Rand Paul.....sigh.

thoreau

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by thoreau » 08 Aug 2018, 14:31

Rand Paul, before going to Russia, asked Trump to write him a letter of introduction to Putin.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rand-paul- ... 1533752234

In general I'm fine with Senators going to foreign capitals to develop relationships. It's a long-standing practice and probably a healthy one. But I'd be much less peeved at him if he didn't make a point of capitalizing specifically on the Trump-Putin relationship. He should be focusing on the institutional relationships between a branch of the US government and the Russian government, not the individual bromance between Trump and Putin.

Then again, Putin's popular with the GOP base and Rand Paul is a panderer...
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2018, 16:47

That's just skeevy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Aug 2018, 17:03

I just can't quite figure out what he thinks he'll get from this pandering. Does he see himself as a Presidential prospect in 2024 (or 2020 if shit goes down for the Trump administration)? Does he think pandering to Putin will help him in his re-election? IIRC he's not up for re-election by 2022, and I would not be placing long-term bets for or against Putin's reputation in the US. Not with stuff in a state of flux.

Or is this part of his family's penchant for raising money from the skeevier elements of the GOP base?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Aug 2018, 18:23

Why not all the above?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex