Words I Happen to Dislike

Ellie

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Ellie »

"Narc" as shorthand for "narcissist." My favorite parenting Facebook group has a subgroup for single parents, and it took me wayyyyy too long to realize when people complained about their "narc exes" that they didn't mean they'd been married to tattletales.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I hate when British/Australian/New Zealander people say "homely" to mean cozy and comfortable, i.e. what we Americans would call "homey." I know it's not WRONG (like the way so many people type "weary of" when they mean "wary of") but it drives me bananas. "Oh, I love your cabin, it's so ugly!"
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Yeah
AMERICAN MOTHERFUCKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jake

Post by Jake »

Ellie wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 11:00 I hate when British/Australian/New Zealander people say "homely" to mean cozy and comfortable, i.e. what we Americans would call "homey." I know it's not WRONG (like the way so many people type "weary of" when they mean "wary of") but it drives me bananas. "Oh, I love your cabin, it's so ugly!"
I first encountered that in Tolkien; Elrond's home is named "The Last Homely House", which, as a kid, I thought was odd. "There are much nicer houses further along, but this is the last shitty hovel you'll encounter!"
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

"Spook", as in the Stirmer-derived "X is a spook" rhetorical construct where someone complains that people care about and adhere to some abstract concept the speaker dislikes. It's just so inane and precious.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

In the Navy a "spook" was someone that worked in the cryptography room.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT