Iran (so far away)

Taktix®

Re: Iran (so far away)

Post by Taktix® » 01 Apr 2015, 12:18

Mo wrote:I will acknowledge, however, we should also acknowledge the following:

nuclear Iran > nuclear NoKo
Greater threat? Greater good? Greater beard?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Apr 2015, 13:02

Beard for certain. That's just science.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Apr 2015, 13:21

Probably posted elsewhere, too, but still relevant after all these years...

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2015, 13:25

Iran's leadership is less crazy than NoKo and more easy to deal with. Heck, I'd say that nuclear Iran is preferable to nuclear Pakistan.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2015, 16:08

The fundamental(ist) fact is that Iran cannot be prevented from obtaining nukes if it is determined to do so.

Israel and the US can bomb and attack the above-ground sites like Isfahan and set them back a few years.

That will only make them more determined to build nukes but they will use places too deep for even the "earthquake bombs" to get at the site. Then they will be back with nukes and really pissed off about all the civilians that died in Isfahan and other places.

(Oh. And anyone who tried to be 'moderate' towards the West will either be dead or in prison.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Apr 2015, 13:31

The more I think about it, the biggest benefit of keeping Iran from building a nuke is not the danger of Iran having nukes but the danger of Iran's neighbors building nukes in response. I could, if absolutely necessary, stomach the idea of a Persian nuclear program, but Saudi princes with nukes? Oh fuck no. Not even fucking going there. The one war I might actually support would be a war to keep Saudi princes from getting nukes. And while I can't see Iran ever becoming a failed state, I can totally see Saudi Arabia becoming a failed state with princes auctioning off all of the state's assets on eBay. No. Fucking. Way.

If keeping Iran from getting nukes keeps Saudi Arabia from going there, then good.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Apr 2015, 14:58

Is there some particular reason why a nucular Saudi Arabia is beyond the pale?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Apr 2015, 15:04

Hugh Akston wrote:Is there some particular reason why a nucular Saudi Arabia is beyond the pale?
Aside from the fact that, when it comes to nuclear proliferation, it is a case of the more the scarier, there is the fact that the House of Saud has sponsored the most extreme forms of Islamic fundamentalism for generations. If (when?) the House of Saud finally meets the headsman, the successor regime is going to look a lot like Isis.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2015, 07:57

Fear not; if the Saudis get nukes, we'll just invade Iraq again. The old excuses for why torture and pre-emptive invasion are okay when America does it were getting stale, anyway.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Apr 2015, 11:31

thoreau wrote:The more I think about it, the biggest benefit of keeping Iran from building a nuke is not the danger of Iran having nukes but the danger of Iran's neighbors building nukes in response.
Like Isra-- oh.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 May 2015, 06:33

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2015, 11:02

This creates a dilemma. On the one hand, the Saudi royals are a bunch of lying, hypocritical, medieval thugs who would betray their own mother to her face just for shits and giggles. So I don't want to reward bad behavior by giving them a chance to throw a monkey wrench into a major nuclear deal.

On the other hand, everything I just wrote is exactly why the world should do whatever it takes to keep the Saudis from getting nukes.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 14 May 2015, 11:05

Just seems like a matter of time before they all have 'em, from Burundi to Liechtenstein to the Marshall Islands.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 May 2015, 11:35

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 May 2015, 11:47

fyodor wrote:Just seems like a matter of time before they all have 'em, from Burundi to Liechtenstein to the Marshall Islands.
For some, it is a fairly deliberate calculation NOT to get them. Too much initial investment and too much effort to control and maintain.

Really, I think nukes are about the worst bargain as a weapons system for any country other than a superpower. Even worse than an F35.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 May 2015, 11:49

Jennifer wrote:Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again?
Sigged.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 14 May 2015, 11:49

Jennifer wrote:Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again?
We have to wait until we get another Bush in the White House.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2015, 11:54

Aresen wrote:Really, I think nukes are about the worst bargain as a weapons system for any country other than a superpower.
Or a country that a superpower might take an interest in invading.
tr0g wrote:
That will be awesome, because it will coincide with the Blues' rediscovery of anti-war sentiment.
--Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 May 2015, 14:21

tr0g wrote:
So, 20 months?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 May 2015, 14:36

thoreau wrote:
tr0g wrote:
That will be awesome, because it will coincide with the Blues' rediscovery of anti-war sentiment.
Not if that Bush's last name is Clinton.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 May 2015, 15:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Not if that Bush's last name is Clinton.
So, 20 years then?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 14 May 2015, 16:27

thoreau wrote:
Aresen wrote:Really, I think nukes are about the worst bargain as a weapons system for any country other than a superpower.
Or a country that a superpower might take an interest in invading.
tr0g wrote:
Which always galvanizes into a formidable opposition! ;)
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 May 2015, 16:11

Lindsay Graham wrote: Everything I know about the Iranians I learned at the pool room. I met a lot of liars, and I know the Iranians are lying.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 May 2015, 16:14

Mo wrote:
Lindsay Graham wrote: Everything I know about the Iranians I learned at the pool room. I met a lot of liars, and I know the Iranians are lying.
That's dumber than a stoned frat boy.
--Jake

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 May 2015, 16:23

Lindsey Graham is gonna make us pine for the days when we could just blame Senatorial chickenhawking on Grandpa McCain's PTSD.