Iran (so far away)

Aresen

Re: Iran (so far away)

Post by Aresen » 14 May 2019, 21:34

If Bolton's intention is to absolutely guarantee that Iran builds nukes, the surest way is to attack Iran.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 May 2019, 17:54

Are we at the, “Well of a trade war won’t kill the economy, let’s see what happens when the Straights of Hormuz gets shut down.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 May 2019, 18:04

Mo wrote:
15 May 2019, 17:54
Are we at the, “Well of a trade war won’t kill the economy, let’s see what happens when the Straights of Hormuz gets shut down.
The one silver lining to Trump not learning from history is that he won't remember what spiking oil prices and a tanking economy did to the incumbent party in 2008.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jun 2019, 15:12

Who knew ‘Straits of Hormuz’ was the Persian term for ‘Gulf of Tonkin’?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jun 2019, 15:50

Mo wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 15:12
Who knew ‘Straits of Hormuz’ was the Persian term for ‘Gulf of Tonkin’?
fuck
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2019, 17:12

fuck x2
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Jun 2019, 18:03

It just seems so transparently obvious though? I haven't dug down more than headlines but what possible motivation does Iran have for doing this sort of thing? Flase flags have to be plausible.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jun 2019, 18:22

dead_elvis wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 18:03
It just seems so transparently obvious though? I haven't dug down more than headlines but what possible motivation does Iran have for doing this sort of thing? Flase flags have to be plausible.
I can see an argument that the hard-line religious types in Iran would benefit politically if the US was to act militarily against the Iranian government.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jun 2019, 18:29

The thing that makes it stand out as fishy is the fact that one of the ships that was attacked was headed for Japan and Abe was in Iran. At the very least it seems ill timed and the closest it could possibly be are Houthi rebels. OTOH, KSA makes more sense.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jun 2019, 18:37

Mo wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 18:29
The thing that makes it stand out as fishy is the fact that one of the ships that was attacked was headed for Japan and Abe was in Iran. At the very least it seems ill timed and the closest it could possibly be are Houthi rebels. OTOH, KSA makes more sense.
How dare you suggest our noble, moderate, peaceful allies in the WoT and the War Against Yemen engage in a false flag operation?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jun 2019, 18:45

Thing is, everyone must be watching these waters for all sorts of reasons. Does KSA have the covert ops capabilities to do this and not get caught?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jun 2019, 22:19

AP wrote:Like in Fujairah, dozens of ships ranging from massive oil tankers to smaller pleasure boats, traditional dhows and cargo vessels ply the waters of the strait and the Gulf of Oman. The navies of Iran, Oman, the UAE and the U.S. regularly patrol, but the waters are vast and lit only by the moonlight at night, allowing small vessels to approach without warning.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2019, 22:25

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 22:19
AP wrote:Like in Fujairah, dozens of ships ranging from massive oil tankers to smaller pleasure boats, traditional dhows and cargo vessels ply the waters of the strait and the Gulf of Oman. The navies of Iran, Oman, the UAE and the U.S. regularly patrol, but the waters are vast and lit only by the moonlight at night, allowing small vessels to approach without warning.
As opposed to all the large bodies of water with great nighttime lighting?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2019, 17:07

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 22:25
Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 22:19
As opposed to all the large bodies of water with great nighttime lighting?
The night is dark and full of terrors.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jun 2019, 13:13

So, one advantage of flying killer robots is that shooting one down isn't nearly the escalating thing as a dead pilot splattered all over the evening news.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jun 2019, 13:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 13:13
So, one advantage of flying killer robots is that shooting one down isn't nearly the escalating thing as a dead pilot splattered all over the evening news.
The stories I have seen all say it was over the Strait of Hormuz without specifics. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard claims it was in Iranian airspace.

It is obviously possible for both to be true, but if the Iranians are correct, they had every right to do so. (I know there are disputes about where the boundaries are and sometimes international law does not recognize national claims even inside 12 miles.)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jun 2019, 14:29

Aresen wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 13:36
Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 13:13
The stories I have seen all say it was over the Strait of Hormuz without specifics. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard claims it was in Iranian airspace.

It is obviously possible for both to be true, but if the Iranians are correct, they had every right to do so. (I know there are disputes about where the boundaries are and sometimes international law does not recognize national claims even inside 12 miles.)
The Strait of Hormuz is only 21 miles wide at its narrowest point, but the reports I've seen give a claimed US position that's not even on the Iranian side of the waterway.

As for right, eh. Countries probe each others' airspace all the time. They don't shoot down manned planes probing their airspace all the time (though they do often harass observation planes outside their airspace). Drones are a different matter, and one that doesn't seem entirely hashed out, yet. Shooting one down is a definite act, but "They broke our machine—you know, one of those things we promote by pointing out how disposable it ultimately is?" isn't a casus belli that's easy to sell.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Jun 2019, 15:17

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 14:29
isn't a casus belli that's easy to sell.
Don't need to sell it to people who already pre-ordered it, unfortunately.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Jun 2019, 16:30

If you fly a spy drone over my house I have zero qualms about filling it with birdshot. If it’s you flying over my house spying in an autogyro, I have qualms.

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Jun 2019, 02:20

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Jun 2019, 11:40

I would like to believe Trump changed his mind after considering the consequences, but it's more likely to have been because of acid reflux.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Jun 2019, 12:29

One for the Cum Boys:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Sep 2019, 01:45

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Sep 2019, 13:32

dbcooper wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 01:45
I wonder if this will have an effect on Iran's nuclear program. I'm not sure if China wants to deal with the instability a nuclear Iran would cause.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 13:59

Painboy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 13:32
I wonder if this will have an effect on Iran's nuclear program. I'm not sure if China wants to deal with the instability a nuclear Iran would cause.
Or it could empower Iran, because a strike on Iran would also be a strike on Chinese interests.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston