Words I Happen to Dislike

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6775
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Andrew » 03 Dec 2018, 11:07

Dopesick
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Warren » 03 Dec 2018, 11:19

Andrew wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 11:07
Dopesick
Because Amazon?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17670
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jan 2019, 12:38

'yea'

If you mean yay type yay. If you mean yeah type yeah. If you type 'yea' I have no idea which you mean.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14060
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jan 2019, 13:12

Beware, you'll make enemies in the Senate
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17670
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jan 2019, 14:28

Kolohe wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 13:12
Beware, you'll make enemies in the Senate
I will accept the amendment that 'yea' means 'aye' or 'yes' in voting contexts and that I dislike its use in all other contexts. It's the they'retheretheir of y-words that aren't your/you're.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13368
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Highway » 14 Jan 2019, 16:14

I just figure it always means yeah if it's spelled "yea". I've never seen anyone who meant "yay!" with that spelling.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6811
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Dangerman » 14 Jan 2019, 17:15

The worst is that lately I've been seeing people use 'y' to mean yes/yeah, which is bad because my mind processes that as 'yee' and also because people use it to mean 'why?' so it's obnoxious and confusing.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17670
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jan 2019, 21:07

y u no put es on yes?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17670
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jan 2019, 21:07

Highway wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 16:14
I just figure it always means yeah if it's spelled "yea". I've never seen anyone who meant "yay!" with that spelling.
But as has been pointed out it is a word that is pronounced 'yay' so that's a thing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12680
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Ellie » 14 Jan 2019, 21:24

I don't dislike it per se, but I always think the word "frontage" sounds dirty. :lol: Too close to "[full] frontal" and "frottage" for my brain.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3147
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Number 6 » 14 Jan 2019, 22:45

Ellie wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 21:24
I don't dislike it per se, but I always think the word "frontage" sounds dirty. :lol: Too close to "[full] frontal" and "frottage" for my brain.
It occurs to me that the second requires the first.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11293
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by JD » 23 Jan 2019, 12:39

Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24938
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Mo » 23 Jan 2019, 12:43

Because pot belly will get you slapped.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2019, 14:53

JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:39
Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
It's perfectly descriptive and unambiguous. What's the alternative?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6775
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Andrew » 23 Jan 2019, 16:05

Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 14:53
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:39
Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
It's perfectly descriptive and unambiguous. What's the alternative?
Parasite pooch.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11293
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by JD » 23 Jan 2019, 17:15

Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 14:53
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:39
Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
It's perfectly descriptive and unambiguous. What's the alternative?
Not talking like a cover of Cosmopolitan or Us Weekly.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2019, 17:16

JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 17:15
Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 14:53
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:39
Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
It's perfectly descriptive and unambiguous. What's the alternative?
Not talking like a cover of Cosmopolitan or Us Weekly.
And the word/phrase you would use in its place would be...?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11293
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by JD » 23 Jan 2019, 18:03

Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 17:16
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 17:15
Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 14:53
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:39
Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
It's perfectly descriptive and unambiguous. What's the alternative?
Not talking like a cover of Cosmopolitan or Us Weekly.
And the word/phrase you would use in its place would be...?
I guess "belly", which strikes me as a perfectly normal, non-twee word.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24938
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Mo » 23 Jan 2019, 19:42

JD wrote:
Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 17:16
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 17:15
Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 14:53
JD wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:39
Not one word, but a phrase: "baby bump". What are we, five years old?
It's perfectly descriptive and unambiguous. What's the alternative?
Not talking like a cover of Cosmopolitan or Us Weekly.
And the word/phrase you would use in its place would be...?
I guess "belly", which strikes me as a perfectly normal, non-twee word.
But you can get a belly from a number of causes. Baby bump tells you what the cause of the belly is. And baby belly could easily apply postpartum.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17670
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jan 2019, 11:30

"Visibly in the baby way."

Or we just don't speak of it at all, because we don't acknowledge such things.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9923
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by nicole » 24 Jan 2019, 11:56

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:30
"Visibly in the baby way."

Or we just don't speak of it at all, because we don't acknowledge such things.
This

People only say "baby bump" because they're glorifying it

ETA I mean it's revolting to talk about the "bump," if you need to say someone is pregnant you say they're pregnant. Why would you talk about the "bump." It's just like...obviously disgusting.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16122
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by dhex » 24 Jan 2019, 12:00

baby bump is the linguistic mayonnaise of grylliade
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24938
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Mo » 24 Jan 2019, 12:16

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:30
"Visibly in the baby way."

Or we just don't speak of it at all, because we don't acknowledge such things.
Look, no one talks about how you can see the baby moving around when the >7 month pregnant woman is giving a presentation because it's creepy AF.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17670
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jan 2019, 14:09

Mo wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 12:16
lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 11:30
"Visibly in the baby way."

Or we just don't speak of it at all, because we don't acknowledge such things.
Look, no one talks about how you can see the baby moving around when the >7 month pregnant woman is giving a presentation because it's creepy AF.
Although not as creepy as the chanting.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6811
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Dangerman » 24 Jan 2019, 14:34

Baby bump was invented so tabloids could talk about royalty crotch fruit.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests