There's a Word for That

thoreau

Re: There's a Word for That

Post by thoreau » 09 Dec 2011, 20:23

Jadagul wrote:Thoreau: Jason's point is sometimes which candidates you're okay with having in office depend on which other candidates are in office. The classic example is the libertarian desire for gridlock--a number of people here will prefer a democrat for president if and only if republicans control congress.
1) Jason, is that your point? Jadagul is reading you that way, but I'm not.

2) I don't see how having more than 2 parties complicates your calculations so much. If I can elect somebody who is more or less in my direction on a broad range of issues, I know that he'll have to compromise, but at least I know something about where he'll be trying to get to in the compromise. OTOH, if I elect somebody who moves in a direction opposite mine on (at least) half of the issues, I never know whether his compromises will be to partially advance the part of his agenda that I agree with, or if his compromises will be to sacrifice the part that I agree with so he can advance the part that I disagree with.

Regarding the checks and balances aspect, if I elect an executive in a system with 3+ parties, I might not know for sure whether he'll face an opposition legislature, but at least the odds of him having a majority are lower. The odds might go up for him having a working majority on some subset of issues, but the odds of unified, across-the-board majority support go down substantially. And if I elect a legislator in a system with 3+ parties, again, I might not know whom he'll have to compromise with, but at least I know that he won't be compromising to advance the part of his agenda that I disagree with at the expense of the part that I do agree with.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Dec 2011, 21:29

GinSlinger wrote:
Jadagul wrote:Ginslinger: I think the issues are much smaller if it's, say, distribute four votes among the school board members. I was responding to the suggestion of trading of votes for school board against votes for president, which sounds like a horrible idea.
I'd wager serious donuts that the bulk of voters throw away their votes at the top of their ballots. You've seen full election results, yes? This is about rewarding (even for "special interests"--like "liberatians") those who vote economically.
If I understand what you mean by it properly, I agree that most voters throw away the votes at the top of the ballot. But that's what worries me; I suspect under the dot system most people would toss all their votes at the presidential race and maybe congress, and leave it really easy for a small group to dominate the local races which are actually more important.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Dec 2011, 21:53

T, jadagul gets at part of the concern. It kind of goes to this.

"The main difference between Approval and the current system is that there's room for a third option to climb in the polls without the problem of people refusing to back him on the grounds that he can't win."

What the connection between the decision the voter is making in the booth and the range of outcomes when they vote yes multiple times? The voter is not making choices that involve explicit tradeoffs. They are choosing A and B and C, but that outcome won't happen. The system of aggregating votes is doing all the heavy lifting, but without any single voter explicitly choosing A and not B.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2018, 20:30

I believe there is a word for a real person portrayed in fiction, but given another name. eg: The story has a 'fictional' person who unmistakably is Barbara Streisand or Donald Trump, but they are given another name.

Anyone with better vocabulary recall?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2018, 21:55

Aresen wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 20:30
I believe there is a word for a real person portrayed in fiction, but given another name. eg: The story has a 'fictional' person who unmistakably is Barbara Streisand or Donald Trump, but they are given another name.

Roman a clef. With a backwards-accent mark over the second a.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jun 2018, 00:07

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 21:55
Aresen wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 20:30

Roman a clef. With a backwards-accent mark over the second a.
Thanks, Jennifer. I'd forgotten "Roman à clef", but I thought there was a specific word for the type of character him/herself.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Jun 2018, 00:30

I would have said "Expy" but that's the TV Tropes word for a fictional character who is unmistakably another fictional character. Their term is "No Celebrities Were Harmed" which is rather clunky.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jun 2018, 08:02

Just consulted with the oracle and there's no specific term for it because most characters were/are based on real people in part, including celebrities.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jul 2018, 18:06

Is there a specific term for when someone is asking you for advice but then keeps relentlessly shooting down every idea you offer? I feel like I've seen a word for it somewhere.

(I have a friend doing that right now and I'm at the point of saying, "Fine, then be fucking miserable." Sigh.)

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jul 2018, 18:10

Ellie wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 18:06
Is there a specific term for when someone is asking you for advice but then keeps relentlessly shooting down every idea you offer? I feel like I've seen a word for it somewhere.

(I have a friend doing that right now and I'm at the point of saying, "Fine, then be fucking miserable." Sigh.)
I don't know if there's a word, but there's a 100% sure chance that they already know what they want to do, and you're not giving them the "right" answer, so they keep fishing for confirmation of what they wanted to do before they even asked you. This happens all the time with "car guys" who get asked for recommendations. "Hey, which car should I get?" and you then give them a bunch of good possibilities, and they shoot them all down because they wanted you to say "Yeah, I think that shit-brown 1984 Citroen diesel that you mentioned would be a great car for you to buy in Kansas!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Jul 2018, 18:37

Ellie wrote:

Yeah, that's like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you already paid. I can't think of a word for it though.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2018, 19:15

The story you are about to read is true. Only the foods have been changed to protect the indulgent.

"I Require Sustenance"

A Play in One Act

lunchwife: I'M HUNGRY

lunchthief: With what victuals may I serve you?

lunchwife: What do we have?

lunchthief: There is leftover lasagna, cereal, I could make a sandwich...

lunchwife: What else is there?

lunchthief: bananas, ice cream sandwiches...

lunchwife: None of that sounds good, what else?

lunchthief: I could make spaghetti, there's popcorn, I think snackstealer left some ramen...

lunchwife: What else? I'm hungry but none of that sounds good.

lunchthief: Are you sure you're hungry? Because hungry people generally want food, and I've listed a bunch of foods that you eat, and you don't want them.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jul 2018, 19:20

Ellie wrote:

Narcissist

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jul 2018, 20:30

I think she wants me to come up with a magic solution that requires no effort on her part whatsoever. Actual email conversation from today:

Her: I'm so lonely. I haven't talked to another adult in days. (she's a single mom and her job is teaching violin to kids)

Her, in a different email thread: I'm really into steampunk lately. Is there something fun we could do?

Me: Here's a local steampunk group! (link)

Her: Their meetups are all really far away. I don't want to drive that far.

Me: Well, they're part of the bigger local geek group. We could go to their ice cream social. That's close by.

Her: I don't like ice cream.

Me: *stops responding to the thread at this point*

Her: I'm lonely because nobody wants to date me. Because I'm a single mom with kids.

Me: *not pointing out the obvious*

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jul 2018, 23:20

Ellie wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 20:30
I think she wants me to come up with a magic solution that requires no effort on her part whatsoever. Actual email conversation from today:

Her: I'm so lonely. I haven't talked to another adult in days. (she's a single mom and her job is teaching violin to kids)

Her, in a different email thread: I'm really into steampunk lately. Is there something fun we could do?

Me: Well, they're part of the bigger local geek group. We could go to their ice cream social. That's close by.

Her: I'm lonely because nobody wants to date me. Because I'm a single mom with kids.

And people ask why I support abortion on command.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2018, 23:30

Aresen wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 23:20
Ellie wrote:

And people ask why I support abortion on command.
ISWYDT
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jul 2018, 23:37

It's the third option, which has been unfairly excluded from the public debate.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Jul 2018, 10:11

Ellie wrote:

Gee, that sounds familiar.

Person A: I'm hungry. Let's get something to eat.
Person B: We could go to Place X -
A: Too crowded.
B: We could go to Place Y -
A: Too douchey.
B: We could go to Place Z -
A: They don't have working air conditioning.
B: Place M?
A: Seriously?
B: *sullen stare*
A: *sullen stare*

It usually ends with Person B getting something to eat anyway after Person A has shot down every single possible option, so fuck it, and then Person A throwing a sulking fit.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Jul 2018, 13:45

Person B: *having been through this before* Cool. Hop in the car; if you come up with a place you want to go before we arrive at Place X, we'll go where you want to go. Otherwise we're eating at Place X.
A: But I don't want to eat at Place X!
B: Then you'd better decide where you do want to eat, dontcha think?
A: *files for divorce*
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jul 2018, 15:16

Ellie wrote:
I think she wants me to come up with a magic solution that requires no effort on her part whatsoever.
If she lived in Connecticut rather than Minnesota or parts thereby, I'd introduce her to my squandering-inheritance acquaintance on Facebook. Sounds like they have a lot in common.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 03 Jul 2018, 19:04

Jake wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 13:45
The only winning move is not to play.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 04 Jul 2018, 08:29

Kwix wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 19:04
Jake wrote:
The only winning move is not to play.
This guy gets it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2018, 12:02

Jake wrote:
Person B: *having been through this before* Cool. Hop in the car; if you come up with a place you want to go before we arrive at Place X, we'll go where you want to go. Otherwise we're eating at Place X.
A: But I don't want to eat at Place X!
B: Then you'd better decide where you do want to eat, dontcha think?
OMGWTFBBQ THIS
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2018, 16:22

When Jeff and I first moved in together, the only answers he'd give to the question "What restaurant to you want to go to?" were either "Where would you like to go?" or "It's up to you." On his first birthday since we'd moved in together, I offered to take him out for dinner, asked where he'd like to go and added "If you say 'It's up to me' then I'm taking us to Chuck E. Cheese. And choosing a booth next to the loudest, largest group of kids there, too." So he wisely chose an Irish-style pub instead.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Jul 2018, 03:57

Ellie wrote:
Aha! I misremembered the definition a bit, but I knew I'd seen a meme somewhere.