Words I Happen to Dislike

Post Reply
User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by pistoffnick » 15 Nov 2011, 18:09

hubby
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18351
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Nov 2011, 18:22

pistoffnick wrote:hubby
I'll see you and raise you wifey.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24477
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by JasonL » 15 Nov 2011, 18:47

Webinar is a liguistic abortion.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19155
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Nov 2011, 18:56

JasonL wrote:Webinar is a liguistic abortion.
So, while we're on the subject, is blog.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18305
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by dbcooper » 15 Nov 2011, 19:05

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
JasonL wrote:Webinar is a liguistic abortion.
So, while we're on the subject, is blog.
Ridgely is a bloc-notes man. Who knew?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12679
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Ellie » 15 Nov 2011, 20:35

JasonL wrote:Webinar is a liguistic abortion.
OH GOD THIS FOREVER
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3241
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Jasper » 16 Nov 2011, 09:46

Infomercial.

Fuck you, it's a 30-minute commercial.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16260
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Aresen » 16 Nov 2011, 16:46

A clarification my boss requires:

Compromise – an agreement reached between the parties to a transaction, one or more of whom is foregoing something to which they are either entitled to or otherwise intent on.

Compromised (when used as an adjective) – a state of affairs in which a secret is involuntarily disclosed or a secure situation has been disrupted.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Rachel
Posts: 2664
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Rachel » 16 Nov 2011, 16:54

I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16260
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Aresen » 16 Nov 2011, 17:07

Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
Especially if you eliminated in your panties. :D
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27707
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2011, 17:12

Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
Panties? What the hell is wrong with panties?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18305
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by dbcooper » 16 Nov 2011, 18:05

germane
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13368
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Highway » 16 Nov 2011, 18:09

"Comps"

I still have a hard time using the word "Comps" in regard to my work. It just doesn't sound right to call computations or calculations 'Comps'.

I also don't like it when real estate folks use it for comparable properties.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16260
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Aresen » 16 Nov 2011, 18:12

Highway wrote:"Comps"

I still have a hard time using the word "Comps" in regard to my work. It just doesn't sound right to call computations or calculations 'Comps'.

I also don't like it when real estate folks use it for comparable properties.
OTOH, I like "Comps" when I am in Vegas.

Of course, they don't distribute many around the penny slots. :)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6785
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by tr0g » 16 Nov 2011, 18:23

Warren wrote:
Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
Panties? What the hell is wrong with panties?
They're in the way?

Back on topic, I have a loathing of the fake word 'orientate'. One orients, one does not orientate. I have several others like this dating from my years hanging around with illiterate, uncultured louts.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13368
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Highway » 16 Nov 2011, 18:39

Aresen wrote:
Highway wrote:"Comps"

I still have a hard time using the word "Comps" in regard to my work. It just doesn't sound right to call computations or calculations 'Comps'.

I also don't like it when real estate folks use it for comparable properties.
OTOH, I like "Comps" when I am in Vegas.

Of course, they don't distribute many around the penny slots. :)
I don't even like "Comps" then. Call it 'compensations' or something.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19155
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Nov 2011, 18:44

Highway wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Highway wrote:"Comps"

I still have a hard time using the word "Comps" in regard to my work. It just doesn't sound right to call computations or calculations 'Comps'.

I also don't like it when real estate folks use it for comparable properties.
OTOH, I like "Comps" when I am in Vegas.

Of course, they don't distribute many around the penny slots. :)
I don't even like "Comps" then. Call it 'compensations' or something.
In the Vegas case, the term is borrowed from the theater, in which complimentary (free) tickets are called comps. Such tickets are also often called Annie Oakleys because they were typically marked as comps by having a hole punched in them.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28604
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by thoreau » 16 Nov 2011, 19:04

I don't hate the word "various" per se, but I hate the fact that students over-use it as some sort of imagined rhetorical fluorish.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18351
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Nov 2011, 19:13

Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
On this note, a word I hate so much I can't bring myself to type it, much less say it aloud. Represented graphically:

Image

My misogynistic roommate says it all the time and I want to pop him for it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14060
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Kolohe » 16 Nov 2011, 20:49

tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
Panties? What the hell is wrong with panties?
They're in the way?

Back on topic, I have a loathing of the fake word 'orientate'. One orients, one does not orientate. I have several others like this dating from my years hanging around with illiterate, uncultured louts.
I'll admit, I often mixed these terms by occident.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7181
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Jadagul » 16 Nov 2011, 21:02

Kolohe wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
Panties? What the hell is wrong with panties?
They're in the way?

Back on topic, I have a loathing of the fake word 'orientate'. One orients, one does not orientate. I have several others like this dating from my years hanging around with illiterate, uncultured louts.
I'll admit, I often mixed these terms by occident.
For what it's worth, this is actually a dialectical difference sometimes. In England, people look at you funny if you "orient"; in British English "orientate" is correct and "orient is wrong.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12679
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Ellie » 16 Nov 2011, 21:06

Hugh Akston wrote:On this note, a word I hate so much I can't bring myself to type it, much less say it aloud. Represented graphically:

Image
Exception: when it's said by Sean Connery as James Bond.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11288
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by JD » 16 Nov 2011, 21:20

Hugh Akston wrote: On this note, a word I hate so much I can't bring myself to type it, much less say it aloud. Represented graphically:

Image
On a similar note, "prick" has always bothered me. Not to the degree I can't bring myself to type it, obviously.

"Hubby", the threadstarter, is another good one. "Preggers" or "preg-o", is similarly bad. "Preggers"? What are we, five?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3146
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Number 6 » 16 Nov 2011, 21:34

Hugh Akston wrote:
Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
On this note, a word I hate so much I can't bring myself to type it, much less say it aloud. Represented graphically:

Image

My misogynistic roommate says it all the time and I want to pop him for it.
Tabby?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Rachel
Posts: 2664
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: Words I Happen to Dislike

Post by Rachel » 16 Nov 2011, 22:13

Warren wrote:
Rachel wrote:I know I wrote this on the previous version of Grylliade, but I'm posting it anyway.

Panties.

That word should be eliminated.
Panties? What the hell is wrong with panties?
We have had this conversation before.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests