look like this is going to be one of the wettest events from the standpoint of water.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Oct 2018, 12:50

As it turns out, he was in Baton Rouge for work. He's not weighed down by material possessions (read that as: dirt broke and doesn't have much stuff) so most of his important things are in Louisiana with him. I'm just glad he's safe and watching the chaos from afar.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2018, 13:35

tr0g wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 12:50
As it turns out, he was in Baton Rouge for work. He's not weighed down by material possessions (read that as: dirt broke and doesn't have much stuff) so most of his important things are in Louisiana with him. I'm just glad he's safe and watching the chaos from afar.
Unfortunately, it's still Baton Rouge. *rimshot*
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2018, 18:13

Storm/emergency prep is the one aspect of life where I can't really complain about effort being wasted; I am of course very glad that the preparations I made for a possible Hurricane Michael strike turned out to be unnecessary. (We did get some pretty intense rain, but not bad enough to flood the water system and result in a boil-water advisory, let alone lose water altogether.) Still, THIS is what my floor currently looks like. (The photo does not show the equally bottle-cluttered tabletops and countertops.) And even though I know this water is unnecessary, I don't want to dump it out just yet because we're supposed to have a repairman come by tomorrow to fix a now-broken faucet in one bathroom (our water was shut off yesterday for reasons unrelated to the storm; some poor woman living on the first floor of our building had her pipes burst and flood her apartment, so of course they had to shut off water to the whole building for repairs, and when the water finally came back the faucet in our "main" bathroom stubbornly refused to get anywhere near full pressure). Right now, as bad as this looks, it is clearly "a supply of emergency water." But when I empty out the bottles it will take upwards of two days for the insides to evaporate completely dry so I can re-cap them and put them back in the bags hanging from our storage-closet ceiling, and during those two days they'll look like "A whole bunch of garbage bottles and bottletops covering the floor, tables and counters."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Nov 2018, 12:20

Winter took its sweet time getting here, but here it is. Last week we were in the mid 50s for highs and skirting the freezing mark for lows. Monday dumped 2-8" of snow on us. This morning it's a clear and brisk 8F.

When Indians take back summer they don't screw around.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 02 Nov 2018, 13:23

Last week it was 30 degrees, now it's 70 degrees and humid. All the more reason to stay indoors forever.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2018, 19:35

Rachel wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 13:23
Last week it was 30 degrees, now it's 70 degrees and humid. All the more reason to stay indoors forever.
The stupid Greens, constantly whining about "climate change", keep hindering the project to pave over the planet and eliminate the outdoors.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Nov 2018, 06:35

High humidity manages to make all unpleasant temperatures worse: hot weather feels hotter and cold weather feels colder. Yesterday was in the mid-50s, which in dry New England autumn would be pleasantly brisk, but the relative humidity was somewhere in the 90s and the chill went right through to the bone.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 03 Nov 2018, 11:30

Jennifer wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 06:35
High humidity manages to make all unpleasant temperatures worse: hot weather feels hotter and cold weather feels colder. Yesterday was in the mid-50s, which in dry New England autumn would be pleasantly brisk, but the relative humidity was somewhere in the 90s and the chill went right through to the bone.
Another reason I left my home state, never to return.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2018, 21:14

Seriously, with strategic clothing, it's easy to be comfortable in Colorado from 20F to 90F and not that hard to be comfortable-adjacent in the next +/- 10F at either end.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2018, 21:34

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 21:14
Seriously, with strategic clothing, it's easy to be comfortable in Colorado
Maybe if you live in a gated community.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Nov 2018, 01:40

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 21:14
Seriously, with strategic clothing, it's easy to be comfortable in Colorado from 20F to 90F and not that hard to be comfortable-adjacent in the next +/- 10F at either end.
I don't doubt it at all. I've personally had the experience of being miserably chilly in Georgia, in temperatures well above freezing (40s), wearing the same clothes and winter gear which, in New England, kept me perfectly comfortable in temps as low as 15 degrees. And that's wearing wool, not moisture-hoarding cotton.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 04 Nov 2018, 11:54

I wear a simple hoodie most of the winter. I used to wear flip flops a lot but the last two years have seen them turned into playthings for the boys and alas destroyed. Don't tell JasonL that last part. I want to continue disappointing him.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Nov 2018, 17:57

Solitudinarian wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 11:30
Jennifer wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 06:35
Another reason I left my home state, never to return.
From the southeast I take it?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie