How's the weather? v. 1.1

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9029
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by nicole » 18 Jun 2018, 11:39

so. mf. hot. I can't wait to move to the first floor/basement. 81 in my office now with the AC doing as much as it can.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10406
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by JD » 18 Jun 2018, 13:40

Supposed to be pretty bad today. We've covered up all the windows and even put a mylar "space blanket" in the skylight, and set up a second portable AC. It's a bit depressing that when it's brightest and most summery, we have to make the apartment as dark as possible, but at least it keeps the cats from melting.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24610
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2018, 13:43

nicole wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 11:39
so. mf. hot. I can't wait to move to the first floor/basement. 81 in my office now with the AC doing as much as it can.
fuuuu... I hope you told them where to stick their dress code and are working in your underware.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9029
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by nicole » 18 Jun 2018, 14:06

Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 13:43
nicole wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 11:39
so. mf. hot. I can't wait to move to the first floor/basement. 81 in my office now with the AC doing as much as it can.
fuuuu... I hope you told them where to stick their dress code and are working in your underware.
My office is in my apartment
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11536
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Ellie » 18 Jun 2018, 14:08

Well then I assume you work in your underwear all the time.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24610
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2018, 14:14

Ellie wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 14:08
Well then I assume you work in your underwear all the time.
With a cold water foot bath and a piña colada.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22798
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2018, 14:33

According to the 10-day forecast, 72 degrees is the coolest the outdoors is ever going to get, and that during the coolest part of the night/earliest morning. Highs in the 90s or uppermost 80s. Also, today's relative humidity of 51 percent is the driest we'll get for the next ten days, too. I now have enough experience to confidently say "Next month is going to be even worse."

Fuckin' Georgia, man.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Kwix » 19 Jun 2018, 19:26

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 14:33
According to the 10-day forecast, 72 degrees is the coolest the outdoors is ever going to get, and that during the coolest part of the night/earliest morning. Highs in the 90s or uppermost 80s. Also, today's relative humidity of 51 percent is the driest we'll get for the next ten days, too. I now have enough experience to confidently say "Next month is going to be even worse."

Fuckin' Georgia, man.
Wait til summer gets there. :twisted:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22798
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2018, 14:33

Kwix wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:26
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 14:33
According to the 10-day forecast, 72 degrees is the coolest the outdoors is ever going to get, and that during the coolest part of the night/earliest morning. Highs in the 90s or uppermost 80s. Also, today's relative humidity of 51 percent is the driest we'll get for the next ten days, too. I now have enough experience to confidently say "Next month is going to be even worse."

Fuckin' Georgia, man.
Wait til summer gets there. :twisted:
I know. Barring a Yellowstone explosion followed by worldwide volcanic winter, next month is going to be even worse, and the month after that worse still. At least now, the nighttime temperatures eventually drop low enough to turn off the AC and open the windows for a few hours (which does not cool the inside of my place at all, but at least replaces stale air with fresh), but I've been here long enough to know that in a few weeks even THAT will stop happening. "AC is set at 77, and it's 79 degrees outside at three o'clock in the fucking morning."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Kwix » 20 Jun 2018, 18:41

Jennifer wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:33
Kwix wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:26
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 14:33
According to the 10-day forecast, 72 degrees is the coolest the outdoors is ever going to get, and that during the coolest part of the night/earliest morning. Highs in the 90s or uppermost 80s. Also, today's relative humidity of 51 percent is the driest we'll get for the next ten days, too. I now have enough experience to confidently say "Next month is going to be even worse."

Fuckin' Georgia, man.
Wait til summer gets there. :twisted:
I know. Barring a Yellowstone explosion followed by worldwide volcanic winter, next month is going to be even worse, and the month after that worse still. At least now, the nighttime temperatures eventually drop low enough to turn off the AC and open the windows for a few hours (which does not cool the inside of my place at all, but at least replaces stale air with fresh), but I've been here long enough to know that in a few weeks even THAT will stop happening. "AC is set at 77, and it's 79 degrees outside at three o'clock in the fucking morning."
There's a reason folks in the south talk so slow. It's. Too. Damn. Hot.
Seriously, everything slows down except the kudzu.

Side note, kudzu is an edible.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16083
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jun 2018, 18:41

I got nailed by a hailstorm yesterday. Just quarter sized, but I was out at an appointment and there wasn't any shelter to park under. It's in that gray area where if you're far enough away, you can't see the dents, but the second one catches the light right, you notice it and then you start to see more. If it was worse, I'd definitely make a claim against my comprehensive (which only has a $50 copay) and if it was better I definitely wouldn't.

Nowhere near like the horrorshow that Pham dealt with last year. But still this seems apt:


WeedVsHailColorado.jpg
WeedVsHailColorado.jpg (101.44 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Kwix » 20 Jun 2018, 19:12

Get a quote for paintless dent removal and see where that breaks out on your insurance scale. Unless you don't intend on reselling the car in which case, unless the paint cracked, F it.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16083
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jun 2018, 21:32

I tend to keep cars barring problems with utility or unreliability, so I'm unlikely to worry about the hit to resale now. But my deductible on comprehensive is super low, so it's a question of whether it's a hassle, and whether it might push my insurance rates up. Probably not because my guess is that paintless dent removal is pretty damned cheap. And my car is still new enough to be all pretty and the dents make me just a little bit sad.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22798
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jun 2018, 18:41

lunchstealer wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 21:32
I tend to keep cars barring problems with utility or unreliability, so I'm unlikely to worry about the hit to resale now. But my deductible on comprehensive is super low, so it's a question of whether it's a hassle, and whether it might push my insurance rates up. Probably not because my guess is that paintless dent removal is pretty damned cheap. And my car is still new enough to be all pretty and the dents make me just a little bit sad.
Are you in or around Aurora? We're getting slammed by a pretty harsh storm here now, so Jeff has the Weather Channel on, and I just saw the announcement that there's a threat of baseball-sized hail in that part of Colorado. :shock:
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Kwix » 22 Jun 2018, 19:08

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 18:41
lunchstealer wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 21:32
I tend to keep cars barring problems with utility or unreliability, so I'm unlikely to worry about the hit to resale now. But my deductible on comprehensive is super low, so it's a question of whether it's a hassle, and whether it might push my insurance rates up. Probably not because my guess is that paintless dent removal is pretty damned cheap. And my car is still new enough to be all pretty and the dents make me just a little bit sad.
Are you in or around Aurora? We're getting slammed by a pretty harsh storm here now, so Jeff has the Weather Channel on, and I just saw the announcement that there's a threat of baseball-sized hail in that part of Colorado. :shock:
The front range is a harsh mistress.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16083
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2018, 00:11

Kwix wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:08
Jennifer wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 18:41
lunchstealer wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 21:32
I tend to keep cars barring problems with utility or unreliability, so I'm unlikely to worry about the hit to resale now. But my deductible on comprehensive is super low, so it's a question of whether it's a hassle, and whether it might push my insurance rates up. Probably not because my guess is that paintless dent removal is pretty damned cheap. And my car is still new enough to be all pretty and the dents make me just a little bit sad.
Are you in or around Aurora? We're getting slammed by a pretty harsh storm here now, so Jeff has the Weather Channel on, and I just saw the announcement that there's a threat of baseball-sized hail in that part of Colorado. :shock:
The front range is a harsh mistress.
Ain't she just.

Aurora isn't far from me. We didn't get anything at all today, but Aurora's one of those places that snakes all over the east part of Denver metro with weird annexes and such, so could be 10 or 20 miles away, and these things can be half-mile-wide tracks or less. I wanna say that Pham had a car get close to totaled by hail last year or the year before.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22798
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jul 2018, 00:02

One minute after midnight.

Seventy-nine fucking degrees outside.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6795
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jadagul » 01 Jul 2018, 00:23

My AC gave out this week. It's 86 the apartment pretty continually. And there's not much ventilation because you don't need much of that with a central air system. (The central fan system still works, but that's...not enough).

The management loaned me a portable AC unit, and I have fans, so I'm not going to die of heat stroke or anything. But it's quite annoying.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22798
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jul 2018, 01:08

Ugh. I can empathize. Is it humid, or a dry heat? If it's dry, you can use one of your fans and either a damp cloth or a pan of water to set up a makeshift swamp cooler. (Or so I've read; I've never actually lived in a dry-heat climate to test it out.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10406
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by JD » 02 Jul 2018, 13:19

Pretty bad the last few days. With two portable AC units, and keeping all of the windows covered with heavy curtains, and the skylight covered with two layers of mylar "space blanket", we've managed to keep the apartment to about 80. I've been taking the plants out of the front window for most of the day lest they cook in the heat.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6795
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Jadagul » 02 Jul 2018, 18:22

JD wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 13:19
Pretty bad the last few days. With two portable AC units, and keeping all of the windows covered with heavy curtains, and the skylight covered with two layers of mylar "space blanket", we've managed to keep the apartment to about 80. I've been taking the plants out of the front window for most of the day lest they cook in the heat.
Ugh, sounds like you have it worse than I do.

At least it's not getting that much above 80 this week, so I can mostly just leave the windows open, and only run the portable AC during the middle of the day. (Like now).

Still annoying, and I would like my AC fixed.

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 137
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Tuco » 03 Jul 2018, 06:44

Dry, dry, dry. Hot. And dry.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14614
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2018, 10:27

The weather here has been great: Sunny with a few clouds, low-to-mid 20s (low 70s in USIAN temps), light breezes, occasional sprinkles.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16083
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jul 2018, 12:01

Tuco wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 06:44
Dry, dry, dry. Hot. And dry.
Yeah, and it smells like a camping trip today.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

Post by Kwix » 03 Jul 2018, 18:59

We are in a heat wave. Mid 80s yesterday, today and likely tomorrow. Our average for this time of year is 70 so this is hot for us. If it keeps up the damn broccoli is going to bolt.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests